walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Never leave a brother behind!

Never leave a brother behind!

Postby Jaxter » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:36 pm

Route description: Five Sisters of Kintail

Munros included on this walk: A' Ghlas-bheinn, Beinn Fhada, Sàileag, Sgùrr a' Bhealaich Dheirg, Sgùrr Fhuaran, Sgùrr na Càrnach, Sgùrr na Ciste Duibhe

Date walked: 17/07/2018

Time taken: 18.35 hours

Distance: 46.35 km

Ascent: 3693m

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Raasay adventures

Tuesday 17th July 2018
22.7km
1806m ascent
7 hours 21 mins

I packed everything into my large pack and had a late start to let the weather clear. Parking up at Morvich I set off down the road and picked up the path heading for Gleann Choinneachain. I could see A’ Ghlas-Bheinn ahead

Coming around the corner I could see the ridge leading up to Beinn Fhada

And the Beinn Fhada ridges – on another occasion I’m going to go and explore them, they look amazing 8)

I followed the zigzags up to where the path split before dumping my bag for the out-and-back to A’ Ghlas-Bheinn. Normally I don’t like an out and back, but I figured seeing as I was here anyway…. I felt like I was floating as I followed the path up to bealach an Sgairne which gave me a view down to Loch a’ Bhealaich

Wow that ridge….although I wasn’t hugely thrilled about how dark the sky was looking, especially as I’d left my waterproofs in my pack :roll:

I made easy progress upwards from the bealach – there was a clear path the whole way and although there were steep sections it was easy going. Unfortunately the weather started to come in…

It was spitting with rain but fortunately it didn’t come to much. Reaching the summit it was pretty windy and wild but at least I had something of a view!

I met the person ahead of me who turned out to be running the Ratagan Youth Hostel! She headed off in the opposite direction while I decided to wait a few minutes to see if it improved

The weather did clear a bit and I was able to see down to Morvich and out towards Beinn Sgritheall

Beinn Fhada

I headed back down and was able to see the corries of Beinn Fhada and my route ahead

Loch a’ Bhealaich and Beinn Fhada

Looking over Sgurr an Airgid to Skye

Beinn Fhada ridge

Beinn Fhada again

Loch a’ Chleirich

Looking back up to A’ Ghlas-Bheinn

The sun came out and was hitting the Fhada ridge and made it look even more awesome 8)

Loch a’ Bhealaich, Sgurr Gaorsaic and Sgurr nan Ceathramhann

Back at the bealach it was an easy wander back to my pack. Putting it back on significantly slowed progress as I started towards Beinn Fhada

The path climbed up gradually into Coire an Sgairne – looking backwards

Climbing out the top of the coire I could see the ridge from a different angle

I could see across to the Sister’s ridge – this was what I had in store for tomorrow 8)

It was turning into a wonderful evening

At last – summit ahoy!

A’ Ghlas-Bheinn

This is my route down 8)

I had been feeling the weight of the heavy pack and was very relieved to take it off :lol:

Kintail is awesome 8)

The Sister’s ridge with the Forcan behind

After a wee breather I set off again – following the ridge towards Sgurr a’ Dubh Doire before dropping off the side far too early :roll: At least the views were good towards Ciste Dubh

The Sister’s ridge

It was an awkward and very steep descent from the ridge but I was very glad of the dry conditions – after rain this would have been a bog trot and slippery enough to send me flying :lol:

Down in the glen I reached the path which would at least be an easy walk along to Camban bothy, my home for the night.

I had a lovely evening, initially on my own before being joined by two cyclists who were cycling the HT550 for the RAF100. Their story is here. They were good chat and also offered me caramel waffles which I could hardly turn down especially as I was doing them a favour – less weight to carry the next day :lol:

Wednesday 18th July 2018
23.65km
1887m ascent
11 hours 15 mins

Camban bothy was a fabulous bothy in a lovely location. I had a great night’s sleep and good breakfast before heading out. I followed the track a little way back before cutting off to head up the Sreath a’ Ghlas-choire ridge onto Sgurr a’ Bhealaich Dheirg.

Looking back to Camban

It was steep going as I climbed higher – again mercifully dry

Looking back down Gleann Lichd – there was a wee bit of clag on the hills as forecast

Glen Affric

Glen Affric and the South Mullardoch hills

Am Bathach and Aonach Meadhoin, the first brother

I was finally on the ridge for real – this made for some easier walking 8)

Ciste Dubh and Am Bathach with A’ Chrailleag starting to pop out behind

Looking ahead – the ridge for real :shock: It looked awesome! I had decided that this sounded better than Ciste Dubh and the extra brother. I was beginning to think that I had made the correct decision 8)

I could drop off the ridge and traverse around to the bealach so I was good as long as I didn’t go up anything I couldn’t come back down :lol:

Aonach Meadhoin – brother number one. Never leave a brother behind? Mebbe it would be ok on this occasion :lol:

The ridge was awesome – damp grass and the big pack made for a few awkward moments but I had such a good time on it 8) Nearly at the top I looked back to what I’d just come up

The final stretch to the summit of Sgurr a’ Bhealaich Dheirg

Aonach Meadhoin – a brother for another day 8)

I did it 8)

Looking back to the summit of Sgurr a’ Bhealaich Dheirg

Looking down towards Morvich – Beinn Fhada on the right, my route ahead on the left

The South Glen Shiel Ridge and the continuation of my ridge

It was a wee bit chilly so after a quick breather I was on my way – looking back to the ridge I’d just come up

Glen Affric

Onwards – Sgurr a’ Bhealaich Dearg had a second top

Another view of the ascent ridge, as well as Mullach Fraoch-choire behind

Ahead to Saileag

On top of Saileag I could see ahead to the Sisters – they looked pretty formidable :shock:

Ciste Dubh, Mullach Fraoch-Choire and A’ Chralaig

Jaxter on Saileag

The Forcan and Sisters ahead

South Glen Shiel Ridge and Sisters

I was approaching my only real bail-out option for today – dropping down from bealach an Lapain in between the two ridges. Once I started on the Sisters I had to finish :shock: I don’t back down, and the bail-out was never really an option :lol:

As I started up the sisters ridge I looked backwards – it all looked very impressive and the cloud seemed to have cleared to turn it into a lovely day

The ridge narrowed and seemed to be harder work already – makes sense that the Sisters would be harder work than the Brothers :lol: :roll:

Looking back to the South Shiel ridge

Looking ahead

Ahead to Sgurr naa Spainteach and Sgurr na Ciste Dubh

Suddenly I heard a roar…and a couple of planes fly over from Glen Affric :shock:

Over Sgurr nan Spainteach there was a descent including a very awkward scramble for a short person with a big bag :roll: which I ended up having to throw poles down and downclimb backwards which I hate doing :lol:

And then it was time for the final climb up to Sgurr na Ciste Dubh where I was rewarded with views of Skye :shock: 8)

Looking back along the ridge – I’d come a long way!

South ridge

Time for a sit-down and a sandwich – I’d promised to reward myself with lunch on this summit 8) I was joined by a man going in the other direction and it was nice to have someone to chat to as we both ate and enjoyed the views 8)

Ahead to Sgurr na Carnach

Skye was now completely clear and the sun was hitting the Cuillin ridge 8)

And in the other direction – Ben Nevis 8)

Sgurr na Sgine, the Forcan Ridge and Beinn Sgritheall behind

Doing my thing on Sgurr na Ciste Dubh

Forcan Ridge and Skye

I had a long way to go still so I carried on along the ridge, dropping down easily to the bealach. I met a group of people coming the other way who seemed very concerned that I was on my own :lol: It was an easy climb and before long I was at the summit of Sgurr na Carnach which gave me wonderful views down Loch Duich

From Nevis to Knoydart

Forcan

Looking down the glen

Beinn Sgritheall and Skye

Sgurr na Carnach summit

As I stood enjoying the views I was joined by a couple running – they were going fast and light, the opposite to me :lol: They headed off quickly while I used the views as an excuse for a break :lol:

Looking back to previous Sisters

My route so far

Dropping off Sgurr na Carnach there was some amazing sunlight hitting the sisters

It was a slow and steep climb to the top of Sgurr Fhuaran – but at least this was the final ascent, right :roll: Finally at the top it was definitely time to enjoy the views. The clarity had been improving all day and it was really awesome now 8)

Looking out to Loch Alsh

Three islands – Eigg, Rum and Skye 8)

Looking down Gleann Lichd

Previous Sisters

The whole ridge

This ridge down to Gleann Lichd looks great – a good approach for another time 8)

The views just kept improving 8)

Applecross corbetts

Looking back

Sgurr Fhuaran summit

Sgurr nan Saighead and the continuation of the ridge

I dropped down from Sgurr Fhuaran and realised that my ascent wasn’t over for the day :roll: I would also have to go over Sgurr nan Saighead as well :lol:

Looking back I had a good laugh at the phallic nature of this rock :lol:

Looking back to Sgurr Fhuaran

Skyyyyyyye 8)

The path actually bypassed the summit of Sgurr na Saighead, but having got this close I decided I wanted to get to the top, so dumped my pack for a wee diversion. Might as well mount another sister :lol:

From there I headed downwards – there was a good path which did get fainter as it became more grassy

It got very steep and the long walk and heavy pack were starting to take their toll on my knees :roll: It was getting hotter and hotter too 8) Fortunately the burn was low enough to get across but had enough for a drink – there was no water on the ridge!

Now on the path it was easier walking down the glen until the final knee-crunching descent to Morvich. I thought it would never end :roll:

Back at ground level I still had a couple of kilometres along the road back to Morvich

A’ Ghlas-Bheinn – where it all began

Back at the car I drove down the road and slept like a log :lol:

Kintail 2 dayer.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Gorms - Malcy's Special Spots
Last edited by Jaxter on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Never leave a brother behind!

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:26 am

Have you ever thought of taking up fell- running you wonderful crazy lady? You did five of my munro walks there.
The Bealach an Sgairne is also known as The Gates of Affric" with great views of Ceathreamhnan - my favourite Munro: but you missed a trick - it's not far down from there to the top of the Falls of Glomach and ..
" long long time ago I can still remember (how that music" - no! no! no! no!) how Beinn Fhada had a serious sting in the tail with it's scrambly ridge and a fiercely steep descent :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby malky_c » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Yes - at last :lol: . Must go up that ridge sometime - it has only been a consideration for about 10 years now! Lovely weather towards the end. Shame I was at work :roll: .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Great report and great pictures, although I'm not sure if you noticed, but you were followed by a poor lass who can only stand on one leg!!! :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Jaxter » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:48 am

past my sell by date wrote:Have you ever thought of taking up fell- running you wonderful crazy lady? You did five of my munro walks there.
The Bealach an Sgairne is also known as The Gates of Affric" with great views of Ceathreamhnan - my favourite Munro: but you missed a trick - it's not far down from there to the top of the Falls of Glomach and ..
" long long time ago I can still remember (how that music" - no! no! no! no!) how Beinn Fhada had a serious sting in the tail with it's scrambly ridge and a fiercely steep descent :lol: :lol:

It did feel like a long walk with that giant rucksack :lol: :shock: I do love that name though, the gates of affric. I’d never heard it before but it sounds like something out of lord of the rings!

malky_c wrote:Yes - at last :lol: . Must go up that ridge sometime - it has only been a consideration for about 10 years now! Lovely weather towards the end. Shame I was at work :roll: .

Shhhh don’t mention the W word :shock: :shock:

Sack the Juggler wrote:Great report and great pictures, although I'm not sure if you noticed, but you were followed by a poor lass who can only stand on one leg!!! :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

She seems to follow me everywhere. What a creep :shock: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:05 pm

Wonderful stuff, and some fantastic pics - that one of Skye is a competition winner... :clap: :clap: :clap:

I've had my eye on this area for some time, and have a few potential routes in plan; but various things have intervened to prevent my getting round to it. Drooling over the pics in this report has definitely rewhetted my appetite though. This year has to be the year....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:46 pm

[quote="Jaxter"]
It did feel like a long walk with that giant rucksack :lol: :shock: I do love that name though, the gates of affric. I’d never heard it before but it sounds like something out of lord of the rings! [quote]
But that's what I mean. If you'd swapped your giant rucksack for a pair of running shoes, you could probably have done the brothers and sisters in a day - and maybe some of the aunts and uncles as well :lol: :lol: :lol: . Have you read Hugh Symond's "running high"? you should!
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby Jaxter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:25 am

past my sell by date wrote:
Jaxter wrote:It did feel like a long walk with that giant rucksack :lol: :shock: I do love that name though, the gates of affric. I’d never heard it before but it sounds like something out of lord of the rings!
But that's what I mean. If you'd swapped your giant rucksack for a pair of running shoes, you could probably have done the brothers and sisters in a day - and maybe some of the aunts and uncles as well :lol: :lol: :lol: . Have you read Hugh Symond's "running high"? you should!

I haven't, but I have now ordered it on your recommendation 8)

Alteknacker wrote:Wonderful stuff, and some fantastic pics - that one of Skye is a competition winner... :clap: :clap: :clap:

I've had my eye on this area for some time, and have a few potential routes in plan; but various things have intervened to prevent my getting round to it. Drooling over the pics in this report has definitely rewhetted my appetite though. This year has to be the year....

Thanks - it's a great area. I always overlooked it as "the place you drive through to get to Skye" but am enjoying it in its own right now. I was a bit underwhelmed with some of the photos earlier on but it definitely brightened up towards the end 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:41 pm

I haven't, but I have now ordered it on your recommendation
Gosh I hope you didn't pay much - I could have lent it to you. Have you ordered the running shoes as well :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby Jaxter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:53 pm

past my sell by date wrote:I haven't, but I have now ordered it on your recommendation
Gosh I hope you didn't pay much - I could have lent it to you. Have you ordered the running shoes as well :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't mind, I love books! 8) 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:28 pm

Not totally relevant, but I had the temerity to send you a (very polite) private message. As you haven't replied I guess you block all messages in case they're unpleasant. Maybe you could make an exception and take a look :)
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby john.malley » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:37 pm

You do some impressive distances over rough ground with an absolutely giant sack! What on earth have you got in it? (Possibly boulders for extra training😊). One day you discover the delights of tarp tents, bubble wrap and esbit stoves and then well see you cover distance!!
john.malley
Stravaiging

Munros:182   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:188
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Jaxter » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:20 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Not totally relevant, but I had the temerity to send you a (very polite) private message. As you haven't replied I guess you block all messages in case they're unpleasant. Maybe you could make an exception and take a look :)

My apologies :wink:

john.malley wrote:You do some impressive distances over rough ground with an absolutely giant sack! What on earth have you got in it? (Possibly boulders for extra training😊). One day you discover the delights of tarp tents, bubble wrap and esbit stoves and then well see you cover distance!!

I carry bricks for extra training. It's just too easy to only carry what I need :wink: haha I do actually travel pretty light but I think my bag looks extra big because I'm short :lol: Malcy described me as a big bag with legs :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:32 pm

john.malley wrote:You do some impressive distances over rough ground with an absolutely giant sack! What on earth have you got in it? (Possibly boulders for extra training😊). One day you discover the delights of tarp tents, bubble wrap and esbit stoves and then well see you cover distance!!

My partner and I did the TGO cross scotland walk a dozen years or so ago and saw people with giant packs :lol: :lol: We managed with about 10kg each though we did pick up fresh food and clothes en route
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland