walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

More catching up, this time in the North Western Fells.

More catching up, this time in the North Western Fells.

Postby martin.h » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:53 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Barrow, Causey Pike, Outerside, Scar Crags

Hewitts included on this walk: Causey Pike, Scar Crags

Date walked: 10/11/2018

Time taken: 4.1

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1010m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another day nibbling away at Denise's "catch ups", we're slowly but surely realising our goal of finishing the Wainwrights together on the same hill on the same day sometime in the first half of next year, well, that's the plan, lets hope it works out :lol:

We hadn't been out for a few weeks so we felt a bit stale and sluggish, we opted for a short day on some of the smaller fells above Braithwaite, we chose Barrow, Scar Crags, Causey Pike and Outerside, on the map it looked like a nice round, the "catch ups" today were Scar Crags and Causey Pike.

We managed to get a roadside parking spot in Braithwaite near the church, there was a lack of spaces in the village because most had been taken, we were lucky, it was only half nine on an iffy weather day but a lot of people were out.

We were off in good time heading towards Braithwaite Lodge and the start of the climb up Barrow. The weather was cool, a bit breezy and overcast, there was rain forecast but that wasn't going to bother us until early afternoon, by then we were hoping to be off the fells.

There's a motorway of a path leading up Barrow, it's at a reasonable gradient so our slow old muscles didn't object too much being forced to do some work, a nice steady plod drove us on and upwards stopping only to take photo's, the only reason, honest :lol:

Ascent views

The way ahead, nice "motorway"

A bit of huffing and puffing we were on the top of Barrow 45 minutes from the car, which surprised us considering our lack days out :lol: We could see the rest of our route now and it looked like we were going to manage most of it without getting wet.

Summit Denise.

Leaving Barrow the plan was to do Outerside next but the path leading to the dip between Sail and Scar Crags looked too tempting to leave so we decided, at this point, to give Outerside a miss as we'd both done it and concentrate on the "catch ups" just to make sure we'd get 'em.

Outerside and the path :)

Low Force, nice water feature.

Force Crag mine buildings.

This path was a good one and helped us to cover a lot of ground fairly quickly, it skirts the base of Outerside and soon arrives at the point where the path over Outerside joins it at around NY209211, Around this point I noticed a path leading from Causey Pike and another one through the heather leading up Outerside, I had a light bulb moment, I'll explain later.

A little further on we passed a cairn which marks the start of the proper Outerside path, the light bulb grew brighter :lol:

We arrived at the little dip between Sail and Scar Crags, the wind hit us like a wall, t'was a bit chilly as well.
Here we joined the path from Sail and Crag Hill and started up Scar Crags

This was a lovely ascent and height was gained easily, we were soon on the top of Scar Crags

Causey Pike was tempting us to carry on so after a few piccy's we were on our way along a super little ridge heading for the summit, easy walking and the views are superb.

Sail and Crag Hill

Outerside with Skiddaw in the distance.

Sand Hill, Hopegill Head and Whiteside

We passed the top of the path I'd noticed earlier, the bulb became blinding.

On the summit of Causey Pike I looked at our intended route off the hills and the return to Braithwaite, that was when the bulb became unbearably bright, why don't we descend that path, get to that cairn and go back via Outerside, surely that was a more entertaining way back to Braithwaite and we'd get another Wainwright in to add to this years tally, Denise was all for it so that was that and the bulb dimmed a bit and went back in it's box.

Causey Pike.

Looking back

Sunny Skiddaw behind

Can we go now?

Just a couple more :lol:

We set off retracing our steps from the summit to the path leading back to the cairn on the main path below.

At the cairn we had lunch out of the wind, then set off up Outerside. It's a bit boggy here for the short level section but as soon as we started climbing it got dryer and the going was good all the way to the summit.

At the summit the views are great with the bigger hills around us.

It started raining here as well so we got covered up, even the rucksacks, as we finished all the covering and continued on our way the rain promptly stopped :roll: we couldn't be bothered to get uncovered so we carried on, just in case it rained again, we managed it all the way back to Braithwaite without a drop of rain:lol:

Looking back to Outerside from Stile End

Grisedale Pike

Causey Pike

Towards Cat Bells

Skiddaw with hat on

Back at the car just a shade over four hours from the off, gear in the boot, boot lid shut, in car, doors shut the heavens opened and it poured down, how's that for timing :D
A really enjoyable day out, better than being sat at home, that's for sure.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: More catching up, this time in the North Western Fells.

Postby dav2930 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:45 pm

Looks an interesting route and a good choice of fells on the day. I'd forgotten how enticing the green path (or "motorway" :lol: ) up Barrow looks; must go up there again sometime. Nice report :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby trailmasher » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:41 pm

A very fine round indeed Martin 8). Good report with some fine pics of the day :clap: Good to see that you're getting on top of your Wainwright's to do list :wink:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby martin.h » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:40 pm

dav2930 wrote:Looks an interesting route and a good choice of fells on the day. I'd forgotten how enticing the green path (or "motorway" :lol: ) up Barrow looks; must go up there again sometime. Nice report :)

Thanks Dave,
All the way up Barrow I wasn't sure whether we'd actually been up there or not, it's surprising how you forget things, at least I know for sure now.
Cheers.

trailmasher wrote:A very fine round indeed Martin 8). Good report with some fine pics of the day :clap: Good to see that you're getting on top of your Wainwright's to do list :wink:

Thanks TM,
Yes, I like those fells, plenty of character and it doesn't take too much effort to gain height.
I think sheer determination is setting in now, we're so close to finishing, all available weekends are pretty much taken care of :wink:
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland