walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chroin, last of the Crianlarich seven.

Beinn a'Chroin, last of the Crianlarich seven.

Postby maxie23 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 17/01/2019

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1098m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn a'Chroin 17 Jan 2019.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was my third attempt to climb Beinn a'Chroin, previous outings having been cut short due to bad weather and running out of time on a multiple munro trip.
Weather looked quite reasonable for January, brisk northerly wind gradually easing down during the day and the promise of clear blue skies.
Wind chill on summit at first light around -20, warming up as the day progressed.
Left the lay by on the A82 as it started to get light and began the walk up alongside the River Falloch. The first part of the track is surfaced and leads up to a small dam on the river. On the way, you pass the cut off on the left for the ascent up to Cruach Ardrain, and the cut off on the right for An Caisteal.ImageIMG_3780 Beinn a'Chroin at dawn by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3781 An Caisteal summit at dawn by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3783 by Dam on River Falloch robert irvine, on Flickr

Once you reach the dam, the track ends and you follow the river uphill and try and avoid the worst of the boggy bits, some were frozen over and some were not. There are a couple of intermittent paths but I just made my own way up.
On the way you pass the rock garden as mentioned in many previous reports.ImageIMG_3788 by robert irvine, on Flickr
After a couple of kilometers, you cross over the river, now just a stream, and begin the ascent up the North West ridge.
This is where the crampons went on, everything was coated in ice. ImageIMG_3794
Icy ridge
by robert irvine, on Flickr
There was a path, but at times it disappeared under the snow and ice,ImageIMG_3798
path / ice chute
As you gained height, the wind began to pick up and the temperature began to drop.
The views were great.ImageIMG_3795
view down river Falloch
by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3796 Cruach Ardrain behind a big rock by robert irvine, on Flickr
It was a really enjoyable walk up, the feeling of security that wearing crampons gives you while crunching over the ice.
Arriving at the first, and lower, summit, the wind was really strong.
It made a roaring noise like a train passing by and was blowing up clouds of spindrift.
Trying to stand and take photos was a bit of an effort, but the scenery was fantastic.ImageIMG_3801
Cruach Ardrain, Ben More, Stob Binnein and Beinn Tulaichean
by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3800
An Caisteal
by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3802 Panoramic view, Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin left, Ben Ledi centre by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3803 Ben Lomond in the sun by robert irvine, on Flickr
I then made my way down the dip and back up to the true summit, passing by, and through, some lovely icicles.ImageIMG_3806 Icicles on Beinn a'Chroin by robert irvine, on Flickr
The views from the true summit were just as good.
Apart from one.Image20190117_125722 Auld git blocking a view of An Caisteal by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3815
Ben Lui range
by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3817 Ben Cruachan group by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3821 Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin in distance by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3825
Bridge of Orchy hills, Cruach Ardrain on right
by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3826
View from Beinn a'Chroin summit to secondary summit
by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3827
view to Ben Ledi
I then found a sheltered spot out of the wind and in the bright sunshine.
Sat for a good 45 mins and just enjoyed where I was, doesn't get much better than this.
On the way back, I cut the corner and missed out the second summit and followed the same route back down.
On the way along the river, I passed this rock.
Does it look like an Easter Island statue with hair, or am I becoming light headed after a long walk.ImageIMG_3832 Easter Island statue with hair ? by robert irvine, on Flickr
Cracking day out.
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Beinn a'Chroin, last of the Crianlarich seven.

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Great photos of some wonderful winter conditions - shows these hills at their very best.

I was on Ben Lomond that day. Sadly I didn't have time to stay on the top for a 45 min break to enjoy the view - well done!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:20 pm

This is my last of the seven too which I'm hoping to climb in the spring so will have less of the white stuff. Helpful to have your route, so thanks. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby maxie23 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:21 pm

dogplodder wrote:This is my last of the seven too which I'm hoping to climb in the spring so will have less of the white stuff. Helpful to have your route, so thanks. 8)

Thanks dogplodder.
Good luck in the spring.

Just read your report about Callie.
So sorry for your loss
maxie23

Postby maxie23 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:26 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Great photos of some wonderful winter conditions - shows these hills at their very best.

I was on Ben Lomond that day. Sadly I didn't have time to stay on the top for a 45 min break to enjoy the view - well done!

Tim

Thanks Tim

Days like this make the effort all worthwhile.

I would have sat there all day given half a chance

Regards

Robert
maxie23

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:44 am

Yes next time I get to the hills, must take a flask up - having a hot drink at a summit is a must for me in cold weather!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland