walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Mont Blanc - Aug/Sept 2019

Mont Blanc - Aug/Sept 2019

Postby simcc » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi all,

I’m looking for potential partner(s) in crime to tackle Mont Blanc later this year!

My current plan is to head out probably late August or early September (most likely the last week of Aug) for about 7 days. Although MB is the main target, there is no telling how the weather will work out and in the days before an attempt, there will be plenty of other peaks to summit as part of the acclimatization. Therefore, if the weather bums out for the whole week, there will still be good hiking to be had. I’m looking at the Gouter and/or Trois Monts routes. I’m also looking to keep costs down, e.g. using cheap accommodation in Chamonix etc.

Having previously had altitude sickness (not because I’m prone to it, but because I was stupid), I do plan to take acclimatization seriously though, as it is not fun at all and I do plan to enjoy the trip ;).

I am a 35-yo male and hold my Mountain Leader award and do some part-time ML work. I also have Scottish winter experience, but haven’t ventured out in the Alps at altitude before. I don’t plan to use a guide. The main reason for me to would be for the typical ‘Alpine’ stuff, e.g. crevasses etc. Therefore, I might take a day to do some crevasse-rescue practice. We’ll see.

Anyway, if you’re interested in joining, drop me a PM! As long as you at the very least have some winter UK experience and are suitably fit, we can probably make it work.

Simeon
simcc
Munro compleatist

Munros:118   Corbetts:2

Re: Mont Blanc - Aug/Sept 2019

Postby cozi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:47 pm

I'm heading to the Alps this summer, but as yet have no nailed on partner.
I'm a bit older than you and a girl, so I don't know if that puts you off?
I've done a few 4000m peaks in the Alps- me being the leader. Also done all my Munros(mostly in winter), and am on Corbetts now.
I've climbed for 12 years, leading up to E2, though havent done much in the last few years.
If you can't find anyone else, give me a message.
Caroline
PS I live in Inverness
cozi
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:171
Fionas:18   Donalds:7

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:33 am

Other than guides, the biggest cost of the gouter route is staying in the refuge before the summit attempt. If you're feeling hardy enough there are cheaper options. This was taken on the route above the old refugee a few years ago.

Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby simcc » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:Other than guides, the biggest cost of the gouter route is staying in the refuge before the summit attempt.

I wasnt thinking of the Gouter, but Cosmiques :wink:

@cozi: I'll PM you
simcc
Munro compleatist

Munros:118   Corbetts:2

Postby orion » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:31 am

simcc wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:Other than guides, the biggest cost of the gouter route is staying in the refuge before the summit attempt.

I wasnt thinking of the Gouter, but Cosmiques :wink:

@cozi: I'll PM you

Keep a wary eye out for the seracs on the final descent under Tacul if heading back to the Cosmiques.A huge collapse there killed the two guys below us.
orion

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs