walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My 200th Munro

My 200th Munro

Postby Ponyexpress » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:57 pm

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Date walked: 07/08/2018

Time taken: 3.54 hours

Distance: 11.7 km

Ascent: 787m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Creag Leacach.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I never expected this :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I first started accompanying Pathfinderpaul (husband) as he started walking in Scotland, his old walking partner our daughter Natasha got married and moved to Kent, so as our son got to be a teen I went walking. In 1995 I nearly collapsed on my first big outing on The Five Sisters :roll: :roll: :roll: & its amazing I continued, particularly since pathfinder hadn't worked out how to get back to the car, he thought we could catch a bus :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: So to get to this number is an achievement even if I never finish them all.
The previous day we had biked & climbed Beinn a Bhuide (great day out) which was 199, so the next day I dragged Pathfinder out (we normally have a rest day being pensioners :) ) so I could bag 200.
We parked by the "The Contours"
ImageUntitled by Paul Howard, on Flickr
So far on the holiday we had had fine weather all the way, but the Munro demons obviously wanted to teach me a lesson because once on the ridge into the cloud & then the heavy rain we went. So no photos on the way up until the summit :roll: :roll: Pathfinder had to reach for the GPS and eventually we found the wall that you have to follow to the summit.
ImageCreag Leacach by Paul Howard, on Flickr
But of course once we were over the summit the weather cleared and now you could see the summit :D
ImageIMG_1583 by Paul Howard, on Flickr
The rest of the day was back to our usual weather, but the Munro demon had reminded me of many Munros that you couldn't see :roll: :roll: :roll:
ImageDSCF3052 by Paul Howard, on Flickr
After our first break by a little cairn shelter for first lunch we met a guy who had just done the first three Munros and he was off to ours for his fourth, but he said he hadn't been able to see anything :( :( :( :(
As we neared the second summit Pathfinder couldn't resist pointing back at my 200th in lovely sunshine :roll: :roll:
We soon reached Glas Maol & met a dad with two small childrenwho had come up by the ski runs.
We didn't concentrate coming off and did a bit of a detour which is reflected in the route posted.
We were soon on the way down, but as we passed "number 200" I couldn't resist a bit of "posing" :clap: :clap: :clap:
ImageDSCF3055 by Paul Howard, on Flickr
ImageDSCF3060 by Paul Howard, on Flickr
Once we were down it was into the ski cafe for a drink, but only a pot of tea , though I was offered alcohol :crazy:
We always try to pick up a stone from each summit to take home to add to our Munro Cairn back in Stoke-on-Trent, so onto the stack goes number 200 :D :D :D :D
ImageMunro stones by Paul Howard, on Flickr
Last edited by Ponyexpress on Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ponyexpress
Hill Bagger

Munros:243   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:42
Wainwrights:58   

Re: My 200th Munro

Postby Sgurr » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Good stuff. Reallly really annoying when the hills you climbed in clag turn out lovely behind you. I assume that these (relatively easy ones) came so late on in your Munro bagging career because Pathfinder had done them yonks ago and wanted new ones. My list is a bit like that, tho' I got fed up with not doing these and went and did them by myself. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Congratulations on reaching 200, its a big milestone, but you can't stop now :D :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Ponyexpress » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:29 am

No Pathfinder hadn't done these before, so they were added to both our lists :D We are hoping to bag some "Western" Munroes 2019, , hope we can have 2018 weather 8) 8)
Ponyexpress
Hill Bagger

Munros:243   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:42
Wainwrights:58   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland