walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Suggestions for a 3-day walk in the Highlands

Suggestions for a 3-day walk in the Highlands

Postby jazzmozz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:16 pm

Hello,
Last year my best friend and I did 3 stages of the Cateran trail. Some years ago we walked the complete West Highland Way. You could say that we like walking in the Highlands and that we're experienced hikers.

For this summer (probably June), we would like to do another walk in Scotland, but we have some requirements/limitations:
1. Three day walk
2. Either part of a long distance path or individual walks; but finish of each stage should be the start of the next
3. Start or finish is within max. 3 hrs driving of Edinburgh or Glasgow airport (because we come from abroad)
4. Between 16 and 25 km (10 and 15.5 mi) each day
5. Catered accommodation (hotel, hostel or B&B) at start and/or finish and at the end of each stage
6. Nice scenery of course :D and a whiskey distillery to quench our thirst won't be rejected 8)

I have done some research and the only option I could find until now is the Rob Roy Way (stages 1. Strathyre to Killin, 2. Killin to Ardtalnaig and 3. Ardtalnaig to Aberfeldy) although finding accommodation in Ardtalnaig could be problematic.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome and highly appreciated!

Thank you.
jazzmozz
Munro compleatist

Re: Suggestions for a 3-day walk in the Highlands

Postby Driftwood » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:01 pm

It would be adding a ferry trip at the start and end, but you could consider the Arran Coastal Way.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/arran/arran-coastal-way.shtml

I've only had one stay on the island, and spent more of that in the hills than around the coast, but it's a stunning place, and ticks most of your requirements. Even getting there, and the ferry from Ardrossan, may well be possible within 3 hours from Glasgow Prestwick airport, depending how the flight and ferry times line up. There are train stations close to the airport and ferry terminal, so that may be an alternative to a hire car - as foot passengers have it quicker and easier for the ferry arrangements.

There's also a bus service around the island, which would make it easier to close the loop on whichever stages you chose. And Lochranza, one stage start/end point, has the Arran Distillery :thumbup:
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby jazzmozz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:07 pm

Thanks Driftwood for your suggestion. I will dive into it but at first glance it looks promising!
jazzmozz
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:29 pm

Or you could add a ferry to Islay which is absolutely full of whisky distilleries . You could do malky_c's trip and stay in the bothy overnight

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70800

and then add the three distilleries walk

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/islay-jura/three-distilleries.shtml

The only problem is getting from the end of one to the beginning of the other, but there are taxis on Islay and the mileage is low.

Catch the other ferry back
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby jazzmozz » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:24 am

Sgurr wrote:Or you could add a ferry to Islay which is absolutely full of whisky distilleries . You could do malky_c's trip and stay in the bothy overnight

Thanks Sgurr, but this is not the optimal trip for us as bothies normally aren't catered and we have to add a ferry (which may become problematic if our flight is delayed). The presence of distilleries is nice and all but does not outweigh the practical problems. So I will continue searching. But thanks anyway for your input.
jazzmozz
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Newtonmore to Grantown via the East Highland Way / Speyside Way might work, with overnights in Kincraig and Aviemore. Possible to get the train to Newtonmore.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sgurr » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:09 pm

You could do the last three legs of the West Highland Way backwards

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/west-highland-way.shtml
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Plavuizen » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:59 pm

Whatyou could do is what I did two years ago:
Day 1 arrive at Glasgow airport and train to Taynuilt.
Day 2 walk to Bridge of Orchy via Glen Kinglass, 44 km,
Day 3 bus to Kingshouse and walk via Rannoch Station to Corrour Station, 40km (you can skip the second halve by taking the train), train to Spean Bridge.
Day 4 walk from Spean Bridge back to Corrour (30km) and train back to Glasgow.
Day 5 fly back home.

Nice surroundings, and whiskey available in the hotels and no need to hire a car, but remember: long distances to walk!
Plavuizen
Walker

Munros:4   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion