walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

More catching up in Wasdale.

More catching up in Wasdale.

Postby martin.h » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:43 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Illgill Head, Scafell, Slight Side, Whin Rigg

Hewitts included on this walk: Scafell

Date walked: 23/03/2019

Time taken: 8

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1370m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This weekend was one of those spur of the moment decisions we make when we discover we have a bit of money left over after the bills have been paid, Wasdale still needed a bit of attention, so it was a couple of nights in the Whitehaven Premier Inn to see if we could polish off some of the remainders.

The list of catch ups had shortened to four plus a new one for both of us, these were, Whinn Rigg, Illgill Head, Scafell and Lingmell for the catch ups and Slight Side a new one for the both of us.
The plan for Saturday was Whinn Rigg, Illgill Head, Scafell and Slight Side with Lingmell on Sunday to satisfy our needs.

This is how we faired.

Saturday's forecast was reasonable so we were hoping we'd get the big one out of the way, Sunday was forecast fair but with strong winds on the mountains and rain late a.m.

Saturday dawned as forecast so we set off for Wasdale in good time.
We parked up in the walkers car park near Cinderdale Bridge, Nether Wasdale, made ready and set off for Easthwaite Farm and the steep pull up Greathall Gill. It's a pleasant walk to the farm on a good track, the perfect leg warmer, we hadn't been in the hills since the beginning of February so this was a pleasant intro.

We arrived at the steep bit, looked at it and hoped it wasn't going to be as bad as it looked, got the poles out ready for use and got on with it.

Views on the way up
ImageDSC02315 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC02318 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC02320 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC02322 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC02324 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC02326 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

It took half an hour of steady plodding to get to the point where it starts to level off slightly and the path starts a raising traverse, from here it was another 15 minutes or so to the summit, from car to the top it takes about one and a quater hrs, that was the steep work done for now.

On the top we had some nice views, there were a lot of grey clouds but the air was clear and visibility was good.

Summit Denise
ImageDSC02328 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Towards Illgill Head and Scafell
ImageDSC02330 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

View NE
ImageDSC02332 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC02334 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Farmland around Nether Wasdale
ImageDSC02336 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC02340 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

West
ImageDSC02338 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Illgill Head

ImageDSC02342 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Wasdale
ImageDSC02344 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

After a short break we set off for Illgill Head. Along the top of the screes the going is good and the views are superb with all the big Lakeland mountains around Wasdale in full view, the last time I did these it was raining and was walking the other way, today's direction is far superior and with the cloud cover it added a little something to these lovely mountains.

On Illgill Head
ImageDSC02348 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Kirk Fell and Great Gable
ImageDSC02349 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Yewbarrow, Red Pike And Pillar
ImageDSC02353 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Yewbarrow, Kirkfell
ImageDSC02355 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Great Gable
ImageDSC02357 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Shelter on Illgill Head
ImageDSC02362 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

We could see Scafell, our next objective, looming large
ImageDSC02365 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageWasdale pano from Illgill Head by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

We set off down towards Maiden Castle, this is quite a steep descent to say the least, on the way down, for some unexplained reason I suggested to Denise we'd head for Slight Side first because it looked less daunting, big mistake!, the walk towards Hardrigg Gill was tiring over the wet tussocky ground and when we finally arrived at the gill it was so full of water we couldn't find a crossing point, we decided to follow it up stream, still too wide and the rocks were slippy, further up still we were slithering around on the wet hillside, we were at about 400m and were ready for jacking it in, I pulled out the map to suss out where we were and saw we had a fair way to go but we were not too far off the path up Scafell, so after some debate about time and enough of it? we decided to crack on.

We found a path a wee bit further up, too soon to be the main path but it was heading in the right direction so we stuck to it, as it got higher and onto the scree it became cairned so it must be used but not marked, at about 700m it joins the main path so all was good, after a lot huffing and puffing (I was knacked by now :lol: ) we arrived at the top, just as the cloud came in :roll: it didn't stay long so we got some views. I think it was the time out from the hills but this summit was hard earned, I was knackered!!! :lol:

Scafell summit
ImageDSC02366 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Misty Scafell Pike
ImageDSC02367 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

There's Wastwater down there, honest!
ImageDSC02368 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Burnmoor Tarn
ImageDSC02369 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Esk Pike, Bowfell, Crinkles
ImageDSC02370 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Slight Side in the sun
ImageDSC02371 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Illgill Head and Whinn Rigg, centre
ImageDSC02372 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

After a well earned snack and a few piccy's we set off for Slight Side, it looks easy on the map but a bit rocky on the ground, we took it steady on our tired legs.

Looking back to Scafell
ImageDSC02373 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Slight Side is really just a lump but it commands some nice views, especially into Eskdale. We had a rest on the top but, due to the cold wind, we cut it short and set off for Wastwater.

Slight Side summit, Eskdale behind
ImageDSC02374 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

View towards Buckbarrow, Middlefell, Yewbarrow, Red Pike etc
ImageDSC02375 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

We did a bit of a descending traverse around Kettle Cove aiming for the path that comes up from Burnmoor Tarn.

WW2 Hurricane wreckage on the way down
ImageDSC02376 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC02377 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

This was completely off piste and hard on the ankles but we managed to arrive on the path at around NY198063 and went straight downhill to the left of Groove Gill, heading for the trees of Fence Wood and the path that takes you back to the head of the lake.

We arrived on the path near some ruined buildings and took full advantage of the level stonework to sit down and have a well deserved rest and an extended food break.

Food views
ImageDSC02380 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC02381 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

We set off again knowing that once we arrived at the NT car park we had a very long walk back along the lake shore to Nether Wasdale

Car park view
ImageDSC02384 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

a very sobering reality, we decided on the road because I thought that using my thumb for the first time in my life might reward us, as it turned out we'd only travelled about 400m when a very kind couple opened their car window as they got to us to offer us a lift, well, you can guess the feeling of relief and sheer gratitude we expressed, it was so unexpected but goes to show there is still trust out there and, as the couple said, they feel that offering to help fellow walkers would hopefully encourage more of the same, so, thank you again and I hope you use this site Mr and Mrs Zafira, you are absolute stars.

An enjoyable day, I underestimated the terrain so it proved to be harder on the body than expected, Sunday was set aside for Lingmell but when we'd rested our knees became stiffer, come Sunday morning they'd virtually seized up so we decided to give 'em a chance to recover and come again for Lingmell, eee! any excuse.... as if we need one :wink: :lol:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: More catching up in Wasdale.

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:41 am

Sounds a really tough walk, I can see why you were so relived to catch a lift.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby martin.h » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:12 am

Hi Anthony,
It was a bit tougher than it looked on the map, I must admit, but it was the only way I could see to include Slight Side as well as the others while we were in the neighbourhood, Wastwater looked an awful long way away from the top of
Slight Side :lol: we were going to walk back to Nether Wasdale along the screes but the thought of those boulders swayed us to the road, it must have been decided for us by a higher being otherwise we'd have missed our lift :D :lol:
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby trailmasher » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:56 pm

Very nice, a fine walk indeed with some good photos to boot. A great handful of hills there MH :clap: I too struggled up through the screes on the west slopes a few years back, in the rain, and I too was knackered on arrival at the summit of Slight Side :?
Well done the both of you and good to see that Denise was still full of smiles at the summit :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby martin.h » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:23 pm

Hi trailmasher
Slight Side is an awkward little summit to pick off, no straight forward up and down, but it's well placed for grand views.
Yes, I can always rely on Denise for smiles on the summit :D
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland