walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Allt Broighleachan pinewood, Glen Orchy

Allt Broighleachan pinewood, Glen Orchy

Postby Dubh Linn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Route description: Allt Broighleachan pinewood, Glen Orchy

Date walked: 07/07/2018

Distance: 6.75 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a couple of big days on the hill a shorter walk was required to rest the legs and get back in time for the afternoon world cup football match. The drive into Glen Orchy was lovely on another sunny day. The WH walk directions suggested the trail and the bridge leading to it were closed whereas the Forestry Commission site suggested it was open - which it is.

After crossing the bridge there is a wide track gradually climbing upwards. The trees to the right have been felled recently and the track looks to have been "improved" for the forestry vehicles. It was hot walking along it in the sun and flies and clegs were out in force.

DSCN1160.jpg

DSCN1161.jpg
Looking back to the bridge

Fairly quickly a fork in the track was reached with a signpost directing us left onto a more established track.

DSCN1162.jpg

DSCN1163.jpg

We eventually escaped from the recently logged area although not from the flies and clegs.

DSCN1164.jpg

We arrived at the picnic area still cursing the insects and had a quick stick throwing session in the river with Jess.

DSCN1165.jpg

Another signpost marked the route, a much older forestry track climbing up towards the Allt Brioghleachan Pinewood reserve.

DSCN1166.jpg

DSCN1167.jpg

We walked a fair way into the reserve, enjoying the peace and the trees. The path was a little wet in places even after such a hot weather period. We had intended to walk right through the reserve but the clegs were making the walk unpleasant so we decided to turn around early.

DSCN1169.jpg

DSCN1170.jpg

On arriving back at the bridge we spent some time exploring the rocks around the Eas Urchaidh falls. The low water levels gave us good access to get close to the river and the gorge. This must be some sight when full of water.

DSCN1172.jpg

DSCN1173.jpg

DSCN1174.jpg

DSCN1175.jpg

This is a nice walk to do if you are in the area and want an easy stroll or if the weather is poor. On a hot day expect to be a mobile food source!
Dubh Linn
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:138   Islands:13

Re: Allt Broighleachan pinewood, Glen Orchy

Postby Trigs12 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:41 pm

Did this walk yesterday with my dog after reading your report, its a nice walk. Lots of forestry going on at the moment.

For anyone else reading, it is possible to make a nice circular walk by following the path out through the pine reserve up to Lochan Coire Thoraidh. Then descend off the hill on the far side of the loch and follow the path (vague at times) down towards catnish. The track comes to an end at the gate into the Catnish house, but go along the edge of the fence and keep beside the river all the way back to the bridge you crossed at the start of the walk.

Its quite a nice walk with varied scenery, from forestry tracks, natural forest, hillside and mountain views, then a woodland riverside walk to finish it off. About 8 miles in total.
Trigs12
Scrambler

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Donalds:1

Postby tweedledog » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:19 am

I agree about the pleasant circular walk that you mention. I've done it several times, though not since they started the current forestry work. My version doesn't stay by the river after Catnish but goes up into the forest and along a somewhat overgrown track which emerges close to the starting point at the falls. An account with route map is at:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37189
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Trigs12 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:20 pm

Yeah i had actually seen your writeup also a while ago but i couldnt find it again yesterday,this is the only one mentioned on the walkhighlands description page.
Had intended to follow the firebreak mentioned in yours, but when i got there it looked decent enough walking along the rivers edge so i decided to give it a shot. Not bad most of the way, fairly level and only the odd wet bit in places.

Theres 2 newish looking paths of stone made higher up, one a little bit before the loch and one heading uphill from beside the loch. Not sure where they go, if anywhere, so may need to go back sometime and give them a try also.
Trigs12
Scrambler

Postby tweedledog » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:53 am

Interesting about those new stone paths; can't think why they would be developed up there. There used to be the trace of a path running around the hillside that looms over the Lochan on its east side. Is that where one of the stone paths is? Also, there is what becomes a rather boggy path beginning at 2180 3209 before you reach the Lochan. I once tried working my way across to Beinn Donachain by that route but was confounded by fencing and The Whippet's inability to climb, Now I guess I'll have to go up and take another look...
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Trigs12 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:13 pm

Dont have coordinates handy, but where you turn left off the path to head around the north side of the loch, if you turned right (west) instead there is a firebreak heading uphill, thats where one path goes. It is very steep though, and not sure how far it goes.

The other one i forget exactly, but i think it branches off north from the path sort of southwest from Cruach Eachd. I think my map actually showed a small bit of path going to a dead end in the firebreak, and then another track starting further NW in the same firebreak. Might be the track you mention going to Beinn Donachain.

I never ventured along either of them though, so not sure how far they go. Not really sure why they've done them either unless they do go somewhere. Down lower where the forestry has been felled there are some new paths through those areas also.

Not sure if thats replacing older paths though, or maybe they want to add to the mountain bike trails? I saw MTB trails mentioned on the map before i went and considered taking the bike. Glad i didnt though, would have been pushing and carrying it most of the way
Trigs12
Scrambler

Postby tweedledog » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:25 pm

Yes, I recall the firebreak you mention (though not gone up it) and the other route you describe is indeed the one that I tried and was stopped by dog-proof fencing. I'll check these out again next time.
As far as mountain bike routes are concerned the only "official" one there used to run from the track close to where you turn off for access to Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh all the way to Bridge of Orchy. That was officially closed several years ago, but I think it would now be possible to ride all the way to Bridge of Orchy along the new track that they've built for bringing timber out of the forest. I've walked it (at a weekend when there's no work going on) to the point where it connects to an old established track which, if the map is to be believed, runs on to Bridge of Orchy. But by then The Whippet was tired, old dog that he is, so we turned around.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Trigs12 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:41 pm

Ah, good to know. Nice area to explore, so ill be back at some point with the bike. Probably wait till the forestry works are finished though.
Trigs12
Scrambler

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland