walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Crampons

Crampons

Postby Tara H » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:09 pm

Hello,

I am looking to buy crampons. However I cannot find the rating for my boots to buy suitable crampons. They are Karrimor Orkney 5 walking boots. Anyone have any advice?
Tara H
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Crampons

Postby davekeiller » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:41 pm

Are they crampon compatible at all?
The marketing blurb doesn't mention crampons, so I would assume that they are not designed to be worn with them. A quick test would be to hold the heel of the sole in one hand and the toe in the other and try to bend the sole back. If the sole bends more than a few degrees, then the boots aren't stiff enough for crampons.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:58 pm

Kahtoola KTS crampons should work fine with them, but pretty much nothing else. You may however find a stiffer pair of boots more supportive and reassuring in snowy conditions even when crampons are not required.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:45 am

My first crampon/boot combo was not the best; my boots were a bit too bendy but with the proper strappage my boots stayed on most of the time, only falling off at inopportune moments like halfway up a frozen gully in the Cairngorms in the dark with a long way to get back to the bothy... Expensive boot/crampon combos are not necessary unless climbing the Eiger or major Himalayan peaks. Will you be climbing or walking? For frozen paths Katoolah Microspikes are great and very comfortable, but not suitable for rough/steep hillsides. These will also prolong the life of your crampons by saving them for the necessary slopes.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2058

January 10 Aonach Mhor gully.JPG
Crampon straps - Scotch Ring, none of your clip-in nonsense here thanks.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk