walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

River, canal, two lochs, stags and a path to rival the A9

River, canal, two lochs, stags and a path to rival the A9

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Route description: Loch Ness 360: Fort Augustus to Foyers

Date walked: 26/11/2018

Distance: 8 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In March 2018 Moira and I completed the South Loch Ness Trail as part of our run up to the West Highland Way. Well we thought we had completed it but then in August another stretch was opened between Fort Augustus and Loch Tarff. We'd already ticked off that we'd done the Trail but now it was unfinished so we had to get back down there to walk the new bit.

My idea was to take one car and do the walk there and back. But when it came to the day Moira had to be back by 4.00 and didn't want to feel under time pressure so Pete came to the rescue and agreed to be our driver, dropping us in FA and picking us up at Loch Tarff, with the reward of lunch at Cameron's Tearoom, Foyers.

He brought 14 year old dog Jack and 4 month old pup Keira. Neither of them would be able to cover much of the distance but he planned to walk with us for a bit at the start, spend an hour in FA, drive to Loch Tarff and walk some of the way back to meet us.

We parked in the big car park, gave the old dog a short walk and left him to snooze in the car, while the pup came with us. Guidelines for walking labrador puppies is 5 minutes per month of their lives so she could walk for 20 minutes. That meant 10 minutes with us, then 10 minutes back to the car with Pete. She would have happily gone further but there's a risk of over-exercise damaging immature joints, leading to arthritis. We hadn't known this with a previous pup.... and in later life he developed arthritis. So we were being more careful this time.

We got her at 8 weeks from a gamekeeper in Glen Esk and called her Keira which is Irish Gaelic for dark-haired girl.

Keira at 8 weeks
IMG_6765-largec.JPG

First bridge we crossed is over the River Oich near where it flows into Loch Ness (M's pic)
46899430_10156752198493788_298452965251874816_o-large.jpg

Moira and the Mill Shop in former church
IMG_6965-largec.JPG

Caledonian Canal Centre where Pete filled in the time with a newspaper, coffee and scone
IMG_6964-large.JPG

Turning point for the pup
IMG_6968-largec.JPG

The route we followed is exactly as described by WH and it would be difficult to go wrong as the path is well constructed and signed. What struck us both is that no expense has been spared putting in this route at a time Highland Council is strapped for cash and clawing back millions from essential sectors like education. Not sure how they could afford this unless other bodies were involved, which they clearly were.

On the plus side having new long distance routes available can only be good for tourism, once they are known. The south side of Loch Ness is less frequented than the west and arguably more attractive with its hills and lochs set high above Loch Ness earning it the accolade 'Trossachs of the north' - but far less well known. I am biased as my granny came from Stratherrick.

South end of Loch Ness
IMG_6970-largec.JPG

Grazing Greylag Geese
IMG_6971-largec.JPG

Line of trees
IMG_6973-large.JPG

Former abbey
IMG_6978-large.JPG

Zig zag path up from from Loch Ness
IMG_6983-largec.JPG

Fort Augustus
IMG_6985-large.JPG

New path with better surface than the A9 - not a pot hole anywhere to be found
IMG_6986-large.JPG

Fellow walkers ahead
IMG_6989-large.JPG

As the path crossed the moor we came across another fellow walker in the shape of a large stag. He got himself into a bit of a panic running alongside a fence until a high gate barred his way and his only option was back towards us. Stags that feel trapped could potentially be dangerous so we went off the path to give him space to pass, which he did very quickly and was last seen bounding away as if the devil was after him. We saw several other stags near Loch Tarff, which we had done the last time we were there. It seems to be a stag hot spot.

Footbridge
IMG_6991-large.JPG

Loch Tarff
IMG_6992-largec.JPG

Look who came to meet us
IMG_6994-large.JPG

Loch Tarff from new path
IMG_6996-large.JPG

IMG_6999-large.JPG

IMG_7000-largec.JPG

Once reunited with the car we continued along the B862 towards the junction for Foyers which would take us to lunch at Cameron's. But before we had gone far we reached the viewpoint over Stratherrick which was my granny's last requested place to visit before moving down to Yorkshire. She was born and brought up on a croft in Stratherrick and died a few years after that move south, so it's always a poignant spot for me.

Viewpoint
IMG_7001-large.JPG

Stratherrick
IMG_7002-large.JPG

We found it a lovely addition to the South Loch Ness Trail with its river, canal, lochs and wildlife along the way. Not a long walk for us but tagged on to the stretch from Loch Tarff to Foyers makes it a length to equal some of those on the West Highland Way.
Last edited by dogplodder on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: River, canal, two lochs, stags and a path to rival the A

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:01 pm

I saw this newly laid path when I climbed the Sub2 Beinn a'Bhacaidh, South of a Loch Ness last December, I wondered what it was now I know.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:48 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:I saw this newly laid path when I climbed the Sub2 Beinn a'Bhacaidh, South of a Loch Ness last December, I wondered what it was now I know.

It's always good to know. We spend half our time when we're out discussing what's what. We humans like to know stuff. Can't imagine sheep and deer talking about which hill is which in the far distance, in the way we do! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby gld73 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:34 pm

Nice pics, thanks for the report; I've done the northern part of the SLNT a couple of times, so will hopefully get round to doing the southern end and completing the whole thing in the next few weeks. Always seemed a bit daft ending at Loch Tarff, it's a much more attractive option now it goes to Ft Augustus!

Now I just need to study the bus timetables to see whether to do it N to S or S to N!!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:30 pm

gld73 wrote:Nice pics, thanks for the report; I've done the northern part of the SLNT a couple of times, so will hopefully get round to doing the southern end and completing the whole thing in the next few weeks. Always seemed a bit daft ending at Loch Tarff, it's a much more attractive option now it goes to Ft Augustus!

Now I just need to study the bus timetables to see whether to do it N to S or S to N!!

Starting at Fort Augustus is uphill to Loch Tarff, but if you're only doing that bit you could always do it there and back and catch the next bus home. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby Hardy » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:24 pm

I am a 68years old German, spending as much time as possible in my beloved Scotland.
Due to health problems I am these days little handicapped and little more challenging walks/hikes are not recommended anymore.
Upon doctor´s recommendation my wife and I have now bought E-bikes.
Our planned 3-months´ Scotland tour with campervan this year, we regrettably had to cancel due to Corona pandemic.
The outlook that we can undertake this tour now in 2021 also does not look too bright.
Nevertheless, as soon as we can hop over to Scotland again, we will be on our way !
You did the South Loch Ness Walk, which we would also fancy to do.
My question is whether we possibly could also do this tour with our E-Bikes (Treckking type), or can this only be
managed with mountain bikes ?
We would very much appreciate some brief comments and wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy (better) 2021
Hardy (email ekhuth@t-online.de)
Hardy

Postby dogplodder » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:22 pm

Hardy wrote:I am a 68years old German, spending as much time as possible in my beloved Scotland.
Due to health problems I am these days little handicapped and little more challenging walks/hikes are not recommended anymore.
Upon doctor´s recommendation my wife and I have now bought E-bikes.
Our planned 3-months´ Scotland tour with campervan this year, we regrettably had to cancel due to Corona pandemic.
The outlook that we can undertake this tour now in 2021 also does not look too bright.
Nevertheless, as soon as we can hop over to Scotland again, we will be on our way !
You did the South Loch Ness Walk, which we would also fancy to do.
My question is whether we possibly could also do this tour with our E-Bikes (Treckking type), or can this only be
managed with mountain bikes ?
We would very much appreciate some brief comments and wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy (better) 2021
Hardy (email ekhuth@t-online.de)

Good to hear from you and hopefully you will manage your trip to Scotland in 2021. The part of the South Loch Ness Trail from Fort Augustus to Loch Tarff should be okay to cycle but some parts from Loch Tarff to Foyers would be more challenging. As for Foyers to Dores, there's a boulder with chains that would be tricky to negotiate with a bike.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=79320

Most of the Speyside Way from Grantown to Newtonmore has an excellent track suitable for cycling, if that is of any interest to you.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=85547
dogplodder

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland