walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Choin

Beinn a'Choin

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Choin, near Inversnaid

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Choin

Date walked: 20/08/2018

Distance: 8.28 km

Ascent: 703m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had never been down the B829 before never mind driving down the minor road at the head of it along the shores of Loch Arklet. I had not read up too much about this hill and had parked at the foot of the private road up to the Inversnaid Farm not knowing that there had been a new car park formed just above the farm.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2.jpg
Passing the farm
3.jpg
After walking along the track for a distance I decided to go cross country over fairly deep grass slopes.
4.jpg
After climbing a deer fence I came across, no sign of a gate or style I'm afraid
5.jpg
I climbed over long grass and headed for the far side of this gully then climbed diagonally across the slope to hit the ridge beyond the top of Stob an Phainne
6.jpg
Looking back to Loch Arklet
7.jpg
Crossing over the grassy slopes to below the rocky ridge and heading for Bealach a' Mheim
8.jpg
Going up the middle of these humps
9.jpg
Hitting a line of fence posts and first sight of the summit
10.jpg
Looking over Loch Arklet
11.jpg
Looking North from the cairn
12.jpg
At the summit cairn
13.jpg
View from the summit looking South
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Beinn a'Choin

Postby Yorjick » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:16 pm

Hi Rod

Great report!

However, regarding your comments about Loch Arklet, I think you have mistaken Loch Lomond for Loch Arklet! :lol:

One of your super photos shows Ben Lomond very clearly and and the Loch below right is Loch Lomond.

Interesting to compare your route with ours!

Ours had more ascent but almost formed a horseshoe (of sorts).

Yorjick (Steve)
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland