walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Water Filtration

Water Filtration

Postby Fragglerocks » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi Guys, just looking for recommendations from those that use water filtration systems on the hill. I'm looking at the Sawyer and lifestraw ones at the minute but not sure which is best for the average day (keen to make my pack lighter in the summer months especially) Thanks!
Fragglerocks
Hill Bagger

Munros:18   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:47   Islands:9

Re: Water Filtration

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:50 pm

I've got a sawyer mini filter and its very easy to use, although it requires you to put it together either as a straw or as part of a filtration system, however for my recent climb up Ben Nevis, I bought a katadyn befree bottle as its much easier to use when your knackered and don't want to put together anything.

Just unscrew, fill with water and squeeze, either into your mouth or into another bottle for later. Weighs nothing and did the job easily.

I went with the 0.6l bottle as it was for emergency use, so smaller and easier to pack away. If I was looking for something for more longer term use I'd probably go with the 1.0l version.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby walkingpoles » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:56 pm

I recently bought the Befree 1 litre for a hiking trip in south america. Hasslefree and basically weightless. I find it a very sensible idea to be able to fill the bottle at the last possibility without the need to worry what kind of water you'll find, and walk without the additional weight of water before that moment.

I will also use it in the Highlands. The only thing I am unsure about is how quickly peaty water (or sandy water, in case you walk through a desert) will be blocking/destroying the filter. I used the ceramic Katadyn filters before and they are easily cleanable even when drinking from swamps, but heavier and way more hassle.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Ben Nachie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:51 pm

I use the Sawyer 24oz water bottle. I bought it for my other half but she refuses to use it!

I have walked for over 30 years and never become ill through drinking unfiltered water, but since I now have the bottle, I use it. Perfect for a day walk, and useful for camping too, but a filter & bag would be better for camping.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Fragglerocks » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:39 pm

Great, thanks guys I'll have a look at them 👍🏼
Fragglerocks
Hill Bagger

Postby Driftwood » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:03 pm

Another vote for the Sawyer, in my case the mini filter with the smaller pouch.
One advantage is that the neck works with a lot of other bottles, including a pair of ~700ml pouch/bottles that I'd sourced from Aliexpress. It's some reassurance when you can't be sure what may be further up the stream, without a lot of extra bulk or weight than the water itself.

I'd previously used a different bottle (canteen) with filter that sits inside, but the closure on the neck went after a couple of years (just using on summer trips), making it likely to leak, especially when tilted to pour or drink.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby rgallie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:43 am

I use a Sawyer mini, I can not mind for the life of me what brand but it screws onto a certain 500ml water bottle perfectly. Possibly Co-op bottled water.
rgallie
Munro compleatist

Munros:69   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:25 pm

Another vote for the sawyer mini filter

Previous discussion here may help
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Fragglerocks » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:31 pm

I've had a look and I think I'll go for the sawyer mini, with a pack of the larger squeezy bags. I read something about it fitting to hydration bladders, anyone used it like that? Thanks 👍🏼
Fragglerocks
Hill Bagger

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:38 pm

Fragglerocks wrote:I've had a look and I think I'll go for the sawyer mini, with a pack of the larger squeezy bags. I read something about it fitting to hydration bladders, anyone used it like that? Thanks 👍🏼

2ltr PET Coke or similar bottle which is easier to fill in streams/burns, holds more, can be squashed flat and doesn't leak - filter thread attaches to most bottles of this type.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:06 pm

Fragglerocks wrote:I've had a look and I think I'll go for the sawyer mini, with a pack of the larger squeezy bags. I read something about it fitting to hydration bladders, anyone used it like that? Thanks 👍🏼

Its a great bit of kit, and more versatile than some.

You can use it "Inline" with a bladder's hose, but you won't get much flow if sucking. I use it with my Platypus/hose as a gravity filter to fill a separate platypus, rather than direct to mouth.
I do sometimes use it withe the small squeeze pouch it comes with, direct to mouth then.

Peaty water will clog the filter, though it is easily "back-flushable" withe syringe provided, which helps clean it well and needs doing quite often.

Mine is mostly used on canoe camping trips, I still drink straight from the stream in most of the upland Highlands, topping up my bottle from higher streams.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby simcc » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:08 am

And another vote for Sawyer, although to be honest I rarely use it and just drink straight from streams and springs
simcc
Munro compleatist

Munros:118   Corbetts:2

Postby Robinho08 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:35 am

Definitely the Sawyer Mini filter, it also fits on a regular Cola bottle, meaning you don't need to faff around with squeeze bags. The filter will also fit a Platypus water hydration bladder.

When you've hit camp, remember a rolling one minute on the boil is enough to kill all germs etc in the UK. No need to filter and boil, one or other. 8)
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Hola » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:04 pm

Sawyer
Travel Tap
Be Free if water not too contaminated, but above 2 get top marks
Used many countries
Hola
Scrambler

Postby crfishwick » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:24 pm

Fragglerocks wrote:Hi Guys, just looking for recommendations from those that use water filtration systems on the hill. I'm looking at the Sawyer and lifestraw ones at the minute but not sure which is best for the average day (keen to make my pack lighter in the summer months especially) Thanks!

After over 45 years tramping the Scottish hills never had a problem with water.

After stating that I have a lifestraw ( never used a pain to be honest) Also a Sawyer better IMHO. Although I 'ain't used that either.😀😀😀😀 But carry one.
crfishwick

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk