walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Trail Running

Trail Running

Postby barrybarrywatson » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:51 am

My wife is doing the 10k Glencoe trail run this year and I was looking for some advice from experienced trail runners, especially those who have competed in this event. My main query would be, what is the best terrain to train on? My wife is a good runner and competed in half marathons, but my concern is her ability to run over uneven surfaces like a boulder field. I’m assuming there may be boulder like terrain in this event. Any general advise for a distance runner doing this event for the first time would be most welcome. Thanks
barrybarrywatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:34   Corbetts:1

Re: Trail Running

Postby davekeiller » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:44 pm

I'm not a trail runner, but commonsense would suggest that the best terrain to train on would be terrain that's similar to what she'll be racing on.
If you're concerned about running across boulder fields. then find some boulder fields to run across and practice until competent.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:19 pm

barrybarrywatson wrote:My wife is doing the 10k Glencoe trail run this year and I was looking for some advice from experienced trail runners, especially those who have competed in this event. My main query would be, what is the best terrain to train on? My wife is a good runner and competed in half marathons, but my concern is her ability to run over uneven surfaces like a boulder field. I’m assuming there may be boulder like terrain in this event. Any general advise for a distance runner doing this event for the first time would be most welcome. Thanks

Very easy to answer, get your wife to have a recce on the route 3/4 times, always train on or as close to the terrain you want to run on
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rodderss » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:23 pm

My wife did the glencoe marathon a few years back.pretty sure it will follow part of that route.
No boulder fields just very stony uneven paths and possibly a bit of bog depending on the weather.Easy to turn an ankle on if not careful.

The boggy section was within the first mile or so and up to just below knees but it had been a very wet spell leading up to it.Not what you need with 25 miles still to go.haha

Just get her to practice on some hills local to you that should have similar terrain, that's what my wife did.Things like the ryvoan pass and the Gordon way she also did.
rodderss

Munros:47   Corbetts:15
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:29   
Islands:2

Postby NickyRannoch » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:24 pm

If it is the same route as last year it's basically a cross country run. No boulder fields and most of it on the WHW.

Pretty steep start though.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby jmarkb » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:26 am

jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby barrybarrywatson » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Thanks for the info. Ideally we will try and get a run round the route, but living far away it might not be possible.
barrybarrywatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:34   Corbetts:1

Postby Magoo82 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:57 pm

jmarkb wrote:The route is available at https://trailevents.co/events/glencoe-scottish-highlands/

Ok, now I'm confused :lol:

I did the Glencoe Marathon last year and am doing it again this year. But the one I did was in September and followed a different route to the one in your link. Are there two Glencoe Marathon gatherings? And if so, maybe the OP can confirm which 10k we're talking about...?
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Postby jmarkb » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Magoo82 wrote:I did the Glencoe Marathon last year and am doing it again this year. But the one I did was in September and followed a different route to the one in your link. Are there two Glencoe Marathon gatherings? And if so, maybe the OP can confirm which 10k we're talking about...?

The Glencoe Marathon in September ( http://glencoemarathon.co.uk/ ) indeed a different event, which also features a half but not a 10k.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:38 pm

barrybarrywatson wrote:Thanks for the info. Ideally we will try and get a run round the route, but living far away it might not be possible.
definitely try get a few practice runs in on the route before the day If possible. Also, depending on how fit your missus is, sometimes its easier to walk up the steeps and run down the deeps, although I've seen fell runners who race up steeps that I can barely walk up.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Eskimo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi,

I'm a keen mountain runner, I've probably ran more Munros than I have walked now. There is certainly a different dynamic from running on easy trails or roads to running mountainous terrain. Like someone else said, the very best training is that performed on similar terrain. On terrain found in Glencoe, accept you will have to power walk a lot of the serious climbs but aim to run the easier gradients, flats and downhills.

To confirm, the 10K you mention is different from the even held in September. I'm not 100% sure on this but I think the 10K route is on fairly well tracked areas of Glencoe so as long as she can replicate this close to home, I'm sure she will be fine. I'll be doing either the half or full, undecided yet so good luck to all the fellow runners!

Drop me a PM if you want specific advice or to chat further.
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion