walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Kinlochleven to Rannoch Station?

Kinlochleven to Rannoch Station?

Postby Plavuizen » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:39 pm

Hi there,

I'm planning a walk mid May from Kinlochleven up to the Blackwater reservoir dam and then straight on to Rannoch Station, north of Black Corries Lodge and Loch Laidon.
There is obviously a path up to the dam, choice of north or south of RIver Leven.
Then I think a pathless section.
From Lochan nam Breac Reamhar (NN 24395 58573) I see a path on the Ordnance map running east, til around NN 33846 57756, crossing Allt na Cradh-Lice in between.
According to my "Not the West Highland Way" book, then I have to go (pathless) east via Stob nan Losgann, Stob na Cruaiche and Meall Liath na Doire to then descent to Rannoch Station.
In total around 30 km / 19 miles, 1400 m ascent. Based on these parameters, seems like a full day walking.

So far, this is what I can see from sitting on my chair looking at a book and a computer. The question is: does anyone have experience with this route in real live? What's the condition under foot? Does the track exist south of Blackwater reservoir? Are water crossings doable? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Plavuizen
Walker

Munros:4   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:2

Re: Kinlochleven to Rannoch Station?

Postby davekeiller » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:50 pm

Not done that route, but have done a few walks around Rannoch and Corrour stations. Rannoch moor is pretty wet and boggy with few paths. It will not be easy underfoot, and I wouldn't bet on the path existing.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:57 am

Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:59 am

I've been up to the Blackwater Dam and up to Loch Chiarain Bothy, but not your proposed route. Personally I think that would be a pretty tough pathless wet route. I'd be more inclined to walk to Corrour Station, then to Lubnaclach ruin (NN373643) then on the path passed Corrour Old Lodge (NN407647) eventually down to Rannoch Station. A good option would be to add Leum Uilleim en rotue to Corrour.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby rgf101 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:58 pm

I hope you do it, because I'd love to know what it's like, but I think the above prediction of a long wet-footed day is likely true.

FWIW, I've walked Corrour - Loch Treig - Loch Chiarain - Dam - Kinlochleven twice now, both in November, and while it's wet underfoot at points, particularly going up from Loch Treig, it's been perfectly doable. And enough decent path that you can stop looking at your feet and enjoy the views.
rgf101

Postby Plavuizen » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:12 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:This trip report gives some idea of conditions http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=19325

Thanks for the responses sofar and this link in particular. It contains a photo showing a new estate road between black corries lodge and Blackwater reservoir, which I can also clearly see on some satelite images (unless it’s a canal full with water).

Couple of years ago I did the Kingshouse to Rannoch Station path, which was indeed faint, but actually resonably well going. Last year I did Corrour Station to Lubnaclach ruin (NN373643) west of the railway and back east of the railway. West was wet and very faint path, east was pretty good. If my new thought route would be comparable to that, I would give it a chance.
Plavuizen
Walker

Munros:4   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:2

Postby prog99 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:08 pm

You could also head over Stob na Cruaiche which being so isolated has great views. May also keep your feet drier!
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby rohan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:45 pm

I walked part of the route last year when walking that bit of the Watershed of Scotland. Relevant to you is from Black Corries Lodge to Meall Liath na Doire part. However I met a couple who where staying at Rannoch Station and had walked up from there to Stob na Cruaiche, unfortunately I don't remember their exact route but they followed a path for a fair bit of it. The rouute from Stob na Cruaiche to Meall Liath na Doire was rough heather alternating with peat hags. NB Black Corries to Stob na Cruaiche was straightforward with a new built track then relatively easy ground over Stob na Losgann to Stob na Cruaiche.
My report is here and the day I crossed over Stob na Cruaiche is Thursday 17th May ( day 2 of that particular outing)
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=81225
I hope this helps.
rohan

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion