walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Saileag and others, New years day 2018

Saileag and others, New years day 2018

Postby clem_f » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Route description: Brothers Ridge - Sgùrr a Bhealaich Dheirg

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Meadhoin, Sàileag, Sgùrr a' Bhealaich Dheirg

Date walked: 01/01/2019

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 1432m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lovely New Year's Day up here - forecast was for sunny skies, so decided to head up to Glen Sheil to do the Brother's Ridge. Not that much to say, followed the WH route pretty much exactly - was a decent path almost the whole way. Left my bike at Cluanie, and then drove down to the Glen Sheil car park. This seems definitely the best way to do it if you are going to bike the return to the car, as it is mostly downhill. Well after the first two miles of flat/ slight uphill, which tell on tired legs! Distances I got from my GPS were 7.75 miles of walking, which took almost 5 hours exactly, and another 5 miles on the road, which took about 25 minutes. I was pushing it a bit harder than normal, as I wanted to make it back to the bike before dark.

The track is wet at the start and end, although not boggy, all along the ridge was fine, no scrambling, just a couple of rocky outcrops you could walk around on the southern side. This was welcome as the wind was coming from the North, so it protected you a bit. Quite slippery down near Cluanie, went over a couple of times, just my pride hurt though! I was looking at map online and it has a path marked down off Aonach Meadhoin. I am not sure if this exists, and did not try it, as my bike was at Cluanie. If it did exist as a viable early exit I guess it would cut an hour off all up? While still climbing the three munros.

Happy new year everyone!

saileag1.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

looking down Glen Sheil, 10am
P1016854.jpg

Sgùrr nan Spainteach from Saileag
P1016861.jpg

Leaving Saileag
P1016872.jpg

Ciste Dubh from Sgurr a Bhealaich Dheirg
P1016885.jpg

Some Nice Light
P1016928.jpg

Looking back to Sgurr a Bhealaich Dheirg
P1016929.jpg

Loch Cluanie
P1016937.jpg

Loch Garry sunset, on the way home.
P1016951.jpg
clem_f
Munro compleatist

Re: Saileag and others, New years day 2018

Postby tombombadilio » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:04 pm

Cracking photos :clap:

Btw, is this Clem of The Great Glen Hostel fame?

Adam.
tombombadilio
Walker

Munros:258   Corbetts:19
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Islands:17

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland