walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wild camping on the hottest day of the year

Wild camping on the hottest day of the year

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:44 pm

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Date walked: 29/06/2018

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Scotland had recorded its highest temperature of the year (and in some places the highest ever recorded ) so I headed back to the hills where it all started.... for a summit camp in glorious weather....

Glas Maol Summit Camp

Scotland hadn’t seen weather like this in years – a proper summer arrived and I was determined to make the most of it, as opposed to waiting till normal service resumed and then regretting not getting out!
The week before I enjoyed an emotional wild camp on Stob Coire nan Lochan in Glencoe and with the good weather continuing, I decided to head east this time. I didn’t have as much time so I decided on Glas Maol which would give me easy access from the height of the Glenshee Ski centre. During the day the temperature had risen above 30 degrees in parts of Scotland, and in fact some locations had recorded their highest ever temperature, maybe it was a good evening for heading high and enjoying some cool breezes!

Leaving the car in the evening I started on the short hike through the ski centre before reaching the steeper slopes that would lead me to the summit. Lots of places to pitch and I eventually back tracked to the edge of the summit plateaux , close to where the track headed up. My reason was two fold ; firstly I needed to be back home early and secondly the views from here were fantastic looking over the Cairngorms – what a place to camp! There was a slight breeze which was lovely and no midgies – yes NO midge, doesn’t get more perfect than that!! Lol… An early start saw me take in the sunrise over Lochnagar and I was soon heading back to the car and homewards before the majority of people had risen from their slumber – a cracking evening on the hill….

ImageSunset over the Cairngorms by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagemoon set Glenshee by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageLoking up Glenshee at dusk by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagecairngorms by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
Last edited by wilkiemurray on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: Wild camping on the hottest day of the year

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:21 am

As expected, some beautiful cinematography. The sunrise over Lochnagar is superb - really simple, but quite stunning.
If anything could persuade me that these hills were worth the climb, it would be this.
I'd probably be less sniffy if I didn't have to drive so far to get to the Highlands!

PS I smiled at the angular dangular tent on your sac! I can NEVER get my tent to sit square on my sac :roll: :lol: .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:39 pm

Alteknacker wrote:As expected, some beautiful cinematography. The sunrise over Lochnagar is superb - really simple, but quite stunning.
If anything could persuade me that these hills were worth the climb, it would be this.
I'd probably be less sniffy if I didn't have to drive so far to get to the Highlands!

PS I smiled at the angular dangular tent on your sac! I can NEVER get my tent to sit square on my sac :roll: :lol: .

The feel of these hills is so different to the western Highlands - well wort a visit though :)
I lost the tent bag many moons ago wen I inadvertently left both doors of the tent open on a windy evening whilst filming the sunset - came back and didnt realise my mistake till packing up the next morning- ever since the dry bag has never quite fitted the tet correctly!! lol
wilkiemurray

Postby tattie scone » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:41 pm

Cracking vid, thanks for sharing. Gonna be heading up this one soon.
tattie scone
Mountain Walker

Munros:30   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland