walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Saas Grund- the Mattmark and the Ofental

Saas Grund- the Mattmark and the Ofental

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:40 pm

Date walked: 15/08/2017

Time taken: 7

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Saas valley is an excellent place to acclimatise for bigger things: apart from the significant number of walking peaks above 3000m, you can drive or use the regular bus service to the 2200m Mattmark Stausee at the head of the valley and follow various routes to the italian border - or just take the 2--3 hour circuit around it. I have visited this area almost every year since 2001 and photos are from different occasions
4700.jpg
Map of the Mattmark and Ofenta : there are names in German and Italian - sometimes both
Furthest South, the Monte Moro pass (lifts up from Macugnaga on the Italian side) is the route taken by the Circuit of Monte Rosa walk, while further left are the Mondelli Pass, and at the head of the Ofental, the Ofental pass, the Jazzilücke and the Antrona pass at the head of the Furggtal.
4701.jpg
From the dam the parallel lateral moraines left by the retreating Allalin glacier are striking - it's difficult to comprehend that in the "middle ages" the snout of glacier regularly extended across the main valley (blocking it) and as recently as 1965 collapsed here killing eighty eight construction workers in their sleeping quarters :(
4702.jpg
Going clockwise, a view taken a bit further round - the current front of the rapidly retreating glacier can be seen at the top
4703.jpg

4704.jpg
Two views looking back from near the head of the Stausee. In 2018 there was so much winter snow that the water appears turqoise and the level is quite high :) . in other years the water has been much lower and a muddy grey in colour :(
About halfway down the Eastern side a diagonal path leads up to the Ofental - a wide easy-angled hanging valley.
4705.jpg
Looking across the Stausee from the path: The Rimpfischhorn and Strahlhorn
4706.JPG
A wider view from a bit higher
4707.jpg
Entering the valley : I've always want to climb these hills - The Galmenhorn and Spechhorn - but never managed it yet :(
4708.jpg

4709.jpg

4710.jpg
Looking up the almost flat valley. At one point the path branches and you can head Right across the stream and contour South to join the Monte Moro path. However I tried it once and found the Stafelbach an uncrossable roaring torrent so I had to come all the way back :(
4711.jpg
Eriophorum angustifolium - Common Cottongrass
4712.jpg
Campanula excisa - Incised Bellflower is very common in the Saas valley but occurs almost nowhere else
4713.jpg
The Stellihorn
4714.jpg
Zoomed
The first time I came up the Ofental in 2003 (trying to get fit) I felt I needed something a bit steeper and seeing the 3436m Stellihorn to my Left headed straight up :shock: - I must have been bonkers :lol: :lol: I climbed directly to the obvious red rock, contoured Right beneath it and then on up some pleasant overlapping slabs to the top. At one point I could see the horns of a sunbathing Ibex sticking out above me. I thought it might panic if I came upon it suddenly so I shouted and off it went :lol:
4715.jpg
Summit cairn
4716.jpg
View West to the Strahlhorn, Rimpfischhorn, Allalinhorn, Alphubel and the Mischabel: Notice that the snout of the Allalin glacier (far L) is way lower than in 2018
I descended quite a bit further left, but about 50 m from the path in the valley I stepped awkwardly on a loose stone, turned my ankle over and was hors de combat for a few days :( accidents happen when you least expect them :lol:
4717.jpg
Looking on up to the 2833m Ofental pass
4718.jpg
Pedicularis kerneri - Kerners Lousewort
Further up the path divides and you can head L to the 3080m Jazzilücke, follow the frontier round to the 2837m Antrona pass and descend the Furggtal to Saas Almagel - a popular circuit.
4719.jpg
You traverse on the Italian side by an easy but exposed ledge below the steep face of the Jazzihorn. There was a wire for protection - but almost all the bolts securing it to the mountain had fallen out :shock: Only in Italy :lol: :lol: :lol:
4720.jpg
From the Jazzilücke - looking down to the Lago de Cingino
Continuing up towards the Ofental pass, the grass gradually thins out and leads to a wilderness of scree, rocks and snow patches
4721.jpg
The last of "green" slopes
4722.JPG
a wider view
4723.jpg
Looking back
4724.jpg
Veronica bellidoides - Daisy-leaved Speedwell
4725.jpg
The 3050m Ofentalhorn - some grade II climbing is needed to get to the top
4726.JPG
difficult to find a path here but there are occasional cairns
4727.JPG
looking N to the Stellihorn and Jazzihorn: the Jazzilücke is the notch R of centre: the peak in front is the 3103m Pizzo Cingino sud
4728.jpg
Another view S to the Ofentalhorn. On an earlier occasion I climbed up to the start of the difficulties and returned to the valley down these snow slopes
4729.jpg
NW down the valley to the Alphubel. Taschhorn, Dom and Lenspitze
4730.jpg
The ridge leading towards the Ofentalhorn - the top of the near "lump" was as far as I got in 2017
4731.jpg
On the "lump" - Italy on the L
4732.jpg
A wider view down the valley into Italy
On the way up, the stunning flowers on the diagonal path below the valley were all in shadow, but I got some photos on the descent - though the strong breeze didn't help :lol:
4733.jpg
Chrisanthemium alpinum - Alpine Marguerite
4735.jpg
Rhodeola rosa - Roseroot
4736.jpg
Centaurea alpestris - Alpine Knapweed
4737.jpg
Silene rupestris - Rock Campion
As you return across the dam there are a series of stone "plaques" telling the history of the Saas valley from early times (when the Monte Moro was a N/S trade route) right up until the present. They are set as a rough calendar (so that the first ones are hundreds of metres apart while the latest only several metres)
4738.jpg
An evening view of the old moraines
4739.jpg
A last look up the Stausee - a couple of the white plaques can be seen in the front
Last edited by past my sell by date on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Saas Grund- the Mattmark and the Ofental

Postby Pointless Parasite » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:51 pm

Looks fantastic, thanks for sharing. I've been meaning to visit Saas Fee rather than the usual Zermatt or Grindlewald for my annual Alps trip, but have been put off by the apparent lack of hiking peaks. The Stellihorn looks good though. What about the Almagellhorn?
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:05 pm

Pointless Parasite wrote:Looks fantastic, thanks for sharing. I've been meaning to visit Saas Fee rather than the usual Zermatt or Grindlewald for my annual Alps trip, but have been put off by the apparent lack of hiking peaks. The Stellihorn looks good though. What about the Almagellhorn?

Hi PP
I would say there were more walking peaks in the Saas valley than almost anywhere else.
Jegihorn, Joderhorn beside Monte Moro, Mittelruck, and Sonighorn (from Almageler hut) come to mind - Mitaghorn from Saas Fee lifts ,and as long as you have crampons the Lagginhorn is very easy - no crevasses.
Again there are the two peaks I mentioned S of the Ofental which you can also approach from the Mondelli side. From Mondelli you can also traverse the Joderhorn by a very easy scramble. There is a walking route up the Almagellerhorn - but you need a guidebook to find it.
Don't know if you generally camp but if you want somewhere to stay, Robi's restraurant is cheap(ish) friendly, English speaking and the food is A1. Hotel prices include free use of all lifts and buses in the summer - quite useful for an active person
Last edited by past my sell by date on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby Pointless Parasite » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Thanks, you've convinced me! Have you climbed the Lagginhorn? That was another peak I had in mind to add to my 4000er list. Weissmies is another possibility, also Allalinhorn or Alphubel, though I would need to hire a guide for anything with glacier travel.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:58 pm

Pointless Parasite wrote:Thanks, you've convinced me! Have you climbed the Lagginhorn? That was another peak I had in mind to add to my 4000er list. Weissmies is another possibility, also Allalinhorn or Alphubel, though I would need to hire a guide for anything with glacier travel.

Yes I've done all Swiss 4000nders - The Lagginhorn twice - the South ridge with a guide and the Ordinary route with friends - we only roped up for a brief section on the way down
All the ones you mention are very easy, and very low risk - but you would need a guide - or a companion for all except the Lagginhorn. If you get an early metro train you should be able to do Allalinhorn and Alpubel in one outing I think. The Weissmeis is nicest from the Almageller hut - but you could traverse it to Haut Saas and descen the lift home from there
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby Pointless Parasite » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:00 am

Great, thanks for the info :D
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Postby dav2930 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:16 pm

Looks a lovely area with some great walking, Tony. Informative report with some very nice photos, as ever. Can't believe there's a peak called the 'Jazzihorn'! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:05 pm

dav2930 wrote:Looks a lovely area with some great walking, Tony. Informative report with some very nice photos, as ever. Can't believe there's a peak called the 'Jazzihorn'! :lol:

I'ts quite a common name in the area - there's a Cima di Jazzi on the Weissgrat - North of Monte Rosa . I assume it's pronounced Jatzi but I don't really know :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland