walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bongo makes it to Braemar-MacDui and Carn a'Mhaim Bike Hike

Bongo makes it to Braemar-MacDui and Carn a'Mhaim Bike Hike

Postby JimboJim » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:32 pm

Route description: Càrn a'Mhaim from the Linn of Dee

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 03/09/2018

Time taken: 6.8 hours

Distance: 32 km

Ascent: 1310m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had been faced with the dilemma of how to fit in Carn a'Mhaim and Ben Macdui? Would have liked to have done Macdui via the northern corries, but looked a long day and the options from the south looked good too. Eventually decided on the Linn of Dee, up Sron Riach, to Macdui, back to Carn a'Mhaim, then out. Easy :) The northern corries will wait for another day.
40684011_310853583025824_1514548452325851136_n_1024_576.jpg
Up the Lairig Ghru, to Braeriach.

As I headed north, things did not look good, due to the low cloud and smir. I did not fancy being on Macdui in anything other than decent vis. Still much low cloud, as I got on the bike at the Linn of Dee, but had to hope it would lift, as forecast had looked a good bit better. Cycled in to Derry Lodge, crossed the bridge and headed along Glen Luibeg. Able to cycle in to the edge of the forest at Luibeg Bridge, without much bother, before ditching the bike in the trees.

There is still a good path up the east side of the Luibeg Burn, before crossing onto the shoulder of Sron Riach. Now the climb really begins ..... and continues :) Fortunately, the mist was beginning to thin, offering the occasional glance into Coire Sputan Dearg and back down the glen. Stopped for some grub, then made for the small depression between Stob Coire Sputan Dearg and Macdui, which was stil enshrouded in fog when I got there. Not being too sure of my bearings, I stopped here 15/20 minutes, to let the cloud clear and then made my way to the top of the cliffs above Lochan Uaine. Surprised a wee fella who was making for the same spot, as I emerged from the fog. Poor chap had a less than comfortable night, sleeping in his cold, sweaty, bivvy bag. Sounds like the Bongo :lol:
Ben Avon 015_1024_670.JPG
Below Stob Coire Sputan Dearg.
Ben Avon 023_1024_768.JPG
Another Lochan Uanie. This one lies below Stob Coire Sputan Dearg.

After a wee bleather and few pics, made for the summit of Macdui, passing the Sapper's Hut, on the way. Nearly drifted by to the south, but mist cleared, revealing the large summit cairn, not far off. About this time, the other tops and more of Ben Macdui began to emerge, revealing more of the grandeur of the central Cairngorms. Fantastic!
Ben Avon 031_1024_768.JPG
Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochain Uaine - known as the Angel's Peak, begin to emerge from the clag.
Ben Avon 038_1024_676.JPG
Yours truly, summit of Ben Macdui, 1309m. No sign of the Old Grey Man, but I guess I fit the bill :)
Ben Avon 045_1024_696.JPG
Misty views down the Lairig Ghru. Ridge to Carn a'Mhaim, the next destination, below. The Devil's Point looks somewhat diminutive from up here.

After a few more photo's, headed back round to the top of the Allt Clach nan Taillear. The track soon petered out on a bewildering array of boulders, which wasn't much fun descending, many of the loose, or unstable. Seemed to take ages to get off these boulders and down to the bealach between Macdui and Carn a'Mhaim, though it is a fair descent! (I think one might be able to follow a better track, if heading up the way.)
Ben Avon 048_1024_708.JPG
Rocky descent route down the Allt Clach nan Taillear.
Ben Avon 049_1024_697.JPG
Across to Coire Bhrochain and Braeriach.
Ben Avon 051_1024_737.JPG
The Devil's Point. Beinn Bhrotain beyond.

Thereafter, headed south, up the ridge to Carn a'Mhaim, without any difficulties. Had look at various gullies, dropping down to the Lairig Ghru. Never saw any I would like to descend, though a few of my mates, must have dropped down one of these, into the glen, only a couple of months before. Thankfully, I didn't have to make such a choice :)
Ben Avon 062_1024_666.JPG
Ridge up to Carn a'Mhaim.
Ben Avon 067_1024_736.JPG
Looking back down ridge, to the imposing bulk of Ben Macdui.
Ben Avon 069_1024_720.JPG
Corrour Bothy at the foot of the Devil's do-dah. Did I mention the proper gaelic name is Bod an Deamhain, "Penis of the Demon?"
Ben Avon 072_1024_688.JPG
Back to Macdui. Stob Coire Sputan Dearg, to the right, actually looks higher.

As I was on the summit, could hear, then see, a S&R chopper further up the Lairig Ghru, which appeared to be on a search. Eventually hovered over myself. Wasn't too sure whether to try to gesticulate that I was ok, or that I wasn't aware of any bother, so did no gesticulating at all :)
Ben Avon 079_1024_704.JPG
Monadh Mor, at the head of Glen Geusachan.
Ben Avon 082_1024_680.JPG
Another of Macdui and Stob Coire Sputan Dearg.
Ben Avon 085_1024_276.JPG
The hills to the west and east, of the Lairig Ghru.
Ben Avon 086_1024_215.JPG
Beinn Bhrotain, round to Macdui.
Ben Avon 089_1024_768.JPG
Me. Ca'M.
Ben Avon 090_1024_685.JPG
Summit, Carn a'Mhaim.
Ben Avon 096_1024_684.JPG
Search and Rescue helicopter scouring the Lairig Ghru.

It was still a bit of a grey day, but took a few selfie's, etc, before descending SE, back down to the lovely pine forest at Luibeg Bridge. Spoke with a nice American couple, before jumping on the bike, making my way back out to the Linn, in just over 6 and three quarter hours, well satisfied with myself.
Ben Avon 097_1024_717.JPG
Over to Sron Riath and Coire Sputan Dearg.
Ben Avon 104_1024_768.JPG
Looking at me, looking at you! I didn't notice guy in the doorway at the time.
Ben Avon 105_1024_713.JPG
Out to Glen Derry. The long walk in, hence why I took the bike :)
Ben Avon 106_1024_768.JPG
Luibeg Bridge, a lovely spot.

Later checked out the start point for a hike up Ben Avon and Beinn a'Bhuird, the next day, before parking Bongo in Braemar caravan site, for the night. Enjoyed a few pints before a good sleep and early rise to meet Big Jesper the next day, which as they say, is another story :D
Ben Avon 110_1024_768.JPG
And the Bongo, well hidden away!
Last edited by JimboJim on Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Bongo makes it to Braemar-MacDui and Carn a'Mhaim Bike H

Postby AHillTooFar » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:37 pm

You are a brave man going down to Carn a'Mhaim from Macdui even going via the stream. I went up the way not using the stream and those wobbly rocks at times were nerve racking. The stunning views help but not the most pleasurable of experiences.
AHillTooFar
Mountaineer

Munros:29   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:1   

Postby JimboJim » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:49 pm

AHillTooFar wrote:You are a brave man going down to Carn a'Mhaim from Macdui even going via the stream. I went up the way not using the stream and those wobbly rocks at times were nerve racking. The stunning views help but not the most pleasurable of experiences.

Aye, yer right there, AHTF, max concentration required. I wouldn't like to try it with frost/ice/snow on the boulders, that's for sure. Anyway, we live to fight another day!

Cheers.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby JimboJim » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:27 pm

And a wee bit of vid :)

JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland