walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A baaa-nging day on the hills!

A baaa-nging day on the hills!

Postby LailaQuiche » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:40 am

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 11/04/2019

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13.3 km

Ascent: 1086m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What with another day promising clear skies and sunshine, I knew I needed to get out on the hills again! Although my legs were still feeling tired from my jaunt up Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich the day before, I knew I had get on with it in order to make the most of the glorious weather. Also, with my plans to do the West Highland Way in May, I knew I had to get used to consecutive days walking.

We set off in good spirits with sun beaming down on us yet again. We somehow managed to fall at the first hurdle, missing the turn off over the stile and wandering through the farm. A rather displeased woman in a car stopped to tell us we we should not be walking through the farm - woops! We hurriedly carried on and passed over a gate before turning off the track to head straight up the side of Tulaichean. This is a completely different angle from the one described on WalkHighlands - we were following a woman called Deb's route on ViewRanger - and it was absolutely brutal. The first hour was extremely steep and there was absolutely no path whatsoever. Deb, you absolute nutter! Still, we battled on, having to use our hands at several points. It was so ridiculously hard it was actually quite fun in a strange way!

IMG_20190411_115550.jpg
Looking back into the glen

Once we got a bit higher up, we met the real path. We stopped to have a bit of lunch in celebration before carrying on our way. The going was much easier now we had a path and it wasn't long before we reached the summit. Of course, the views were absolutely magnificent and once again, we could see for miles!

IMG_20190411_131232.jpg

IMG_20190411_130851.jpg

IMG_20190411_130855.jpg

IMG_20190411_130857.jpg

IMG_20190411_131236.jpg

Cruach Ardrain sat in front of us, looking immense. Off we set, passing two walkers coming off Cruach Ardrain and heading towards Tuilachean. Had they started at Crianlarich perhaps? The path up Cruach Ardrain was very enjoyable despite my protesting legs! We soon reached the top and sat to have some well deserved snacks and soak in the absolutely magnificent views that surrounded us. Ben More and Stob Binnein looking fantastic. I had tried to conquer them last summer but horrible weather conditions and fog forced me to turn back. Seeing them in all their glory, I couldn't wait to climb them soon!

IMG_20190411_141420.jpg

IMG_20190411_141357.jpg

We then begun our descent back down, the soft, bouncy grass providing excellent cushioning for my useless knees. As we were walking down, we saw some sheep and begun 'baaa-ing' at them. Suddenly, two tiny lambs popped out from behind a rock and came running towards us. The lambs stood pressed up against my legs making such a racket. Me and my friend looked at each other in bewilderment. Then Mama Sheep appeared and begun marching over to us. My poor friend freaked out and begun bounding down the hill with the lambs running after her, screaming 'HEEEEELP!' Meanwhile, I was creased over in stitches! Mum collected my children and bustled off. I comforted my friend who was sure she was about to meet her death. I don't know if the lambs heard us baa-ing and got confused and thought we were calling them over?! Very strange!

IMG_20190411_150940.jpg

IMG_20190411_153632.jpg

IMG_20190411_153646.jpg

The walk along the track back to the car felt long but was very pleasant. I was knackered but extremely content after another brilliant day!
LailaQuiche

Munros:70   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: A baaa-nging day on the hills!

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Great photos - looks like spring has definitely arrived!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby johnscot55 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:26 am

I know what you mean about Tulaichean. If you can be bothered, read my report on how I got on :roll: !
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   

Postby LailaQuiche » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:43 am

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Great photos - looks like spring has definitely arrived!

Tim

Spring has been teasing us somewhat but I think we can all say with confidence it has arrived for real this time! :)
LailaQuiche

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu May 02, 2019 4:39 pm

great report and what fantastic weather you had :clap: , with regards to the lambs thing, I've had this happen to me, and you can see the mum walking over protectively, so I've tried not to stress her out by playing with her lambs, but it is a lovely feeling having the lambs run over to you baaing! :D
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby LailaQuiche » Mon May 13, 2019 10:36 am

Sack the Juggler wrote:great report and what fantastic weather you had :clap: , with regards to the lambs thing, I've had this happen to me, and you can see the mum walking over protectively, so I've tried not to stress her out by playing with her lambs, but it is a lovely feeling having the lambs run over to you baaing! :D

We were trying our best not to engage with them at all and didn't touch them, just walked calmly away (well, I did. My friend was fleeing in terror!!) Wouldn't want Mum thinking we were meddling with them! Very cute, though! :)
LailaQuiche

Postby LailaQuiche » Mon May 13, 2019 10:39 am

johnscot55 wrote:I know what you mean about Tulaichean. If you can be bothered, read my report on how I got on :roll: !

I actually read your report before we went and definitely found the first hour the hardest!
LailaQuiche

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland