walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

a fantastic day out!

a fantastic day out!

Postby iainwatson » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:50 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 29/07/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1145m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

a great day had on Ben Vorlich & Stuc a Chroin

belter of a walk yesterday for many reasons

Chose these two as i really fancied the scramble up Stuc
IMG_0318.JPG
looking back to loch earn

set off around 10.30 with a sweltering start which slowly changed and ended up heavy rain an hour and a half later on the summit of Vorlich,talked to a few others who i had passed on the way up and found that due to the rain and bad visibility that this was as far as they were going,not me,i enjoy walking in the rain and was liking the prospect of getting Stuc to myself
ben vorlich trig point.JPG
Ben Vorlich trig point

upon reaching Stuc i soon realised that the scramble would have to wait for another day i could only see about 10ft up and without being able to plan my route
stuc a chroin.JPG
Stuc a'Chroin

plus the fact i was on my own i decided to continue round to the left and luckily i came across 2 guys who duly showed me their ascent and descent route.after maybe 40 odd minutes i arrived at the top and set off looking for the summit cairn,
IMG_0339.JPG
Stuc a'Chroin summit

some grub and coffee were consumed and i set off to find the memorial at the top of the scramble,upon arriving at the memorial i caught sight of two goats who darted off the side of the hill and i followed them to try and grab a pic without realising how far down i had went.
antelope.JPG
antelope

memorial cairn.JPG
memorial cairn

i climbed back up(a different way) only to find the cloud was worse and i couldnt see a thing! after much searching for anything i could recognise i decided to check compass and map and got a decent feel for where i should be headed but just couldnt find my ascent route at all due to the cloud only letting me see the first 10 ft of any thing remotely looking like a path
IMG_0347.JPG
not down there for sure!

eventually(45 mins later) i did find it and ascended back onto the path toward vorlich,i thought about walking round but decided to push myself a wee bit more and went back up over Vorlich and back to my van
van->vorlich->stuc->vorlich->van was 6 hrs walking in totall with around 1.5 hrs on Stuc

absolutely loved it(even with getting lost for a bit) liked being out on my own,liked the fact it was quiet,hill to myself,the goats(first time i've seen any wild animal up close on a hill) the responsibility of getting off Stuc safely and the fact i added another wee bit on by going over vorlich again

also i dedicated these two to a family member who passed recently,i'll certainly not forget this walk

RIP Nana....gone but never forgotten
Last edited by iainwatson on Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Re: a fantastic day out!

Postby iainwatson » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:51 pm

had major trouble trying to save or post with the photos.....gutted! so i'll apologise for no pics,couldnt even preview the message before posting,can anyone help by telling me what i did wrong?
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:58 pm

Well done on continuing in the rain Ian. Its not been a good July weather wise. As for the photos, its normally a simple case of click add photo>browse for the photo>click add th file.

You can edit the post so have another go :D
monty

Postby iainwatson » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:11 pm

cheers monty,got it this time,lol

as i said i like walking in the bad weather apart from missing the views though

its my first walk report so be gentle,lol :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:18 pm

You seemed to sort those photos pretty fast :) - good report.

i caught sight of two wild antelope
:eh: I think they were goats :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby iainwatson » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:33 pm

i did too......but upon letting some other people check the photo it seemed to be the majority said antelope which i thought was a bit odd but went with it...........might edit again,lol
here is a closer look
antelope closer1.jpg
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland