walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Heated Gloves

Heated Gloves

Postby Bombaybadboy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:11 pm

Hi guys,
Anyone out there used battery heated gloves? Are they any good or a complete waste of money? I suffer badly from cold fingers and have tried just about every idea that had been offered in a previous post.
Any doctors out there with a good idea for me ..Last two walks over the xmas period whilst trying to get my fingers back to life nearly resulted in a slip which could have had a disastrous result.

Doctor Doctor please :?
Bombaybadboy
Bombaybadboy
Munro compleatist

Re: Heated Gloves

Postby davekeiller » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:35 pm

Never felt the need myself, but a friend once tried them and they failed fairly quickly (lasted about 5 minutes if I remember correctly).
I would have thought that small gel handwarmers would be more effective.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Coop » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:33 pm

Dunno,
But you've just reminded me that I was going to treat myself to some buffalo mitts
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Robinho08 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:18 pm

Never tried them, can't imagine them being that effective on the hills. Have you tried those hand warmers that you shake to activate or mitts?
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:57 pm

I have Raynaud's syndrome and have tried many different options including battery powered gloves. You can get gloves which just heat the palm and better versions which also heat the fingers. I had a pair which heated my fingers but only ever tried them on the commute and not on the hills - heavy battery use, not overly practical, not waterproof and they didn't really help much either.
In summary, they didn't help my Raynaud's and I stopped using them - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:06 pm

I used to have a pair of trekmates primaloft waterproof gloves, and they were my fall back gloves when my hands got too cold. Actually they are probably still in the loft somewhere, so I need to get up there and have a dig about.

I think primaloft works brilliantly, so much so that for my christmas pressie this year I got my missus to buy me a pair of hestra leather primaloft gloves. They are not really for the hills, just for walking around in and they are toasty, but I need to try them out walking home along the prom on a wet and windy evening with temperatures around 0C before I decide whether they are my new winter gloves.

My wife swears by wristies and mittens. The wristies help the blood flow through the wrist to her hands and the mittens keep the fingers very warm.

Have you tried pairing a pair of warm gloves with waterproof tuff bag mitts? This way you can take the mitts off when you need to use your fingers but your hands will still be inside warm gloves?
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby apollo0815 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:42 pm

My wife has a pair of battery heated gloves, which work very well, and last about 6 hours with one battery pack.
For them to work properly, you need another pair of(oversize) normale gloves, to wear over the heated ones, then they are nice and cozy.
I think it should be possible to carry additional Battery packs since they are connected by plugs.

I think these are the ones:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glovii-Universal-Touchscreen-Thermoactive-Batteries/dp/B07HGZ3X11
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby larry groo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:07 pm

I too have Raynaud's and use silk liners with those small sachet type handwarmers (the single use versions) teamed with Montane mitts.

Very effective at getting and keeping the hands warm.
larry groo

Postby Darrenmc » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:10 am

Has anyone had any success in recent years with heated gloves?
I would love a reliable pair for secondary Raynaud's.

I see the previous posts are from a few years back.

Cheers,
Darren
Darrenmc
Mountain Walker

Munros:6   

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:17 pm

An active warming thing to consider is a Zippo Hand Warmer. Reusable and last hours. It claims 12 hours but people have had them running close to 24 hours.

Another suggestion might be mittens not gloves. I have the British Army artic mittens, very inexpensive. They come as a 2-pair pack. The inner pair is fleece lined and warm, the outer pair are Goretex and tough/hurricane proof. The inners I wear in the cold, the outers I wear if it's windy and rainy. The advantage is they let you rub your fingers together, the little finger/outside doesn't get chilled wheras for many gloves for me they do.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby sking40 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:34 pm

Gave up on gloves when cold and wet years ago. Mittems are the thing. Buffalo mitts are really great (as are the tops also, never use anything else in winter now). Sizing for the mitts is small though so order a size larger than you think.

Could use a disposable chemical heat pad inside if you want. A second larger pair over the top is also an idea but probably not necessary. Dachsteins are also excellent and thicker/harder wearing than buffalo eg if using an ice axe.
sking40
Munro compleatist

Munros:242   

Postby Darrenmc » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:42 am

Thank you sking40 and Marty for those helpful replies. Much appreciated.
I'd love something to keep my hands warm but also something that I can use a phone with as I love to take photographs. I'd imagine mittens don't work well with phones. Perhaps an inner glove and outer mitt is the answer.
Darrenmc
Mountain Walker

Munros:6   

Postby sking40 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:48 pm

You can feel things like physical buttons e.g. on a real camera through some mitts, but no kind of handwear really allows enough dexterity for using touchscreens. Buffalo stuff is much better against bare skin as it wicks moisture away and keeps a dry warm microclimate next to the skin that way, even when it's wet. I also never thought it could work so well until actually tried it.

Mitts are much easier to take on and off than gloves so if I need to do anything fiddly for a short time I just use bare hands and put the mitts back on quickly afterwards. (Also, Buffalo tops have a big front pocket that functions as a hand warmer, lined with the same material.)
sking40
Munro compleatist

Munros:242   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:03 pm

FWIW I also use a mix of gloves and mitts, gtx and non gtx. However, regardless of whether I'm wearing gloves, mitts or gtx mitts with fleece gloves inside, I always wear liner gloves such as those used by runners and don't take them off as they're sufficiently dexterous for fiddly things like cameras, eating etc.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby AyrshireAlps » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:20 pm

I'm keen to try out the buffalo mitts, seem to be well regarded.

In terms of taking pics, most phones have quick launch camera, my Samsung camera opens up with a double tap on power button, then volume Button for shutter.

This can be done even with big winter gloves on.

No need to remove gloves, unless you wanna change settings.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk