walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Superlative Skye - A Sgurr na Stri Spectacular :)

Superlative Skye - A Sgurr na Stri Spectacular :)

Postby dooterbang » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Route description: Sgùrr na Strì

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Sgùrr na Strì

Date walked: 24/11/2018

Time taken: 96 hours

Distance: 100 km

Ascent: 2000m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As per usual my destination for adventure is left to the very last minute, I like to chase the sun you see :) Skye looked to have a four day window of good weather 8) So I booked this very affordable (£122 for 5 days) ensuite room near Broadford - https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/18654214?location=Waterloo%2C%20Isle%20of%20Skye%2C%20UK&adults=1&children=0&s=GfDsODL5

The room was basic but it met my needs, the house was run like a hostel. Good kitchen for cooking and a very strong wi fi signal, it was also very quiet with great views :) The host Cheryl was lovely, a keen outdoors girl. My plan was to cycle, run, and finally summit Sgurr na Stri and witness that killer view of Loch Coruisk. I would also revisit a few places of interest.

Out of the blue an old flame (Agata) had contacted me before I left asking if I was walking the Sunday. I informed her I was heading to Skye and would be doing Sgurr na Stri that day, also she was welcome to join me. Fortunately she had Monday off so booked a room and would join me Sunday & Monday :shock: :crazy:

Day 1 - Saturday 24th Nov
After an easy drive up on Thursday I was ready to start my little adventure Friday morning. So just after 8am I donned my lycra and set off for a 40 miles cycle of Sothern Skye, taking in Ord, Toskavaig, & Tarskavaig.

Start from the digs

It was a cold but lovely morning. The sun was rising as I left the main road and headed across the single track road to Ord.

Black Cuillin looking orange :)

It was shortly after the view above I felt the bike skidding...I hit black ice on a downhill and crashed! My knee had a large gash, my hand bruised, and my confidence dented! For some of the downhills I would get off my bike and walk, however the views made up for any pain :)

Those views...

Thankfull I managed to complete the cycle, it was around noon. A bite to eat, a change into my running gear, and I was heading to Elgol for a 5k trail run. I would also take in the sunset from Elgol - A truly magical viewpoint :D

Views on the drive to Elgol

Bla Bheinn

I parked at Elgol and took in the views towards the Black Cuillin.

My trail run would start at Glasnakille and head towards Drinan, and then returning. A great run with magnificent coastal views.

Highland cows at Drinan

After my run it was back to Elgol to take in the sunset 8)

Views on short drive to Elgol from Glasnakille.

Sunset @ Elgol

A great first day, and the forecasted weather promised more delights :) Agata would arrive after 10pm. A quick hello and we hit the hay. In the morning we would be walking Sgurr na Stri :D

Day 2 - Sunday 25th Nov
Agata, her dog Dashy, and I left at 7.30am to walk Sgurr na Stri. We would tackle it from Camasunary Bay. Parked up just after 8am we headed West to a rsie of about 150m before descending similar down to the bay.

The start

Camasunary Bothy

Camasunary Bay

It took about an hour to reach the bothy. We then had to cross the river, however it presented no issues at all. Our route we see us ascend the SE corrie before turning North up alomg the ridge to the summit.

Nearing the ridge I spotted some bird hovering high in the sky, turns out it was a male golden eagle :D 8)

Agata & Dashy on the ridge

Pretty quickly we stood on the summit, Lock Coruisk lay before us shrouded by the Black Cuillin. The view is indedd sensational and had to be experienced as photos just don't do it justice.

That view :D 8)

Views to the Isles

We sat up here for about an hour...I actually didn't want to leave, however time was pushing on and darkness would be upon us. We set off, planning to catch the sunset fron Elgol as just 15 minute drive away.

Agata having a little slip on return route :crazy:

Some highland traffic :lol:

At Elgol the sunset wasn't as spectacular as I'd experienced the evening before, however still a great wat to finish the day :)

Back at the digs we had dinner and an early night, I fell asleep at 21.30pm :shock: :lol: Next day we would vist Fairy Glen, another first for me, and visit the Quiraing and Storr which I'd previously visited. It was all virginal for Agata as this was her first time on Skye :D

Day 3 - Monday 26th Nov 2018
Another early rise and heaeded off @ 07.30am. From Broadford its an hours drive to Uig, where the Fairy Glen is situated. A lovely little Glen which we had all to ourselves 8) We spent about an hour exploring before cutting across the Island to the Quiraing.

Fairy Glen

It took about 30 minutes to drive to the Quiraing Car Park. There were a few cars but again it wasn't really that busy, bliss :) The Quiraing is part of the Trotternish ridge and in Northern Skye. It has been formed by a massive landslip which has created high cliffs, hidden plateaus and pinnacles of rock. A magical enchanting place :D

The views

The pinnacles are steep to reach but once there a maze of paths intertwine them, some leading to a grass table. We would eat lunch here :)

Lunch view

Again, I could've stayed here all day but Agata had to leave at 16.00hrs as was on call that night. So pushed for time we headed back to the car and drive down the coast for the Storr Car Park, firstlt stopping at Kilt Waterfall for a quick peep.

Kilt Waterfall

Views to West Coast and Torridon

And soon we were walking up the path that leads to The Old Man of Storr. The ‘Old Man’ is a large pinnacle of rock that stands high and can be seen for miles around. As part of the Trotternish ridge the Storr was created by a massive ancient landside, leaving one of the most photographed landscapes in the world

Views looking West

The 'old man' was soon in our grasp, one last push to reach its base...and another great spot for a bit to eat :)

With one eye on the clock we headed back down and drove to our base at Broadford. Agata was super happy at her first vist to Skye, but unhappy about having to leave :( It was good catching up, but the girl is cuckoo and can talk for Scotland...well mostly about herself , you know what I mean :shock: :lol: :lol: . I'm sure her and Dashy will return one day :D

Tomorrow my plan was to revisit the Coral Beach & Neist Point Lighthouse, and a first to the Fairy pools.

Day 4 - Tuesday 27th Nov
As per clockwork I left at 07.30hrs for the 1hr 15 minute drive up the NW coast to Coral Beach near Dunvegan. Arrived at the car park and set off for the 1 mile or so walk to the beach. Again I would have this destination all to myself, spending over an hour here as the sun rose behind me in the East. A great way to start the day :D

The Coral Beach

On my walk out I said hello to one woman and her dog, I hope they enjoyed the peace and tranquility as I did :)

The winding route back down South then cutting West to Neist Point Lighthouse took about 40 minutes. The Lighthouse is situated on the most Westerly Point of Skye. More solitude ensued, with a 30 minute seat looking into the sea across to the Isles.

The views

As I made my way out it started to get a little busy, my timing was great :D I was positive my next destination would be busier due to being one of Skye's tourist hotspots, the Fairy Pools by Glen Brittle.

As I arrived the car park was not too busy, there was about 20 people walking back and forth from the path to the pools. As I reached them no one was around 8)

The views

The Fairy pools are beautiful and one can imaginea very early morning summer dip :) I ran the 2k back to the car park as I'd decided to cut my holiday short by a day due to the weather being brutal everywhere the next day. A good decision :) This would give me a day to chill before a different form of escapism of a film premiere, a music gig, and my running cluns night out....I'll require another holiday after that lot :shock: Or another day on the hills :wink: :D

Driving about Skye, with its single track roads, is fantastic and offers great views. The Island offers a diverse range of activities to suit every level of experience and fitness, I'd highly recommend it :)

Finally, some views whilst driving around...

Looking forward to a good winter now, hopefully :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Superlative Skye - A Sgurr na Stri Spectacular :)

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:13 pm

Stunning photos - particularly from Sgurr na Stri :clap: :clap: :clap: . A timelapse camera there to watch the light change would be brilliant . Must try to get up there - still just about able to do a hill that size :)
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Excellent trip - fine weather for this time of year on Skye...jealous :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby malky_c » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 pm

Thought you might join the Sgurr na Stri summit camp club, but you appear to have gone soft :wink: :lol: . That's a brilliant set of photos, and some great places visited 8) .

That road around Tarskavaig is a brilliant run on the bike, but very alarming to find ice on it :shock: . Again, brilliant photos from there - much better views than I got. Must do it again.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mrssanta » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:54 pm

ooooh just lovely! I was amused by the pigs striking identical poses - had to look twice!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:53 pm

Great photos :) :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby dooterbang » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:27 pm

malky_c wrote:Thought you might join the Sgurr na Stri summit camp club, but you appear to have gone soft :wink: :lol: .
I will one day :D Too much darkness in winter to spend in a tent :shock:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland