walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Inneses via bike up the Lairig

The Inneses via bike up the Lairig

Postby clem_f » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Cruach Innse, Sgùrr Innse

Date walked: 10/02/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1066m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lovely day here after a few days of wind and rain with storm erik. Wanted to go out on the bike and do a couple of hill, so thought these two looked a good bet. Didn't follow the WH route, as I started from the Bealach between the two hills, so I'd start and and return to the bike at the same place. As it turned out I think it was wise in another way, as I made the footprints in the snow on the way up Cruach Innse, and so I could retrace them on the way back. As usual with the snow had a hard time making out the track, which I did see at times. There was a small amount of easy scrambling on the way up Cruach Innse. The way I took up Sgurr Innse was a narrow path up the front of the hill which had a few slightly exposed drops, but I wouldn't think it was too bad. Although I can't be sure I was on the actual route to be honest.

I was hoping to be able to do Stob Ban, but the snow slowed me down as always, so just rode down to the bothy to have a look and take a few pics before heading back. Please don't use my route for navigation - I can't offer any guarantee I was actually on the right track all the time!

Innse.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sob Coire na Ceannain in the morning sun
P2107202.jpg

Looking North from the point where the WH route leaves the Lairig
P2107204.jpg

The start of the WH route
P2107205.jpg

Looking south down the Lairig Leacach
P2107215.jpg

Cruach Innse from the side of Sgurr Innse
P2107226.jpg

Bothy and Stob Ban
20190210_134700.jpg

The Corbetts out the window
20190210_135202.jpg
clem_f
Munro compleatist

Re: The Inneses via bike up the Lairig

Postby Sgurr » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:20 pm

That looks an excellent way of doing these two, especially if you are using a bike. You won't have had the problems we had when I completed the Corbetts on them....namely we couldn't climb them fast enough to get rid of the midges...another good reason to take the bike (though we could just out-walk them). Was the Wee Minister looking well (i.e. sinister)?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: The Inneses via bike up the Lairig

Postby clem_f » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:45 am

Sgurr wrote:That looks an excellent way of doing these two, especially if you are using a bike. You won't have had the problems we had when I completed the Corbetts on them....namely we couldn't climb them fast enough to get rid of the midges...another good reason to take the bike (though we could just out-walk them). Was the Wee Minister looking well (i.e. sinister)?

I guess all the midges have flown south for the winter, but as always, they'll be back! It is a nice ride down there - sometimes on rough tracks taking the bike is a bit pointless, as I can hardly go above walking pace, but that was a good track. I was actually thinking of going further down there someday and crossing over the stream to go up Stob Coire an Easain, but I'm not sure how difficult that stream would be to ford further down.

The minister is still there, got a pic of him of course.
20190210_145143.jpg

He is definitely sinister - it's those eyes. He sort of has a grin, but I can't help feeling that maybe he doesn't approve of all this recreational walking.
clem_f
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland