walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Easedale round in Autumn sunshine

An Easedale round in Autumn sunshine

Postby dav2930 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blea Rigg, Calf Crag, Gibson Knott, Harrison Stickle, Helm Crag, High Raise (Central Fells), Pavey Ark, Thunacar Knott

Hewitts included on this walk: Harrison Stickle, High Raise (Central Fells)

Date walked: 27/10/2018

Time taken: 8

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 1123m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With an excellent forecast, Saturday 27th October seemed a good opportunity to do this walk, which I'd had in mind for a bit. Did a similar route on October 11th 2015 (I can hardly believe that was three years ago!) as part of Karl's mission to bag all the Wainwrights, but logistically that meant taking in Silver Howe, all the Langdale Pikes and Tarn Crag. This time we could miss out the awkward outliers and include instead High Raise and the splendid Calf Crag - Helm Crag ridge, with the bonus of combining the two scrambles of Jack's Rake and the Howitzer.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A couple of days prior I'd badly cut two fingers on my right hand which entailed a visit to Minor Injuries, landing me with two bulky dressings. The excellent nurse told me the dressings needed to stay on for five days and be kept clean and dry. Luckily the cuts were on the backs of my fingers, so with a bit of care I'd still be able to manage the scrambles (though I didn't tell the nurse that :lol: ).

The weather was sunny, crisp and clear. Going up Easedale it was very windy and we wondered if it would be blowing a hoolie on the tops.

DSC03961.JPG
Cascade in Sourmilk Gill

DSC03963.JPG
Easedale Tarn and Tarn Crag

DSC03966.JPG
Over Easedale Tarn to the Helvellyn range

DSC03971.JPG
Stickle Tarn, Harrison Stickle and Pavey Ark

Fortunately the wind didn't seem to get any worse with height, and the foot of Jack's Rake was quite sheltered, so we sat down for coffee and a bite. Just as the views and the warm sunshine began to impinge themselves on us, at least ten people turned up, complete with helmets, obviously intent on the Rake. We let them get on with it. Then a few others appeared and we let them get on with it too.

DSC03975.JPG
At the start of Jack's Rake

Meantime I remembered the words of the nurse and decided I'd wear a pair of liner gloves to keep my finger dressings as clean as possible. Keeping them dry would just be a matter of avoiding contact with wet rock or vegetation.

DSC03977.JPG
To be kept clean and dry on nurse's orders!

Once the others had reached the rowan at the top of the first steep section, we set off up the Rake ourselves.

DSC03978.JPG
Karl coming up the Rake

Higher up we kept to the left edge which allowed us to by-pass a couple of chaps who were struggling a bit in the trench.

DSC03980.JPG
Folks further up

At the big ledge above, the main group had stopped and kindly allowed us through.

DSC03981.JPG
Stickle Tarn, Langdale and Windernere

We were expecting the wind to hit us strongly as we exited the Rake onto the summit rocks of Pavey Ark, but it was just a chilly breeze really. There was some ice about, though, which showed how much colder it had turned since the mild weather of the previous few days. The compensation was the clarity of the views. :)

Onward to Harrison Stickle, then the enjoyable walk over Thunacar Knott and High Raise to Greenup Edge.

DSC03990.JPG
View east from Harrison Stickle

DSC03992.JPG
Summit of Harrison Stickle looking to the Coniston fells

DSC03993.JPG
Crinkle Crags, Bowfell, Pike o' Sickle, Great End, Gable

DSC03994.JPG
Great End, Allen Crags, the Gables, top of Pillar

DSC03997.JPG
Glaramara and the north-western fells from Thunacar Knot

DSC04001.JPG
Thunacar Knot, popular as ever!

DSC04002.JPG
Summit of High Raise, looking up Langstrath to Esk Pike

DSC04007.JPG
Skiddaw from High Raise

DSC04008.JPG
Rosthwaite Fell and the north-western fells from High Raise

The path down from Greenup is currently in a rough state but is being repaired. Easier ground is soon reached and a short ascent leads to the summit of Calf Crag.

DSC04011.JPG
Summit of Calf Crag, looking back to Greenup Edge

Just past the summit was a nice sheltered spot with grass to sit on and a south-facing wall of rock to lean against - ideal for a siesta! :D

After this we were well fortified for the excellent ridge traverse to Helm Crag.

DSC04019.JPG
Helm Crag from Gibson Knott

DSC04021.JPG
The Howitzer

Nice little scramble to the top of the Howitzer. Bit too breezy for any balancing acts though!

DSC04022.JPG
Karl on his way up the Howitzer

DSC04024.JPG
The Lion and the Lamb

Beautiful late afternoon light as we made our way back down to Grasmere.

DSC04026.JPG
Grasmere from The Lion

Stopped at The Sportsman's on the way back home for a pint of Snecklifter and a healthy bowl of chips. Nice day out! :D
Last edited by dav2930 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: An Easdale round in Autumn sunshine

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:19 pm

Great photos of one of my favourite parts of the world!

The route you chose has things of interest every step of the way.

Despite my many visits to this area, I have only done Jack's Rake once, and by coincidence I approached it from Easedale.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby amiwicksy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Wow what fantastic pics and stunning weather for you looks like you had a cracking time, such a lovely part of the country too have to get back there and do more

Ami
amiwicksy
Munro compleatist

Munros:205   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   

Re: An Easedale round in Autumn sunshine

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:17 pm

What perfect weather to enjoy this wonderful place in! I've been intending to get back up here after my only venture hitherto a few years ago in snow and clag, perhaps a multi-day trip...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby dav2930 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:54 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Great photos of one of my favourite parts of the world!

The route you chose has things of interest every step of the way.

Despite my many visits to this area, I have only done Jack's Rake once, and by coincidence I approached it from Easedale.

Tim

Thanks Tim :)

Yes, we enjoyed this route very much; I think the Easedale approach to Stickle Tarn has a lot to commend it. The weather being as it was I took an awful lot of photos, and it was difficult whittling them down to the required number for the report! :roll:

amiwicksy wrote:Wow what fantastic pics and stunning weather for you looks like you had a cracking time, such a lovely part of the country too have to get back there and do more

Ami

Thanks very much Ami :)

We were certainly very lucky with the weather and, yes, we did have a cracking time. You'd really have to try hard not to get a few decent photos on a day like that! :lol:

The Lakes is a very special place and I feel privileged to live on its doorstep.

Alteknacker wrote:What perfect weather to enjoy this wonderful place in! I've been intending to get back up here after my only venture hitherto a few years ago in snow and clag, perhaps a multi-day trip...

Thanks AK - yep, it was about time we got some decent weather on a weekend! :lol:

It certainly is a wonderful place. I hope the weather gods are kinder for your next visit! :D
dav2930
Ambler

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:52 am

Looked a lovely day out in the fells, such a picturesque part as your fine pics show.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby dav2930 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:59 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Looked a lovely day out in the fells, such a picturesque part as your fine pics show.

Thanks JK. Yes it was a real treat. You can certainly understand why Wordsworth chose to live in Grasmere. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:19 pm

dav2930 wrote:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:Looked a lovely day out in the fells, such a picturesque part as your fine pics show.

Thanks JK. Yes it was a real treat. You can certainly understand why Wordsworth chose to live in Grasmere. :)

I'd be very fat if I lived in Grasmere, can't resist that gingerbread :oops:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby dav2930 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:08 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:
dav2930 wrote:

I'd be very fat if I lived in Grasmere, can't resist that gingerbread :oops:

:lol: Yeah, I think I'd be the same - far too many tea shops selling sticky buns and fancy cakes! :crazy:
dav2930
Ambler

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:59 pm

Great pics of a great walk. Takes me back 25-30 years. Hate to think how many times I've been round there. We used normally to set off up Silver Howe from the top of Red Bank. Sergeant Man appeared on the horizon early on but took an age to reach. Descent by Far Easdale - late lamented Deerbield Crag :( - or ridge to Lion and lamb
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby dav2930 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:42 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Great pics of a great walk. Takes me back 25-30 years. Hate to think how many times I've been round there. We used normally to set off up Silver Howe from the top of Red Bank. Sergeant Man appeared on the horizon early on but took an age to reach. Descent by Far Easdale - late lamented Deerbield Crag :( - or ridge to Lion and lamb

Thanks Tony. Yeah it was a shame when Deer Bield Buttress collapsed, classic Arthur Dolphin route consigned to oblivion, never got round to doing it. I'm hoping Overhanging Bastion on Castle Rock might be climbable again after the recent big rockfall there :think: :)
dav2930
Ambler

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:53 pm

dav2930 wrote:Thanks Tony. Yeah it was a shame when Deer Bield Buttress collapsed, classic Arthur Dolphin route consigned to oblivion, never got round to doing it. I'm hoping Overhanging Bastion on Castle Rock might be climbable again after the recent big rockfall there :think: :)

Sometime around 1960 I started up the Chimney and got to the point where you look thru to the crack, but everything shook and was scarily loose, and the traverse out R was a mass of green slime so not surprisingly I retreated :lol: :lol:
I thought the rockfall was taking out the top of OB - but I've not been there since the crack even appeared
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland