walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Chuinneag in summer sun

Carn Chuinneag in summer sun

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:34 pm

Route description: Càrn Chuinneag, Strath Carron, Ardgay

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn Chuinneag

Date walked: 24/06/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17.7 km

Ascent: 782m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another chance to knock off a 2018 WR. You know it's the end of the financial year when the clients go quiet...

This one was a bit mad, direction-wise. I'd intended to do Arkle, but it looked like another day of low cloud and no views in the west and all around the coast. So I checked my roadmap and found Carn Chuinneag. My route to get there took me down Loch Shin where I watched an osprey fishing for its breakfast at about 8.30am. (No big lens, sorry.)

Ker-sploosh

The skies on the way to Bonar Bridge got better and better - this was going to be an easy luxury summer's day it seemed. I felt actually guilty...

Lenticular clouds (?) towards Bonar Bridge

In the grounds of the Glen Calvie lodge was a tree-mounted feeding-box, crammed with hazelnuts. This squirrel was tucking in when I suddenly appeared. It belted up the tree and we watched each other briefly before I hoofed off to leave it in peace to enjoy its brunch.

Apart from the squirrel, no one else was around. The 5-star treehouse seemed to be empty too, judging by the silence.

A place up a tree

I hurried through the lodge grounds, pausing only to look back at the lattice bridge...

... and on into Glen Calvie.

Mistle thrush

Another lattice bridge up ahead and my easy destination beyond.

Wants a bike really....

The tops of Carn Chuinneag

I was roasting, so at the left-then-right junction where you head off up the stalkers path, I dropped off my rucksack contents and unnecessary layers in a drybag and stashed it down by the burn. A cuckoo was flying and calling in and around the copse, soon joined by another, so I watched them for a while, rehydrating as I did so. Then I grabbed my water and a snack, and with a lighter sack and a lighter step,carried on up in shorts and t-shirt.

Up the track, I looked back down the glen - very pretty.

Looking back down on Glen Calvie and Diebidale Lodge

Through the summery haze, old friends appeared in the distance.

Ben More Assynt appears

Ben Klibreck over on the right

At A'Chioch (488m), even Ben Hope was just about discernible.
View over to Ben Klibreck from A' Chioch, with Ben Hope on left.

All very blue remembered hills, but without the kids...

The it was up the zigzag path, disarmingly veering right over to the west, but trust it - it brings you back, as long as you turn left when the option arrives!

Looking back down on the zigzag stalkers path from A' Chioch

I was quite surprised to see the Assynt hills from up here. By no means gobsmacking views because of the distance and the haze of the day, but a delight to have a direct line of vision to them.

Cul Mor and Cul Beag

Suilven (left), Canisp (middle) and Quinag (right)

Approaching the bealach between the two tops, the view opened up south east to reveal the Strath Farrar hills - where I've yet to explore...

SE to crinkly Strathfarrar Munros

Down at my feet, now off the path and heading up to the summit, I found cloudberry and also mountain bearberry. Not tempted to eat it (nor brew it or smoke it, which apparently is a thing). The leaves have so much tannin in them they've been used to tan leather.

Bearberry with tannin-heavy leaves

At the summit, the Assynt beauties were on parade as I nibbled my fruit and seeds. On a crisper day they must look transformed from here but I'm always very, very happy to see them.

BMC, Culs, Suilven, Canisp and Quinag

Beinn Dearg (left-hand lump) to An Teallach (middle) and BMC to the right

And to the south was the big bulk of Ben Wyvis with Beinn Derg to the west..

Ben Wyvis to Beinn Dearg pano

Loch Morie and Meall an Tuirc windfarm

Dornoch Firth with Struie Hill

The top was windy so the shelter summit cairn was welcome. After lingering up at the top for a good long while, I headed back. The lovely walk back out along the glen, after retrieving my drybag, was a joy. In the stream below me, I could hear fish jumping. As I headed down for a look, two fish looked up at me and shot away out of sight. (I'd make a rubbish osprey.) The trees were full of coal tits, sparrows, nuthatch, butterflies and then back up at the road, a young willow warbler and parent were busy in dialogue.

Elusive salmon or trout

Juv willow warbler

Parent willow warbler

Parent willow warbler (staying still)

As I drove back along Strathcarron - in fact before I even got that far, I was just on the lodge approach road - three Range Rovers zoomed towards me, to a mutual slamming of brakes. Lodge-guests? They were certainly very well-fed looking men.
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland