walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Montane Terra pants

Montane Terra pants

Postby Bonzo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:46 pm

I've had my pair of Montane Terra pants for over three years now and have really enjoyed wearing them so I decided to purchase a second pair.

I didn't bother trying them on in the store as they were the same model and size as my previous pair.

However, on trying the new pair on at home I found that the 'new' XXL is massively smaller than my previous pair - I'm talking about the thigh, bum and waist. Completely different.

As anyone else experienced anything similar with Montane Terras? Could they have been incorrectly labelled or have Montane changed their sizes over the years? If so, being as XXL is the largest size they do that's the end of Montane Terras for me.
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Re: Montane Terra pants

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:46 pm

I'm a fan on montane terras too, but not bought any for a while, might be best contacting the company directly to see if they have messed around with their sizing recently? It might be poor quality control by their far east suppliers?
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Robinho08 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Still on my first pair from 2011, love them. Would probably try them on when buying a new pair though. Did you exchange them?
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Bonzo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:32 am

I returned the trousers for a refund.

I did contact Montane who informed me that 'the size and fit of our products is occasionally improved and refined however we wouldn’t normally expect a change quite as big as you have described with exactly the same model'.

Looks like I need to find an alternative.
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Postby Robinho08 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:28 pm

That's a pity, they're good trousers. I would have been tempted to try another pair on the off chance.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:24 pm

Bonzo wrote:
However, on trying the new pair on at home I found that the 'new' XXL is massively smaller than my previous pair - I'm talking about the thigh, bum and waist. Completely different.

I have the same problem.But unfortunately it seems to extend to anything new. May have something to do with the fact that R has now cut sugar out of his diet as his legs are too bad for much walking and he thinks he will put on weight. This has left me to finish all the Xmas cake, all the Xmas pudding and 4 boxes of chocs all by myself since Dec 25th. However, I am sure you will have compared both pairs.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Bonzo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:22 am

Sgurr wrote:
Bonzo wrote:

I have the same problem.But unfortunately it seems to extend to anything new. May have something to do with the fact that R has now cut sugar out of his diet as his legs are too bad for much walking and he thinks he will put on weight. This has left me to finish all the Xmas cake, all the Xmas pudding and 4 boxes of chocs all by myself since Dec 25th. However, I am sure you will have compared both pairs.

Ha ha - I did wonder about that but the fact that my old pair still fit perfectly helped ease my concerns.
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Postby Eskimo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:03 pm

I have experienced this with the Terras too. Bought a pair 2 years ago and had to opt for a large....I'm a 30 inch waist! Even then I had to have them adjusted to remove some of the elastic to make them more comfortable.
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Postby regedmunds » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:52 pm

I bought a pair of Montane Terra pants a while ago and they fit me really well and I like them a lot.

On a long hike I like to carry a spare pair of trousers, so last year I bought some cheap Decathlon ones for £9.99. Absolutely wonderful! I was so impressed I rushed back a week later and bought a second pair, by now they were in a sale, £7.99! Both pairs fit me perfectly, they are lightweight, easy to wash, they dry very quickly, roll up very small, the material is smooth against my skin and they are tough as well. In August last year I walked and camped for two weeks in the Pyrenees, took both pairs of my Decathlons and left my Montanes at home.

They wouldn't keep your legs warm in the winter though.
regedmunds

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk