walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Decent grub between Glasgow and Oban

Decent grub between Glasgow and Oban

Postby John Doh » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:06 pm

Dear all

I will drive from Glasgow to Oban in June and fairly late in the afternoon so that I will probably arrive after the kitchens close around Oban. Hence the query: Are there any decent eateries on the roadside somewhere between Glasgow and Oban? Share knowledge please. I am willing to shell out a few quid for good food but will settle with a fish supper too if decent.

Cheers
John Doh

Sub 2000:2   
Islands:39

Re: Decent grub between Glasgow and Oban

Postby Veryhappybunny » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:16 pm

The Real Food Cafe at Tyndrum does brilliant food, and is open into the evening.

I have made a 20mile detour to eat there after a hill outing.

Menus are on the website. The staff are lovely, too.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:22 pm

The Real food cafe is not a bad recommendation. It's cafe and chip shop sort of stuff but pretty good.
The Drovers Inn is not to everyones taste but I have been a few times for food. Typical bar food but always been good also. Beinglas farm campsite has a good wee bar serving food as well. I have stayed there a few times and had food either there or the Drovers Inn.
I know fish and chips is not the healthiest food but I have sampled it all over Scotland. Oban probably has 3 of the best fish and chip shops in Scotland, it's a pity you are going to be too late to make it. :(
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Holly » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:10 pm

Another one for the Good Food Cafe at Tyndrum. Cracking spot
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:45 pm

If you go to Oban via Inveraray then you will miss the Drovers Inn at Inverarnan and the aforesaid Real Food eatery in Tyndrum. Mr Pia's Fried Food Emporium has the best fish and chips outside Oban - it is in Inveraray, and the George Hotel in Inveraray is also very good. If you go via Tyndrum I would avoid the Green Welly Boot Stop, which is a bit crap - my soup still had a lump of frozen soup in it! Oban itself has plenty of fish and chip shops which will likely be open late at that time of year.

IMG_4842aR.jpg
Mr Pia's fish and chips at Inveraray. Lovely.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:02 pm

I can 2nd Mr Pia's and The George. Also visited the Indian in Inveraray, can't mind the name but good also.
Sunset tripper

Postby John Doh » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:16 pm

Thanks for the advice so far, folks (and please, keep it coming).

I appreciate a good fish supper. I have had the pleasure to taste Frankie's up in Brae (Shetland), reputedly one of the best in the game. I also very much enjoyed the fish supper served by A.M. Politician on the Isle of Eriskay. But I digress...

I know the George Hotel in Inveraray and it is true that they cook up a good menu. Also, they poured me a dram of Port Ellen for 9 quid back in 2013 (which is cheap). That bottle must be long gone though.

I hadn't realized that it is not much of a difference time-wise to drive up to Oban via Inveraray so this is a real option, in particular as this would allow me to stop by Loch Fyne whiskies. 8)
John Doh

Postby iangpark » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:44 pm

The George is wonderful but haven't been for a few years. Cairnbaan Hotel would suffice if needing somewhere desperately (and they do do a mean fish pie according to my parents, as well as a fish and chips).
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby John Doh » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:51 pm

By the way, I'll probably be going to have a few hours to kill in Oban as well so please let me know which are the names of those famous chip shops you've been waxing about lyrical (looking at Sunset Tripper and Carberfeidh). :D
John Doh

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:33 pm

The three fish and chip shops I was thinking of are - The George St, The Oban (not to be confused with the Oban Bay :roll: ), and Nories.
All 3 are on George street which is the main street right in the town centre.
I have found all to be top quality and consistently good with Nories maybe just shading it from the Oban.

I lived in Oban as a kid and we only got something from the chip shop on the odd occasion. A place called Greasy Maggies which I always enjoyed. It no longer exists, maybe their marketing department wasn't the best. :D

For real seafood lovers the green shack on the railway pier is a must visit for Scallops, Langoustines and Mussels. :thumbup:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/oct/18/ee-usk-and-oban-seafood-hut-restaurant-reviews
Sunset tripper

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:51 am

I have never found a bad fish and chip shop in Oban. One thing I find I dislike is the price of pickled onions ~ ok this is a terrible first world problem, but I am Scottish and paying 30-40p for a measly pickled onion riles me. So I buy a jar of big pickled onions and keep them in the boot of the Caberfeidhmobile, along with some salt sachets purloined from various food outlets (KFC are good for freebie salt and napkins) and thus enhance my alfresco dining pleasure for minimal expense. Sauce sachets can also be freed from those little baskets they bring your condiments in at such places as Inverness Railway Station Cafe...
Now you only have the weather to be concerned about.

Withnail and I holiday.gif
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby John Doh » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:49 pm

Cheers lads, can‘t wait to be there 8)
John Doh

Postby John Doh » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:57 pm

btw Caberfeidh, that's stingy even for Scottish standards :lol:
John Doh

Postby Scougs » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:46 pm

Definitely go via Inveraray, which makes the perfect stop.

But definitely try the green seafood shack on Oban Pier. Just watch out for the seagulls if you try to walk along the pier eating a crab sandwich :-)
Scougs
Ambler

Munros:2   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby John Doh » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Scougs wrote:Definitely go via Inveraray, which makes the perfect stop.

But definitely try the green seafood shack on Oban Pier. Just watch out for the seagulls if you try to walk along the pier eating a crab sandwich :-)

Cheers, good advice. I know that you can keep bonxies at bay by lifting a stick (or stiff arm) above the head. Does that work with sea gulls too while eating?
John Doh

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion