walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tough walk

Tough walk

Postby CraigCampbell » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:53 am

Route description: Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a'Chreachain

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair

Date walked: 25/04/2019

Distance: 21.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was an extra 20 minutes to walk from the car park to the route on Walkhighlands and return to the car park afterwards. I was worried about crossing the river in spate (not knowing if the rivers would be in spate), but I guess that it had been dry enough for long enough,s o i was able to for the river over the Allt Ur at the beginning of stage 1. Also, the Walk Description, at the end of Stage 1, says that the footbridge shown 2km after ruined farm of Tom na Grobh bridge "is currently down. Crossing the river would be impossible in spate conditions". However, there were two girders forming a bridge. I tried to attach photo, but i didn't have the tools to meet the file size demands. I decided to slide along on my bum! Given the river wasn't in spate, it would have been possible to cross further along. The exit from the track to this bridge isn't well marked. Unlike, the posts that are used subsequently to indicate the route with arrows, this post doesn't have an arrow or any other marker. I didn't realise that it was indicating the route. I thought that it was a rogue fence post.
The walk itself was tough and it was very windy and visibility was reduced to 8-10 metres on the summits, so no reward for all that work! :-(
CraigCampbell
Walker

Munros:209   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Tough walk

Postby Backpacker » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:53 am

I did this route in reverse as I didn't fancy using the girders, after Beinn a Chreachain I retraced back to the 972M spot height and headed down towards the corner of the forest then over the bridge to the main track
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland