walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Brack for More

Brack for More

Postby Jaxter » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:55 am

Route description: The Brack and Cnoc Còinnich , Ardgartan

Corbetts included on this walk: Cnoc Coinnich, The Brack

Date walked: 24/03/2018

Time taken: 5.1 hours

Distance: 16.37 km

Ascent: 1183m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The final Helensburgh Saturday of the term – I jumped in the car and decided to revisit some hills I’d not had a view from previously. Parking at Ardgarten I ditched the dress and slipped into something more comfortable :lol:

I waited for yet another shower to finish before heading off along the track. It was a beautiful afternoon and with one more concert down I felt a lot more relaxed 8)

Up the footpath….as steep as I remember :crazy:

Height was gained quickly and layers were shed as I was getting seriously warm :lol: Before long I was above the trees and able to look up Glen Croe towards Beinn an Lochain

I crossed the burn without too much difficulty….

A rainbow 8)

The Cobbler, with Beinn Ime & Narnain behind

Some view eh

It was easy walking although very squishy underfoot. Once I reached the snow it made it harder as the snow was very damp and every foot slipped through into more bog. Even trying to stick to the rocks didn’t really help as they were slippery too :lol:

I met a couple of people near the lochan who said they weren’t going any higher because there was lots of snow….

Loch Long and the Luss Grahams

It was an easy climb up the shoulder – the snow was more compacted here so it was much easier to walk on 8)

Climbing out onto the summit I was greeted by views!! And wind blowing snow at me….but yay, views 8) :thumbup:

Ben Lomond

The Cobbler & pals

The Rest & Be Thankful with Beinn an Lochain behind

Blue skies and sun 8)

The Brack summit

Moving on, I continued down the ridge, going in the right direction this time (the previous visit had been clagged in and I’d wandered off in the wrong direction without thinking :lol: )

Looking back to the trig – some viewpoint 8)

Bits of snow to walk on 8)

Beinn an Lochain

It was a glorious afternoon; the Cobbler looked very different to the week before where it was coated in snow!

Came down the side of this big boy!

It was a long descent from The Brack – Cnoc Coinnich my next target looked miles away!

These hills looked amazing; pretty sure this is Ben Bheula

After wading through a lot of bog and very squishy snow I was finally at the bealach; I wandered along the Cowal Way before breaking off up towards the ridge.

Looking back to The Brack

Cnoc Coinnich

I’m not sure what this hill is but it looks ace!

I met a guy on my way onto the ridge and we chatted awhile before continuing in our opposite directions. Once on the ridge the view opened out again. It was turning into a lovely evening 8)

Beinn Ime & Beinn Luibhean

Cowal hills

Navigation was easy and before long I was on the summit enjoying views of Ben Lomond….

The Brack with the Cobbler behind

Down Loch Long and the Firth of Clyde

A bird struggling in the wind above the summit

Me on the summit of Cnoc Coinnich

I reckoned I’d found a new route down, so I retraced my steps off the summit

The Brack

Luss Grahams

I headed down snowy slopes which made the descent wonderfully easy. And looking back up looked pretty cool 8)

The Brack

Eventually the snow ran out, I crossed a burn and then ended up in a bog :lol:

Looking back up

Heading back towards the Cowal Way the ground underfoot got ridiculously wet – clearly these hills are always boggy :lol:

Once back on the good path I dropped height quickly….

I’d forgotten how long the walk out on the track was….crossing this river I still had miles to go…

Finally reaching the shores of Loch Long; it was a stunning evening 8)

Finally back at the car, it was a case of a simple drive home but as I had to stop off in Helensburgh to pick up my Cello it seemed a good idea to take the coast road and it was worth it for a wee photo 8)

Thank goodness for Hill Therapy :thumbup:

Brack and Cnoc Coinnich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Brack for More

Postby malky_c » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:40 pm

Nice....some of my favourites in the Arrochar area 8)

I like your new approach to walk reports - post them up 12 months after the walk :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland