walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Honister circuit doesn't disappoint

Honister circuit doesn't disappoint

Postby Pointless Parasite » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:17 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Ard Crags, Castle Crag, Cat Bells, Dale Head, High Spy, Knott Rigg, Maiden Moor, Robinson

Hewitts included on this walk: Dale Head, High Spy, Robinson

Date walked: 15/10/2018

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Time to tackle this bunch of Wainwrights in the Honister/Newlands area. For once, I'd managed to pick the exact right days to go walking. The day before it was blowing 70 mph winds with zero visibility :lol:

I started from Keswick, which meant a long walk along roads and part of the Cumbria Way route.

Skiddaw and Swinside by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

The begining of the route up Ard Crag isn't obvious. There's a farm at the very end of the ridge and a small farm track goes up behind it leading to a small patch of woodland. After that the route disappears so I needed to make my way over the open fell until I reached a more obvious path.

Ard Crag ascent by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Tiny cairn on Ard Crags:

Ard Crags summit by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

The ridge wasn't as narrow as I'd hoped, but pleasant enough.

Ard Crags ridge by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Knott Rigg by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Knott Rigg descent by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Newlands Hause by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

I took a diversion from the ascent of High Snockrigg to fill up my water bottle, then just went off piste, heading directly up Robinson until I eventually rejoined the main path.

Robinson ascent by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Robinson isn't the most interesting mountain in the Lake District, but the views from the top were fantastic.

Sca Fell from Robinson by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

The walk along the ridge from Robinson to Dale Head was fantastic as the sun started to set. There was almost no wind and the visibility was perfect.

Dale Head from Robinson by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

High Spy from Dale Head by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Glaramara from Dale Head by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Esk Pike from Dale Head by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

I stayed the night in a mostly empty youth hostel with a room to myself. Away again by 7.30 after a pot noodle for breakfast :D

Borrowdale from Honister by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Castle Crag was great. One of my favourite Wainwrights. It really does look like some sort of medieval castle in the middle of Borrowdale and looked especially fine with the mist in the fields below.

Castle Crag by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Borrowdale from Castle Crag by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Borrowdale from Castle Crag 2 by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Castle Crag descent by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Derwent Water from Castle Crag by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

I re-traced my steps to head up High Spy, past the old mine workings. I'd not seen a single other human being so far, but that was soon to change the closer I got to Keswick.

High Spy ascent by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Helvellyn from High Spy by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Grasmoor from High Spy by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Maiden Moor didn't look too promising:

Maiden Moor by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

I wasn't really planning on climbing Catbells as well. I'd done this before when I was a young kid with my dad and needed to crawl to the top in the strong winds. Looking down from Maiden Moor, there didn't seem to be too many people on the hill, so I decided to go for it.

Cat Bells by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

The apparent lack of crowds turned out to be an illusion. It was worse than bloody Everest. Hoards of day trippers in a long line stretching down the hill. I'm not some kind of misanthropist. In fact I quite enjoy meeting fellow walkers on the hills, but this was like walking down Keswick high street. Humbug! Harumph!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland