walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Are leaking boots irreparable?

Re: Are leaking boots irreparable?

Postby jacob » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:34 pm

rockhopper wrote:Interesting. Neither pair of my Scarpa SL M3 boots and Scarpa SL Activ boots has a goretex lining - a quick wash with water after each use, let them dry naturally then apply Scarpa HS12 silicone based cream. Touch wood, they've been waterproof, no leaks and no goretex - cheers :)

True what you say, but Scarpa do use a cocona fabric that is (said to be) waterproof. So even your SL boots are not solely relying on leather and wax.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby derrickfarnell » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:17 pm

I bought leather Meindl boots with a Gore-Tex lining. I also bought some Scarpa HS12 cream - should I first use this before or after my first use of the boots?
derrickfarnell
Munro compleatist

Postby Sack the Juggler » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:00 pm

derrickfarnell wrote:I bought leather Meindl boots with a Gore-Tex lining. I also bought some Scarpa HS12 cream - should I first use this before or after my first use of the boots?

Great choice of boot, I love meindl boots, although to be honest, I don't wax mine, but maybe I should? I'm sure the cream will help with the waterproofing, but I don't know if it affects the breathability of the boot? As someone who doesn't take care of his boots (other than to wash the muck off occasionally) I'm probably not qualified to answer the to cream or not to cream question.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby derrickfarnell » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:32 pm

I already love them, and I've only worn them around my flat. :)

From what the assistant told me, it seems that you definitely should apply some kind of treatment regularly, given that leather is an organic material. He recommended applying the cream once a month, but washing the boot inside and out after every trip.
derrickfarnell
Munro compleatist

Postby davekeiller » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:56 pm

It's worth investigating to find out if the boots are, in fact, leaking or whether dirt is clogging the membrane and causing you to get wet from sweat (or water is being funneled in from above at the ankle). If that's the case then cleaning (inside and out) and applying a suitable waterproofing product will likely resolve the issue. Try filling the boots with water and leaving them overnight - if they're still full in the morning then they aren't leaking.

With leather boots, the leather is waterproof but only up to a point, and water will eventually soak through. Membranes provide an impermeable barrier to prevent this happening, although some suspect that this also allows the manufacturers to use cheaper leather. It's generally regarded as being important to use wax on leather boots as this helps to replace the oils in the leather which stops it drying out and cracking and also maintains water repellency. Nikwax and Granger's claim that their products are formulated such that it's no longer possible to "overwax" boots and damage the leather, although this was possible in the past when using old fashioned dubbin. I wouldn't bother applying anything prior to first use of the boots, as they'll have been treated as part of the manufacturing process, and the point of applying something is to restore this after exposure to the elements.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby derrickfarnell » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:52 pm

Re my old boots, the assistant also raised the possibilities that you do, and also suggested filling the boots with water - which I did, and both boots started leaking. But they're of course still good for dry days.

Thanks for the info and advice re treatments. :)
derrickfarnell
Munro compleatist

Postby regedmunds » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:49 pm

During the last 10 years of hiking I've experienceed the problem of leaking boots. I've always taken the easy way out and bought new ones. I started with full leather and have gone through three pairs, two wore out and the third leaked after 2 years. Took me by surprise when they leaked but I now wonder if it was because of the very hot weather we had in 2018? I have my own way of testing for leaks, I just fill them up with warm water and leave them on top of our wheely bin. My last leather boots, after an hour leaked in different paces all along the sole line from both boots. Each leak looked like it had been pricked with a needle.

I've also bought three pairs of 'fabric GTX' type boots. Salomon Quest 4D, they leaked after about 10 months use, Keen Targee 2, they leaked after a months use and a cheap pair from Decathlon, they just leaked. The Decathlon ones however dried quickly so were easier to live with. The one redeeming feature of all of these boots were that they were supremely comfortable.
regedmunds

Postby derrickfarnell » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:20 pm

My last boots, which cost £140, lasted three years, but it of course depends on the quality of the boot, how well you clean them, and the kind of terrain you're using them on.
derrickfarnell
Munro compleatist

Postby davekeiller » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:55 pm

If the boots leak in a line where the sole meets the upper, and each leak is a point like having been pricked with a needle, there's a fair chance that the join between sole and upper has failed. It's possible to get the boots re-soled, which may be preferable to getting completely new boots.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby regedmunds » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:41 pm

My problem is that once boots let me down I loose all confidence in them. I then buy new ones.
regedmunds

Postby Shap fell lakelander » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:18 pm

I have used "thompsons water seal" or similar sylicone products. B&Q also do something similar. On my various boots for the last 30 years. Never mind all your expensive branded spray ons. I bought a gallon of B&Qs own and it lasted that long that the tin rusted away. Brush it onto your boots regularly and it maintains the water repelancy. I have a pair of scarpa nubuck boots that ive had for 23 years and they are still going strong. And believe me they have covered some miles and had some rough use. I had them resoled over 3 years ago at lancashire sport repairs. And theyve only leaked once , during some very extreme use. Try the stuff you wont regret it.
Shap fell lakelander
Walker

Postby Peltast » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:46 am

What is the issue with being waterproof?

Eventually liners will fail but leather boots will eventually get wet too. However, isn’t the goat to be comfortable and safe. Feet get hot and sweaty hiking. Feet can get cold if lots of cold-water getting in. So, I’d suggest the solution is aiming to be comfortable making sure you have the right socks.

Hot feet will get damp with sweat especially if footwear is not breathable enough and liners limit this.

I don’t feel great having to buy new shoes / boots with failing liners over and over where another solution is available. Better for both pocket and the planet too…
Peltast
Scrambler

Postby WildAboutWalking » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:11 pm

I have had the best results using Altberg Ledergris on leather boots - it has some oil content as well as wax, and in my experience this soaks into the leather, in a way that the likes of Nikwax and Grangers GWax doesn't. The oil content also helps to keep the leather supple where it creases above the toes.

I don't have much faith in so called waterproof membranes - they never seem to last long for me. Waxed leather may not be perfect, but it is a good first line of defence.
WildAboutWalking
Mountain Walker

Postby MRG1 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:00 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned them and they're not a fix exactly; waterproof socks.
Not ideal, especially in warm weather, but they're cheaper than new boots and far less hassle than any sort of repair.
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:24   

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:58 am

MRG1 wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned them and they're not a fix exactly; waterproof socks.
Not ideal, especially in warm weather, but they're cheaper than new boots and far less hassle than any sort of repair.

Seconded - various brands available now, most quite effective. Resorting to waterproof socks has kept a couple of pairs of my boots serviceable long after they would otherwise have been consigned to the bin.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk