walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

How do they run it?

How do they run it?

Postby Murphy26 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:08 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Glamaig

Date walked: 02/08/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Ascent: 775m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was one walk we had been telling ourselves to do since we arrived on Skye nearly a year ago. Surely if people can run it in 45 mins then we should be able to walk it no problem? Well, the problem was that I'm a bit of a novice, a bit of a wimp and we had two dogs on leads due to the random sheep! We left the Slig car park at around lunchtime, the weather wasn't too bad, dry but cloudy and so we thought we would do Glamaig and then continue on in a horseshoe before ending up back at the Slig. We chose to attack Glamaig as the runners would and so we set of across the bog and began our ascent. After about an hour and the realisation that going back would be so much worse than going on, we were half way and what a view! I've been into the black cuillins and walked a lot around Skye but Glamaig gave this 'top of the world' feel and you can't help but stop and take it all in. Even though it's just a corbett it felt higher than everything else around. I loved it. After a couple of hairy moments of 'don't look down' and 'please dogs, don't chase the sheep while your attached to me', we made it to the summit. It was incredibly calm and it was great to be able to relax and take in the view. We headed down the south side and even though the collie was desperate to keep going, the Huntaway had had enough so we chose to head home. Continuing on would of meant going up more scree and I think the dogs pads were lucky to get off Glamaig in one piece so it was best not to risk it. A really good walk which I would highly recommend but very boggy on the lower ground.
Attachments
DSC00166.JPG
snacks at the top
DSC00857.JPG
halfway with Glen Sligachan below
DSC00847.JPG
Murphy26
Mountaineer

Re: How do they run it?

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:11 am

How do they run it?

Beats me. I once went to watch; saw the runners set off and went for a pint in the Slig. By the time I came back outside the first runner was in :shock:

Agree about the views from Glamaig - must rank amongst the best in Scotland. I dislocated my knee up there and aren't going up again :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:26 am

Paul Webster wrote:I dislocated my knee up there and aren't going up again

You kept quiet on that one...I could have been over there in a flash with me amputation set all sharp and lovely ~ could've set you up with a fine whalebone peg-leg too. What a golden opportunity you missed... :(
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby JamesA1972 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:05 pm

Looks a good one - great views.

The run is on 14th July this year

Looks like there is a path most of the way? Is this the route that the run takes?
JamesA1972
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Fionas:1   

Postby gaffr » Sun May 13, 2012 8:03 am

I was in the area last July when the race was in progress having traversed along from the Sconser end of the hill. That which, on the image, looks like the path is, I think, a kindof dried out burn. :) See the image with the folks on the rather wet and boggy path that I followed out towards Sligachan. After the boggy path as you are aware you have the relentless screes. Last year won by a fleetfooted gentleman from the flatlands of east lothian. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby gaffr » Sun May 13, 2012 8:11 am

Oops!...I forgot to include the image.
HPIM5362.jpg
On the descent from Glamaig and meeting the upcoming runners.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland