walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ullapool pub grub

Re: Ullapool pub grub

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi Graeme. The Seaforth does ok food but on recent trips i've found it a bit expensive.especially for a pint. I've also eaten in The Frigate a couple of times when i fancied pizza & that was good,but my go to place has got to be the Indian restaurant which sits at the entrance to Broomfield campsite,just superb. For a pint & a good pub atmosphere The Ferryboat is the one,but never eaten in there.
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby Robinho08 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:26 am

Arch Inn. 8)
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Graeme D » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:54 am

Morecambe Monkey wrote:Hi Graeme. The Seaforth does ok food but on recent trips i've found it a bit expensive.especially for a pint. I've also eaten in The Frigate a couple of times when i fancied pizza & that was good,but my go to place has got to be the Indian restaurant which sits at the entrance to Broomfield campsite,just superb. For a pint & a good pub atmosphere The Ferryboat is the one,but never eaten in there.

Cheers Pat. I had clocked the Indian restaurant when I did a wee search. Always work checking out the local curry house! At the moment though I am more concerned about the behaviour of the weather gods than the quality of the local hostelries and eateries! :o
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby larry groo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:15 am

Another vote for the Arch Inn.

Been there thrice now, good banter and decent grub. Seems to stay a bit quieter being up the end of the main street.
larry groo

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Graeme D wrote:
Morecambe Monkey wrote:Hi Graeme. The Seaforth does ok food but on recent trips i've found it a bit expensive.especially for a pint. I've also eaten in The Frigate a couple of times when i fancied pizza & that was good,but my go to place has got to be the Indian restaurant which sits at the entrance to Broomfield campsite,just superb. For a pint & a good pub atmosphere The Ferryboat is the one,but never eaten in there.

Cheers Pat. I had clocked the Indian restaurant when I did a wee search. Always work checking out the local curry house! At the moment though I am more concerned about the behaviour of the weather gods than the quality of the local hostelries and eateries! :o

Aye it's looking a bit on the lively side to say the least. My long weekend too. :(
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby Sgurr » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:19 pm

GraemeD, just found this on facebook, posted 24 hours apart with the comment that it is getting pretty flooded in the NW Higlands just now. MIght find your route to Ullapool impeded, and it is getting worse on Friday,allegedly

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Iainm » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:19 pm

I ate in the Seaforth in April this year and, as already mentioned, the food was average and quite expensive for what it was.

A shame really, I remember it being really good when I first visited around 10 years ago.
Iainm
Hill Bagger

Postby Graeme D » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:56 pm

I shall not be put off by a touch of precipitation! :lol:

tsunami.png
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Sgurr » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:38 pm

Graeme D wrote:I shall not be put off by a touch of precipitation! :lol:

tsunami.png

:lol: :clap: :crazy:
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby KeithS » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:55 pm

Hi Graeme,

Sorry I missed this post and realise this is too late for your trip but if you go back (or anyone else goes) this might help.

I eat out in Ullapool about once a month and my 'go to' place has not been mentioned yet. It is the Morefield Motel which is just off the main road on the way up north. I know it is getting a little tired as a motel but the food in the restaurant has never disappointed and the staff are very friendly (and Runrig fans!). My favourite meal is the Ragout of seafood in a prawn bisque. I don't have to order it, Bev just asks 'is it the usual?' when I walk in. Well worth the 90 mile round trip for the evening.

The Ceilidh Place is also good, with a nice atmosphere, as is The Arch, which I have been to a couple of times and found to be well above average. The Ferry Bridge Inn is very good pub food, but often quite loud and busy (which isn't always a bad thing).

I too was a little disappointed with the Seaforth, OK but a little overrated. The Argyll was very ordinary pub food and I won't bother going back. I haven't tried the Indian, but have heard quite good reports.

I hope you and Mrs D enjoyed wherever you ended up.

If anyone wants any recommendations for the Gairloch and surrounding areas there aren't many places I haven't tried :D

Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Robinho08 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:13 am

Arch Inn and The Seaforth. :)
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby innkeeper » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:12 am

The Seaforth changed hands a few years ago. Its now owned by a pub chain. Think that is when it started to go down hill. Even the locals had a moan about beer prices. As for the Indian heard the food is good. But they dont have a license to sell alcohol but your allowed to take your own.
innkeeper
Ambler

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion