walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Norman's Law.. and a LOT of cow pats!!

Norman's Law.. and a LOT of cow pats!!

Postby indiarobinson » Sat May 28, 2016 8:03 pm

Route description: Norman's Law, from Luthrie

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Norman's Law

Date walked: 28/05/2016

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 8.75 km

Ascent: 280m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So today I had planned to climb Norman's Law and Cairnie Hill on the same day, but we set off later than expected so only had enough time for one! I had never been to Luthrie before today, so it was nice to see such a beautiful village :)

Parking in the village hall car park, we took off at 12:30 following a signpost out of the village beside a farm where there were some very friendly cows. At the end of the road we turned right climbing slowly upwards towards Carphin Farm (being swarmed by annoying little black flies at the same time).

Following the path we heard woodpeckers, sky larks and buzzards which was lovely! When Norman's Law appears in front of you, be aware not to follow the path you're on as it will just take you to a lot of gorse! (We made that mistake and added an extra 15 minutes onto our time!) Head right onto a just visible path that takes you round the base of a rocky mount, and as simple as that you've done it! The path leads you up to the summit quite easily, well, I say easily! :lol: I have to say the hardest part of this hill was at the very top where it suddenly gets quite steep. Manageable though!

Even though it was overcast, we could still see Dundee and the two Tay bridges from the top, and right along the western end of the Tay to Newburgh and Perth. The Angus Glens and the start of the Cairngorms are also visible!

All in all, a very enjoyable hill and I will be attempting Cairnie Hill tomorrow! :clap: :D

P.S. I tried to post pictures but I couldn't figure out how to get them to show on the report from Flickr, even after linking them in they didn't show, so I will have to figure that out for my next report!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

indiarobinson
Munro compleatist

Munros:3   
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:4

Re: Norman's Law.. and a LOT of cow pats!!

Postby Sgurr » Sat May 28, 2016 9:23 pm

On a good day, you get a great view from this hill. Yours is a much better way to do it than my smash and grab raid from the side (done to cut down walking time). Enjoy Cairnie Hill when you get to it. We're so lucky in Fife with all these small hills nearby
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62760
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby DBL679V » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:32 pm

Last time I did the walk with my wife she was 10 months pregnant. Not a big walk but worth the effort, I managed to photograph my house from the top looking towards Lochmalony, OK needed a magnifying glass to see on the pictures but I do get excellent views of the hill from my Living Room so wanted to see what my house looked like from the top of a hill..

SR
DBL679V
Mountaineer

Munros:8   

Postby prog99 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:12 pm

DBL679V wrote:Last time I did the walk with my wife she was 10 months pregnant.

Thats either a typo or a medical miracle?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland