walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arenigs: Moel Darren and Foel Goch

Arenigs: Moel Darren and Foel Goch

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:46 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Foel Goch (Arenigs)

Date walked: 26/02/2019

Time taken: 3

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 380m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The walk started near the junctions of two lanes with the minor road that leaves the A494 north west at Cefn-ddwysarn. There's enough room for two or three cars to park sensibly fairly near to the lane to Pentre-tai-yn-y-cwm. It is marked by a broken slate bearing the word "Pentre".
The walk up the lane beside the stream is very pleasant and the woodland birds were abundant (Goldcrest, Nuthatch, a Woodcock). The path has been re-routed just before the farm, where you turn right up into a field. It is clearly marked and there is no need to go through the farm. The track to be taken is reached on the left over a stile just above and beyond a ruined cottage. Initially, the walk up the track is very pleasant and the woodland birds are quickly replaced by moorland birds (Stonechat, Raven, Buzzard, Skylarks and Meadow Pipits).
01 IMG_2783 The Cottage compressed.jpg
The ruined cottage by the farm

02 IMG_2784 The Lane compressed.jpg
Near the start of the lane as it starts to gain height

As the track started to get significantly wetter, I encountered a gate that was firmly secured, whilst a clear track started to wend its way up the hillside towards Moel Darren. On the spur of the moment I decided to follow this track to Moel Darren's summit and approach Foel Goch by way of the ridge that links the two. The path soon petered out, but the walking was pretty easy, dry, tussocky grass (although the hillside will have some bracken on it later in the year) and there were ample sheep tracks to ease the way still further.
IMG_2782 Moel Darren compressed.jpg
Moel Darren

The views are extensive from both summits and the Carneddeau, Glyders and Tryfan (it's East Face buttresses clearly catching the sun), Snowdon, Moelwyns, Arans, Arrenigs and Berwyns could all be picked out. Superb!
I descended via the pass, marked with a boundary stone, however the track was much wetter and far less distinct than I'd expected. Frankly, I was glad I'd not trudged up it both ways.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_2790 Foel Goch summit compressed.jpg
The summit cairn, trig point and boundary stone.

The route that I took was about 4.5 miles/7.5 Kms, and involved about 1250'/380m of ascent/descent. It took me just under three hours, but then I'm nearly 70 and wasn't in a hurry. It made for a very pleasant outing on a phenomenal February day, with clear skies, sunshine, great views and the temperature almost reaching 20 C.
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland