walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

6y.old Cheyenne 2nd Munro - Glencoe in 55km/h wind,but happy

6y.old Cheyenne 2nd Munro - Glencoe in 55km/h wind,but happy

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:59 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 18/08/2018

Time taken: 3.32 hours

Distance: 5.01 km

Ascent: 657m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Route:

RK_gpx _2018-08-18_1437.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

What a summer ! Climbed Ben Nevis with my 27 years old daughter in May ( my 21st climb of Ben Nevis )…( report here: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80410 ) :D , Cuillins two Munros one week ago with my 20 years old son ( Cuillins "Airy scrambling" report here: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=83474 ) and Buachaille Etive Beag in Glencoe with my 6 years old daughter Cheyenne today :D :D :D
It was her 2nd Munro, we did her 1st one in July - Beinn na Lap from Corrour and since the time she wanted more :D
Her 1st Munro - report from July here: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=82427
She did some more hills with me, but today was the time to do her 2nd Munro as I was off on weekend ( usually working on weekends ). The original plan was to do both Munros on Buachaille Etive Beag, but the forecast did not look good for this weekend. Almost decided for Ben Ledi or Ben Vorlich last night, but checked the forecast this morning again it was good to see that Glencoe improved - showed the visibility very good or excellent for afternoon ( most of the other hills looked worse - poor, very poor or moderate visibility ). The only minus was the wind 42 - 58 km/h on the summit level, feeling temperature 1dg. of Celsius, but not rain. :crazy: :? :roll:

Decision made despite the fact that we will start very late and get back home just before darkness. We left home at 12:00 noon and parked at Glencoe at 14:30. It was almost clear that in this time we will do only the one Munro - Stob Coire Raineach and even the one will be good enough for Cheyenne because of the strong and very cold wind, but we kept it opened to see how it will go in the higher level. We warmed up soon after start when gaining the ascend, but in higher level some drizzle and cold wind forced us to dress jackets and the near the summit Cheyenne used also her gloves. She did very well, bravely climbed in the wind, but I saw that she was struggling in the exposed higher level as the wind was really strong for her, but she did not want to give up. She only wanted me to hold her hand for stability, but she did not feel cold as we were ready and prepared for the wind. She was so happy to see the summit and started almost running to touch the cairn. :D :lol: :D Too cold there for any rest or food, we just made selfie, looked all directions and walked around shortly and the started our way back down. She loves adventures and challenges and despite the wind the conditions was not so bad to use the steepy pathless descend on the North side...I was holding her hand and we descended carefully through the scree, boulders and wet grass...Good for her to experience what is it sometimes about in the mountains and start to learn how to cope an obstacles and be ready for the future...but still under my control :wink: We got safely back to the car park and then also enjoyed the way home, talking about the mountains and the other things, but the best thing for me was to hear from her again: "It was the Best day ever !" :D :D :D
Happy that she enjoyed and that she want to continue...looking forward to do another outdoor adventure with her again, hope soon ! :D :lol: :D 8) Thank you Cheyenne :D

Video Movie:

Photostory:

Last edited by Petr Dakota on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: 6y.old Cheyenne 2nd Munro - Glencoe in 55km/h wind,but h

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Cheyenne in Glencoe 2 years ago ( age 4 ) - Lost Valley in August 2016 :-)

20160826_160953.jpg
20160826_155749.jpg
Last edited by Petr Dakota on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:40 pm

I remember those steps and they're mighty big ones for a wee lassie! Very well done Cheyenne! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Cheyenne: climbing practice in Keswick - Lake District :D 8) :lol:

Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby 1Magnus » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Those little gaiters that she's wearing - how cute are those! :)

Well done to Cheynne and Dad.
1Magnus
Mountain Walker

Munros:150   

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:40 pm

1Magnus wrote:Those little gaiters that she's wearing - how cute are those! :)

Well done to Cheynne and Dad.

Thank you :D I'm happy that she is enjoying the mountains and I will have determined walking buddy for the hills :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland