walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Five from Wrynose including a "Catch Up" and some New Un's.

Five from Wrynose including a "Catch Up" and some New Un's.

Postby martin.h » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:29 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Cold Pike, Great Carrs, Grey Friar, Pike o'Blisco, Swirl How

Hewitts included on this walk: Cold Pike, Grey Friar, Pike of Blisco, Swirl How

Date walked: 24/11/2018

Time taken: 6.15

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1120m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another weekend spent reducing the number of "catch ups" and the mutual new ones, we're slowly but surely getting there.

Looking at the map there's a bunch of hills we both needed to do within easy reach of each other from the top of Wrynose Pass, all are accessible within the hours of daylight we get at this time of year and hopefully the Wrynose and Hardknott passes would be quieter than in the summer months therefore assuring us a parking spot.

A Travelodge weekend this time, the Kendal one on the A591.

We set off from our lodgings in reasonable time on Saturday morning to make sure we could get a spot at the top of Wrynose, we succeeded, a prime spot just on the summit where the path to Red Tarn starts, there were no other cars around so the early-ish start paid off.

There was a very chilly breeze as we readied for the off but the weather was looking promising, the sky was clearing, there were a few patches of blue and the clouds were well off the mountains.

Pike o' Blisco was our first intended, a catch up for Denise, the path from the top of Wrynose Pass is excellent and gave us the opportunity to cover the distance at a reasonable pace. We reached Red Tarn in good time and turned right just beyond on another well trodden path up Pike o' Blisco, it's steep in parts but height is gained quickly and the summit is reached without too much effort.

The views were good, even though there was a bit of cloud cover, after the obligatory photo stop we set off back to Red Tarn and the climb up Cold Pike.

Cold Pike from P o' B

Views

Langdale Pikes

Wetherlam, Swirl How, Great Carrs, Dow Crag hiding behind

Bow Fell and the Band

Crinkles

The main path to the Crinkles was the start of our ascent of Cold Pike, after a few hundred meters we went off piste and took a beeline for the summit, after a bit of stumbling around we joined a path that's well used, probably one we'd have found easier if we'd have stayed on the Crinkles path a bit longer, ah well, there's now't like a bit of adventure.

The summit was reached, a mutual new one, but there's cairns on two tops up here so we went to the other cairn to make sure.

Summit proper

Langdale

Crinks and Bowfell

P o' B

Wetherlam

Swirl How, Great Carrs

A chilly breeze kept us from staying longer on the top, a pity because it's a good viewpoint, so photo's were taken, a quick snack, then we set off back down to the car.

View from below Cold Pike on the way down

We decided not to stop at the car, the temptation to stay too long was ignored, we crossed the road and made our way up Wet Side Edge, not a name to inspire confidence in conditions underfoot, as it turned out it's a good path, pitched in places and largely dry.

Grey Friar was next, another new one for us both.

Looking back, to the Scafells, Crinkles and Bowfell

Harter Fell

Wrynose Bottom

It took longer than I was hoping to get to the summit, I'm not sure why, probably taking too many photos but we arrived at the summit, another one with two high points and two cairns so, again, we went to both of them.

Summit Views

T'other cairn, Scafells behind

Swirl How

Views

This is another great view point, well worth getting to. We decided to stop and have lunch up here, that chilly breeze was still bugging us so we spent a bit of time looking for a bit of shelter and eventually found it in the rocks near the mini Matterhorn boulder.

Lunch was welcome and consumed then we set off for Swirl How, a repeat for us both, we had thought of including Wetherlam to-day but we decided not to bother once we'd arrived on Swirl How, the distance was probably just doable in the time we had left but we wanted to take advantage of the weather and take our time without rushing about, it was 2pm so we turned our backs on Wetherlam and headed for Great Carrs.

Memorial

Views from memorial

Great Carrs was another repeat, we'd come from The Old Man the last time we were up here so the trip back to the car was on unfamiliar ground, as it turned out we both decided that our decision not to include Wetherlam was a good one.

Wetherlam

We had to go down there after Wetherlam and then back up to the car

Grey Friar

Grey Friar and Harter Fell

Cold Pike and P o' B

Towards Langdale

Panorama from Great Carrs

Eastern weather, looks a bit ominous

We arrived back at the car at 3:45, the light was lowering, I reckon we'd have struggled to get back without the use of our head torches.

We had a really good day out, Wetherlam is on the agenda soon, one of the few "catch ups" left for Denise to do that can be done on a day trip from home, as a friend of ours would say "They're not going knock those mountains down, you know, why rush 'em?" Good point, but we've got to the stage where the objective has become a bit of an obsession, the sense of achievement is growing, mountain by mountain :wink:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Five from Wrynose including a "Catch Up" and some New Un

Postby yellowbelly » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:31 pm

Nice report and photies. The weather was much better than MWIS suggested on Saturday. I had a quick wander up High Tove and Armboth. Which fell are you saving till last?
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

Postby martin.h » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:44 pm

yellowbelly wrote:Nice report and photies. The weather was much better than MWIS suggested on Saturday. I had a quick wander up High Tove and Armboth. Which fell are you saving till last?

Hi yellowbelly,
We tend to look at both MWIS and the Met Office and average the forecasts out, not very scientific but it works, somehow :lol: they both got the chilly wind right however :roll: High Tove and Armboth are nice viewpoints for the bigger fells around, a bit on the soggy side from memory.

Catstye Cam will be our last one, starting on Birkhouse Moor and doing the horseshoe of ridges, we live close enough to pick and choose the weather, we're aiming for late spring/early summer next year :D
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:00 am

Some fine fells to take in there with some beautiful light on the hillsides late on. I found wet side edge a super route off the fells a few years back, sometimes names can give a very wrong Impression. You certainly seem to be homing in on your target at quite a pace, good choice of Catstyecam, it's a superb top
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:45 pm

Well done the pair of you with another set of fine hills done :clap: You did right with leaving out Wetherlam as the Fallwalker and I chose that way a couple of years ago with a less than good descent down from Birk Fell Man and then a hard slog up to the Three Shire Stone parking area via Rough Crags and High End from Greenburn Beck on a brutally hot day :crazy: :roll: Catstye Cam a good choice of hill to finish on :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby martin.h » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:16 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Some fine fells to take in there with some beautiful light on the hillsides late on. I found wet side edge a super route off the fells a few years back, sometimes names can give a very wrong Impression. You certainly seem to be homing in on your target at quite a pace, good choice of Catstyecam, it's a superb top

Thankyou Anthony,
Throughout the day the light was changing the look of the hillsides, it was really quite interesting, I kept saying to Denise "hang on a mo, I'll have to get a shot of that" the colours were forever changing. :D
Yes, it's strange how focussed you become when the goal is in sight, just 18 to do to get us both on an even keel then the last one :D
Cheers

trailmasher wrote:Well done the pair of you with another set of fine hills done :clap: You did right with leaving out Wetherlam as the Fallwalker and I chose that way a couple of years ago with a less than good descent down from Birk Fell Man and then a hard slog up to the Three Shire Stone parking area via Rough Crags and High End from Greenburn Beck on a brutally hot day :crazy: :roll: Catstye Cam a good choice of hill to finish on :clap:

Thanks trailmasher,
I allowed about 6.5 hrs for this route, by the time we'd arrived on Swirl How we'd been going for 4.75 hrs so a trip over Wetherlam was cutting it a bit fine, we might repeat this and include Wetherlam, next summer, just to see how long it does take.
I like the look of Catstye Cam, we've been on Helvellyn loads of times and I don't know why we've missed Catstye Cam, maybe we've always been destined to do it this way, Helvellyn was my first Wainwright, it now seems fitting-----------, weird :shock: :lol:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland