walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Goauch and Scolty Hills - Banchory

Goauch and Scolty Hills - Banchory

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:50 pm

Date walked: 18/01/2019

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 300m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Extra walk for H this week. GordonC had just finished his chores, so he came too.
First time out in the snow for a while for these fair weather walkers ! The rewards were tremendous - I'd forgotten how fantastic it is to walk in winter snows with the sun shining.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

An easy target was the Hump - Hill of Goauch at the back of Scolty hill. It was sunny wi nae wind, so it was like a sunday stroll. I even forsook my walking shoes for my boots. The Scolty car park was fairly busy with dog-walkers. Our start was delayed by Harvey deciding to have a dump in the car park which necessitated some scrambling around for a receptacle. Eventually I sacrificed a Tesco carrier bag, which was duly filled as I tried to stay up-wind from the reek ! H was oblivious to our nose-twitching as he happily sniffed around all these other lovely doggy smells.
We left the Scolty walkers behind as we cut off the track and up towards the dyke that runs along the southern flanks of Scolty and Goauch.
Some bikers had already been on the path, so we just followed their tracks up to the top of Goauch.

The first cairn on Goauch.jpg
The first cairn on Goauch

Magnificent Scots pine forest on Goauch.jpg
Magnificent Scots pine forest on Goauch

Plooterin along the top of Goauch.jpg
GordonC plooterin' along the top o Goauch

GordonC annd Harvey pose at the top of Goauch.jpg
GordonC and Harvey pose at the top of Hill o Goauch

We followed everyone else's routine of wandering around the top visiting all the knobs until we found the one at the far end that looked like the highest top. We blundered around for a wee while looking for the ruined tower, but gave up and headed over to Scolty. Seemed a shame not to take it in, as the sun was shining on it and its tower in all its glory !

An oot o focus Scolty awaits.jpg
An oot o focus Scolty awaits....

must've been a bit windy for this Larch !.jpg
Must've been windy for this Larch

View from Scolty Hill -.JPG
View from Scolty Hill - GordonB & H posing this time with unsuspecting walkers.

GordonC & Harvey leaving Scolty Hill.jpg
GordonC & Harvey leaving Scolty Hill

We strolled back to the car after solving the latest Brexit cunundrum - no idea what these politicians are doing - its easy ! GordonC and I solved Brexit ages ago plus at least another dozen or so world crisis last year !

Fantastic day in fantastic weather - aren't we lucky to live around here........
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland