walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr an Utha - "orf to shoot a few hinds"

Sgurr an Utha - "orf to shoot a few hinds"

Postby kevsbald » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:31 am

Route description: Sgùrr an Utha

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr an Utha

Date walked: 05/12/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For me, this is in the top 10 of Corbetts - albeit, I have only approached the halfway mark. It had been several weeks since my last walk out - as hectic a November as I can remember. I had booked a night up in the Glenuig inn and was really impressed with this part of the world. Just the view down Loch Eilt was sublime and I stopped to get a photo - exquisite.
IMG_7919.JPG
Loch Eilt

After a great breakfast the next day, I was parked at the lay-by by 0900 and it was very cold but clear. I began the walk up the excellent Land Rover track and very quickly, height was gained. There were lovely views back over to the Corbetts above Loch Eilt.
IMG_7939.JPG
Back down the track
Glas-Charn was visible now but that would be for another day. I was surprised how far up the mountain the track went on my intended hill. At 470m, I left the track and began the climb up towards my objective. A herd of deer raced across the mountain, with the snow-line now being encroached upon. Just me, the mountain and being in the wild. It is great to get back to being 'organic'. This is where we belong.
IMG_7945.JPG
Frozen lochain and beyond

Visibility was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the yomp across to the ridge between Sgurr an Utha and Fraoch-Bheinn. Eventually, I levelled out on the ridge and the views across to the Glenfinnan Munros and Streap were outstanding.
IMG_7946.JPG
Streap and Munros
It had been a good few years since I'd been that way with Graeme and now sadly departed Lucy :( . The wind was pretty chilly at this point and so I made my way to the summit. The coire dropped away sharply and Loch Beoraid stretched to the West.
IMG_7949.JPG
Summit experience
As wild a glen as there probably is. However, I couldn't believe that I could now also see Rhum, Eigg and Skye. I didn't pause too long at the summit, as it was very cold and I knew I had some tricky negotiations ahead of me down the South-West ridge in the snow. It was fabulous just taking my time down the mountain and it didn't feel long before I made it over the burn, and back on to the Land Rover track. As I made my way down, the land owner presumably, drove up in his 4x4 and said he was "orf to shoot some hinds". What a life. Mine will do nicely thanks. I can't wait to get back to this part of the world, lots of hill experiences to be had.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Sgurr an Utha - "orf to shoot a few hinds"

Postby kinraddie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:31 pm

Stunning photos. I'm looking forward to climbing this one!
kinraddie
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:44 pm

Aye, I got the feeling you had enjoyed this one! Just you mentioning Streap was enough to bring back memories of that ascent that morning and bring me out in a cold sweat! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby malky_c » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Lovely looking day - you can't really go wrong in this area :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:313   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland