walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Dearg via Agag's Groove and Crowberry Tower

Stob Dearg via Agag's Groove and Crowberry Tower

Postby dav2930 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:49 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 27/02/2019

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 6.1 km

Ascent: 788m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

'Midwinter spring is its own season', wrote T.S. Eliot in Little Gidding. As we walked out of the Lost Valley on Tuesday 26th February, it seemed that this strange season of Eliot's poetic imagination was literally upon us. The warm stillness of the early evening, caught between the shadowed mountainsides and pierced by occasional birdsong, gave a sense of being suspended outside the normal course of time. In this rarefied atmosphere, a cunning plan for the next day began to form in my more prosaic mind :shifty: . It seemed an outrageous idea, given the time of year, but this was not your usual February. From a climbing point of view, the downside of the unseasonably warm and dry conditions was the absence of suitable snow. The upside, however, was that summer rock climbing became a distinct possibility. And what better classic climb in the area to choose than Agag's Groove on the Rannoch Wall of the Buachaille? Quick-drying and catching the sun for most of the day, it was quite likely to be in condition.

All that was needed was to break the suggestion to Karl. Fortunately it wasn't long before he broached the subject of what to do next day, which provided my opportunity. I suggested we treat the climb as a mountaineering route, wearing big boots and rucksacks, so we could continue up the Crowberry Ridge to the summit of Stob Dearg. Never one to shirk a challenge, Karl warmed to the idea after I assured him it was no more than VDiff and that I'd brought all the climbing gear. So it was settled - provided the weather held its promise, of course.

The next morning was as clear and sunny as one could wish, if a little nippy. No need for an especially early start, we arrived at the Altnafeadh car park just before 9am and were off down the Lagangarbh track just after. There were still a lot of puddles along the path, edged with a little thin ice in places, but it was a glorious, if rather hazy, morning. :)

We took the left branch at the bifurcation and followed the rising traverse around the north-eastern flank of Stob Dearg. Eventually we reached the waterslide - a slabby outcrop with a spring flowing over the top of it, useful not only as a source of water but even more so as a landmark on the route to the start of Curved Ridge.

DSC04138.JPG
View towards Ben Nevis from the waterslide

DSC04139.JPG
The waterslide

Just the other side of the waterslide the route goes straight up the steep, heathery hillside, when the Curved Ridge and Rannoch Wall come into view high above.

DSC04140.JPG
Central Buttress (left), Curved Ridge, Rannoch Wall (centre) and North Buttress (right)

The path is clear enough to follow up the stones and scree. There was a lot of water running down, draining from the crags. Above us we noticed two parties of scramblers, helmeted and roped together, at the foot of Curved Ridge. We passed the first group who were assembled on a ledge to our left, and caught up with the second group who had started the scramble proper, traversing right across the first steep section, under instruction from their guide.

DSC04141.JPG
Scramblers on the first steep section of Curved Ridge

Fortunately it was easy enough to bypass the group by a line just below. More scramblers in guided groups were encountered further up the ridge. We never used to see this sort of thing back in the day; seems to be the fashion nowadays.

DSC04142.JPG
More scramblers further up Curved Ridge

DSC04143.JPG
Crowberry Ridge topped by the tower on the right.

At the steep section another party were being belayed from above by their guide. I don't like scrambling over other people's ropes, but we couldn't afford to be held up for too long, so we carefully climbed through. The guide at the top was very good about it, actually, and we exchanged comments about the remarkable weather.

DSC04144.JPG
Looking down the steep section of CR

The Rannoch wall was looming closer and the line of Agag's Groove was prominent. We noticed some other climbers around the start of it.

DSC04146.JPG
Agag's Groove beckons above

It was time to quit Curved Ridge and cross Easy Gully to reach the foot of the climb. When we got there a team of climbers were traversing into Agag's from the first platform on Crowberry Ridge, which seemed odd. I called up to ask which climb they were doing. They explained that they'd tried to go up the corner of Dingle (HVS), but it was wet, so they were settling for Agag's. In the meantime the second man had dropped his sticht plate (belay device), which, luckily for him, was retrieved by another team who'd come up behind us. Clearly I was far from alone in conceiving the ridiculous idea of climbing Agag's in February! :( :lol:

DSC04147.JPG
Looking up the first pitch of Agag's, which follows the groove line on the right

We had our rope uncoiled and were soon tied on and set to go. The team behind us still had their sticky rock shoes to put on (cheating, surely! :lol: ), so they handed the sticht plate to me to take up to the first stance, where its owner was by now ensconced. So off I went up the slim groove of the first pitch. The holds were good and so was the protection, though I had to be sparing with the latter as I only had a pared down rack. I was soon out of the shade and into the sunshine, which warmed the rock nicely. My Scarpa Charmoz boots worked a treat on the positive edges. After 30 metres I reached the first stance and handed the sticht plate to the guy who'd dropped it. He was very grateful, and set off up the second pitch, belayed by his leader on the second stance. Meantime I set up the belay and called down for Karl to climb up.

Tied to a big block, I couldn't see Karl or get a view of the pitch below, so I didn't take a photo. When Karl arrived at the stance he tied himself to the block and I set off up the second pitch, a straightforward ramp leading in 25 metres to another block belay. This had an old bit of rope tied round it and was occupied by a couple from Glasgow who were re-anchoring their abseil ropes on their descent from the top of January Jigsaw, which they'd just completed.

Next up was pitch 3, the crux. From the top of the block it followed the continuing ramp-line up to an exposed ledge below a steep crack in a blunt arete. Having done the climb before I knew this was the crux, but since my previous ascent was in 1983, my memory of it was somewhat hazy, to say the least. I'd forgotten just how steep the crack is, and it felt quite awkward in big boots. An obvious, big hold turned out to be loose, so alternative holds had to be used. Above this the angle eased off a bit and it was easier going up to the belay. From here I could see a bit down the pitch, if I leaned out, so I took a photo of Karl coming up.

DSC04148.JPG
Karl coming up the third pitch

The final pitch remained, giving 20 metres of enjoyable climbing, in a very exposed position, to big ledges on the Crowberry Ridge.

DSC04150.JPG
Near the top of the final pitch

Karl soon joined me and we both agreed what a superb climb it was. It had been every bit as good as I'd (hazily) remembered it. As we coiled the rope, Karl told me that the leader of the team below us had been struggling on the third pitch. Looking down, there was no sign of him, though we couldn't see anything of the third pitch. We were pretty sure he'd get up ok - he was wearing sticky rock shoes after all!

We scrambled up the Crowberry Ridge, which was easy for the most part, except for a short section which traversed out on the left side in a very exposed position and went up a steep little crack above (with a piton in it). We wondered if we'd gone the right way, but were soon on easier ground again. The tower above looked impressive, but gave easy scrambling to its top.

DSC04151.JPG
On top of Crowberry Tower, looking down into the gap

DSC04152.JPG
Kingshouse from Crowberry Tower

To get down from the tower into the gap on the other side, we retraced our steps for maybe a hundred feet to a ledge leading round to the right. A steep step of about 20 ft. then dropped down to the gap. I went down first to check it out; the trickiest bit was the start, after which it was easy. Karl tried the start but didn't like it, so I climbed back up and set up a belay so Karl could climb down safely on the end of the rope. Once we were both in the gap, all that remained was an easy scramble up the other side to the summit area of Stob Dearg.

DSC04156.JPG
Looking down Crowberry Gully

DSC04154.JPG
Across Glen Etive from the gap

DSC04158.JPG
Looking back to the Crowberry Tower

The views, though hazy, were magnificent.

DSC04160.JPG
View north from north cairn of Stob Dearg

DSC04161.JPG
Zoom to Ben Nevis

DSC04162.JPG
Summit of Stob Dearg from north cairn

DSC04163.JPG
Bidean nam Bian and co.

Lunch was long overdue, so we found a sheltered ledge overlooking Glen Etive and enjoyed our sandwiches and Eccles cakes in a leisurely and reflective fashion encouraged by the benign conditions.

DSC04164.JPG
Stob na Doire

It occurred to us that we still hadn't seen anything of the team that followed us up Agag's Groove. We assumed they must have gone back down the Curved Ridge.

Eventually, and reluctantly, we decided we'd better make our way down. At the top of the path into Coire na Tulaich was a small bank of snow. Once down this a very well-made path took us down the corrie more painlessly than anticipated.

DSC04165.JPG
Descent into Coire na Tulaich

Some distance down we looked back and noticed three people at the top of the corrie, making fast progress down. It didn't occur to us that this was the team who'd been below us on Agag's, but eventually they caught us up and we recognised each other. The leader said he'd had a hard time on the crux crack and had been worried by the loose hold. We laughed about it and all agreed what a great climb it had been. They'd obviously got up ok and were in good spirits, which was a relief. They sped off ahead of us, maybe keen to get to the pub?! :lol:

And we followed after them at our slower pace, into the soft haze of the winter-spring sundown. :D

DSC04166.JPG
Lagangarbh

Climb: Agag's Groove, 100m, VDiff
First ascent: J.F. Hamilton, A. Anderson, A.C.D. Small, August 1936

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Stob Dearg via Agag's Groove and Crowberry Tower

Postby gaffr » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Was a classic route away back and still a classic climb today and with a fine outlook out across the Moor. I have always found enjoyment on the wall and some scary times too. A great day out for you.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Bruno » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:35 pm

What a brilliant report. :clap: :clap: :clap: This is up there with the best. Well done. Should be in for trip of the month.
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:01 pm

Nice
Is Agag's really V diff or Scottish Vdiff -- ie about MVS?
I once did The Chasm (also V diff except for Converging walls pitch - severe). Even Classic Rock said "Expect VS climbing" :lol: There is a huge boulder jammed in Converging walls now which (a) provides a runner - or even stance just below the crux and (b) reduces the sense of exposure dramatically. Given that it's normally damp, and that a fall would likely be fatal I would have rated it close to HVS before. I did it with a guide from Fort William - Bill somebody - ex army - really nice guy but now retired: As he was leading the piano pitch he called down "It's bald as a badger's arse up here" - never forgotten it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Even the easiest exit was a mass of moss and I had to grab the peg as I traversed round the awkward corner. Great classic mountain route though :D
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Colin1951 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:34 pm

Loved the story! What a great route, my favourite way up the Buchaille. But what crowds you had! You’d have had a quieter day at a Patrick Thistle game.
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby dav2930 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:27 pm

gaffr wrote:Was a classic route away back and still a classic climb today and with a fine outlook out across the Moor. I have always found enjoyment on the wall and some scary times too. A great day out for you.

Thanks gffr. It was indeed a great day out, and a nice early start to the rock climbing season (though it's back to winter again now, it seems!). Karl remarked what a fine outlook it was from the climb. :)

Bruno wrote:What a brilliant report. :clap: :clap: :clap: This is up there with the best. Well done. Should be in for trip of the month.

Thanks very much Bruno! :thumbup:

past my sell by date wrote:Nice
Is Agag's really V diff or Scottish Vdiff -- ie about MVS?
I once did The Chasm (also V diff except for Converging walls pitch - severe). Even Classic Rock said "Expect VS climbing" :lol: There is a huge boulder jammed in Converging walls now which (a) provides a runner - or even stance just below the crux and (b) reduces the sense of exposure dramatically. Given that it's normally damp, and that a fall would likely be fatal I would have rated it close to HVS before. I did it with a guide from Fort William - Bill somebody - ex army - really nice guy but now retired: As he was leading the piano pitch he called down "It's bald as a badger's arse up here" - never forgotten it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Even the easiest exit was a mass of moss and I had to grab the peg as I traversed round the awkward corner. Great classic mountain route though :D

A good question PMSBD! :lol: I know what you mean about Scottish VDiff, but I think VDiff is about right for Agag's. The crux crack felt a bit steep and awkward in mountain boots, but that's to be expected really, and the protection is good. I thought Steeple Buttress in Ennerdale was harder, and that was wearing sticky rock shoes!

I've never done The Chasm and I must admit the thought of climbing up a watercourse has never really appealed! The latest SMC guide gives it VS for the last pitch ('Devil's Cauldron'), so they've finally come clean about the grade! :lol: :)

Colin1951 wrote:Loved the story! What a great route, my favourite way up the Buchaille. But what crowds you had! You’d have had a quieter day at a Patrick Thistle game.

Thanks Colin, glad you liked the story! :) My favourite way up the Buachaille too. Yeah, the crowds were a bit frustrating. And there was me thinking we'd be the only ones up there! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:13 pm

[quote="past my sell by date"

I've never done The Chasm and I must admit the thought of climbing up a watercourse has never really appealed! The latest SMC guide gives it VS for the last pitch ('Devil's Cauldron'), so they've finally come clean about the grade! :lol: :)

You climb mainly one side or other of the watercourse . I tried it first on a wet October day and got drenched when I pulled a chunk of junk off and swung into a waterfall :lol: :lol: -( it was a pitch we should have bi-passed)There is another pitch not in Classic Rock where a boulder the size of a caravan has come down and lodged :shock: :shock: :shock: - creating quite a tough pitch up the LHS . As a mountaineering adventure I would still recommend it - But I've never done Clachaig Gully - I think it's much nastier :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:48 pm

A great report! and your detail of the route is really interesting and informative.

On coming down Crowberry Tower did you happen to notice the loose overhanging block that was mentioned on a number of forums 2017/ 2018. We were wondering if it is still there or if it has fallen. This is a report Gman did on it.https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73898
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:52 am

A really great read, with excellent illustrative pics. I imagine there was more than one "intersection of the timeless moment" on the way up. :D - and I imagine also that the climb compensated in some measure for the less than wholly perfect earlier part of the week.

Notwithstanding the slight shock when reading of the loose hold, at the end of the report I thought, "that's one to look more closely at..." Then I read the comments, and in particular, looked at Riverman's pics :shock: . Boy, that rock looks crumbly on his pics. Is it as bad as it looks???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby goingforawii » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:17 am

Cracking report :clap: Would make anybody want to take up rock climbing!
goingforawii

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Donalds:7
Hewitts:184
Wainwrights:214   Islands:47

Postby dav2930 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:08 pm

past my sell by date wrote: As a mountaineering adventure I would still recommend it [The Chasm] - But I've never done Clachaig Gully - I think it's much nastier :lol:

I've never done Clachaig Gully either. I'm not a big fan of grotty, dank gullies; that's why I never took up caving :lol:
The Chasm does sound worth a look, though - in a drought! :lol:

Cairngorm creeper wrote:A great report! and your detail of the route is really interesting and informative.

On coming down Crowberry Tower did you happen to notice the loose overhanging block that was mentioned on a number of forums 2017/ 2018. We were wondering if it is still there or if it has fallen. This is a report Gman did on <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">it.https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73898</span>

Thanks CC. :) I have a feeling the overhanging block you refer to must have fallen, as it looks quite prominent in Gman's photo and I don't remember anything as prominent as that at that point - it would have been just over our heads. I also remember that the rock around there was quite flakey and loose, which would indicate that something might have fallen away. I went right back around the corner to find a decent, sound crack for a belay for Karl. Might also explain why some of the holds at the start of the descent below were loose. Must admit I hadn't heard anything about this! :shock:

Alteknacker wrote:A really great read, with excellent illustrative pics. I imagine there was more than one "intersection of the timeless moment" on the way up. :D - and I imagine also that the climb compensated in some measure for the less than wholly perfect earlier part of the week.

Notwithstanding the slight shock when reading of the loose hold, at the end of the report I thought, "that's one to look more closely at..." Then I read the comments, and in particular, looked at Riverman's pics :shock: . Boy, that rock looks crumbly on his pics. Is it as bad as it looks???

Thank you AK, you're very kind. :) I see you're familiar with the poem - good man! :wink:
The rock on Agag's, indeed on the Rannoch Wall as a whole, is generally absolutely excellent - it doesn't get much better. That loose hold on pitch 3 was about the only loose hold I can remember on the entire climb - just sod's law that it was right at the crux! There's an area of friable rock on the descent from Crowberry Tower, though. :?

goingforawii wrote:Cracking report :clap: Would make anybody want to take up rock climbing!

Many thanks GFW. I can't imagine anyone who sees the Rannoch Wall not wanting to climb it! :)
dav2930
Ambler

Postby prog99 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:27 pm

That loose hold on pitch 3 was about the only loose hold I can remember on the entire climb - just sod's law that it was right at the crux!

I think its been loose for ages! Time will tell how long it's got.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:11 pm

When I first wanted to try the Chasm I had thoughts of Moss Ghyll - Collies Step etc. big boots chockstones you clamber over but It's not like that at all. I guess it's 50 ft wide at the bottom - and as I said there's one chockstone the size of a caravan. Dry weather I agree would be best - and rockboots - though if you remember Lockwoods Chimney was always recommended for an overweight party - in the rain :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby gaffr » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:28 pm

These visits to the dark recesses of the 'elephants hindquarters' are a fair distance from the sunny open aspects to be found on the warm south facing walls. :) When we first got to the northern hills we found the recesses an attraction...maybe it was to hide away inside these places away from the accomplished cragsmen. After the two aforementioned in Glencoe and another on the big hill of Ardgour…..the view out across the sea loch after the Clachaig one was very fine. What you did get was a strenuous day out with plenty of ascent on rock.
Very soon we got out onto the more open crags. A major concern with the 'dark recesses' was that almost every pitch was a first pitch with all the problems that presents....no 'wires' to slip into the cracks for protection but that also was a problem on the open faces too...all we had were a few loops either to put over a spike or to thread behind a chock-stone or sometimes a restriction in a crack for protection but after the initial pitch you generally did not collide with the ground after a tumble.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby jmarkb » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Nice report! :thumbup:

It's probably just me, but I always seem to find Glencoe routes hard for the grade (e.g. compared to Glen Nevis). I think it's the rather flat holds and sometimes spaced gear that makes them feel just a bit insecure.

I went through a phase of climbing wet gullies and chimneys in my youth (mostly in the Lakes). I was cured of this affliction by an attempt on Clachaig Gully: we got past the main pitches but were tired, cold and scared and made a very sketchy escape out to the right. I would not go anywhere near The Chasm these days!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland