walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

craig cwm silyn (nantlle ridge) from cwm pennant

craig cwm silyn (nantlle ridge) from cwm pennant

Postby petenelliewalking » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:03 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Craig Cwm Silyn

Date walked: 15/02/2019

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 690m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Unfortunately, this isn't much of a trip report but the route taken may well be useful to someone trying to plan a circular walk on the Nantlle ridge from Cwm Pennant. The route could be extended westwards to include Garnedd Goch, Mynydd Graig Goch and Cae Amos bothy. Or, you could use this route to return to lower ground rather than going back east over the ridge to return to Rhyd Ddu.

Start off by taking the ATV track from behind Braichydinas, this takes you up to soggy Cwm Braich y Ddinas. Continue up to SH 52816 49360 then turn right, uphill across rough grassland for a few hundred metres to gain a grassy broad ridge (this follows a stream that isn't marked on the map and a wall that does not exist in real life but does on the map!). Once on the broad, grassy ridge a faint track leads up the boulder field on the south side of Craig Cwm Silyn. A faint path heading west takes you through the boulder field and on to the summit plateau.

NOTE route finding in ascent is easy enough, but picking up the faint path through through the boulder field in descent would be difficult in poor visibility.

Which brings me to the GPX file.... I've had to plot this by hand with the aid of the recorded track on my phone (I don't have enough memory to save the track)... I've tried to plot the waypoints for the path through the boulder field accurately... but beware!!!

I'll post a few photos when I remember how to do it.

start of walk, looking to snowdon
Imageprince of wales and snowdon by Peter, on Flickr

on broad grassy shoulder
Imageheading up craig cwm silyn by Peter, on Flickr

view from top (old photo)
ImageNantlle Ridge by Peter, on Flickr

view west from garnedd goch
Imagemynydd graig goch by Peter, on Flickr

Some various old Nantlle ridge photos....
cae amos
Imagecae amos by Peter, on Flickr

ruin
Imagethe saddest dog bowl in britain by Peter, on Flickr

coming off the western end of ridge looking to cors y gwaed
Imagecors y gwaed by Peter, on Flickr

east to trum y ddysgl
Imagelooking back to trum y ddysgl with snowdon behind by Peter, on Flickr

mynydd drws y coed in winter
Imageon the nantlle ridge by Peter, on Flickr

the convenient trum y ddysgl ridge running down to the head of cwm pennant
Imagesnowy nantlle ridge by Peter, on Flickr
Attachments

route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

petenelliewalking
Ambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:13   

Re: craig cwm silyn (nantlle ridge) from cwm pennant

Postby gaffr » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:11 am

I guess not many of us on here have got into this area,? we had one trip in here, approaching from the NW with an easy walk in to the Lochs in the Coire to reach the fine crags of Craig Yr Ogof. So quiet in here at that time. We had the area to ourselves and compared to the other areas of Snowdonia that we got to a real bonus. The two classic routes that we ascended on Craig Yr Ogof were well worth the time spent in there. A very enjoyable day out. My diary tells all, well most, of our stravaiging
But that was thirty five years ago in June '84.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland