walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Landslide near Loch Quoich dam update.

Re: Landslide near Loch Quoich dam update.

Postby rohan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:54 am

As for Sgurr a'Mhaoraich I did have some ridiculous plans to go around or over the SG ridge but I think at this rate I'll take the hit and do the walk in and out from Kingie which will probably make it about 24 miles on foot all-in.

Not so ridiculous, I went that way last November, when accessing the Watershed. There ae some good stalkers paths. You could also take in a Corbett...unless you really aren't doing any of them until you compleat your Munro round. If that is the case I would say that you are missing some great hills and there are plenty that combine well with the Munros.
rohan

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:17 am

rohan wrote:
As for Sgurr a'Mhaoraich I did have some ridiculous plans to go around or over the SG ridge but I think at this rate I'll take the hit and do the walk in and out from Kingie which will probably make it about 24 miles on foot all-in.

Not so ridiculous, I went that way last November, when accessing the Watershed. There ae some good stalkers paths. You could also take in a Corbett...unless you really aren't doing any of them until you compleat your Munro round. If that is the case I would say that you are missing some great hills and there are plenty that combine well with the Munros.

What approach did you take exactly?

My Munro round has been pretty quick (about two and a half years) and I'll be redoing them several times over the course of my life I'm sure. I might do a Corbett round or I might do a round of Munros, tops and Corbetts in addition to maybe doing some stuff abroad. I think I'll draw the line there as I don't fancy doing all the Grahams.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby rohan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:05 pm

What approach did you take exactly?

My route is here https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=85699

but you could also go over Bealach Duibh Leac. It is a bit of up and down but as you appear young and fit it shouldn't be much of a problem. You could also make use of public transport (bus from Fort William to Glensheil) and walk out via Knoydart, taking in the Munros there. Have fun whatever you do.
rohan

Postby davidtimothyscott » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:31 am

Does anyone know how far along you can take a car? I was thinking of kayaking across the Loch to tackle Sgurr Mor and Gairich but could always make that a longer kayak from the damn.
davidtimothyscott
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:60
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:25 pm

You cant get the car as far as the dam. :(
Sunset tripper

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:36 pm

Road is fine at the dam now.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Postby clem_f » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:39 am

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:Road is fine at the dam now.

Good to hear - apologies for my mis-information in this thread.
clem_f
Munro compleatist

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:11 pm

clem_f wrote:
iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:Road is fine at the dam now.

Good to hear - apologies for my mis-information in this thread.

Judging by what's going on around Allbeithe farm there's no shortage of road building experience in that neck of the woods. Think it's largely to service hydro works but the area resembles Area 51 when you're up on the ridges. The stalker's path going up until the coire is a full-on track now.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Postby kleighton » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:22 pm

Thank you so much to everyone for all comments. I had been planning the munros along here last year but only completed Gairich. I cannot wait to go back and do the others.
I see from posts this week that the road is open. Could anyone confirm that it would be OK to drive my VW Golf small car along past the dam to do Spidean Mialach and Gleouraich?
kleighton
Munro compleatist

Munros:224   Corbetts:27
Fionas:50   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:36   Hewitts:2

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:46 pm

kleighton wrote:Thank you so much to everyone for all comments. I had been planning the munros along here last year but only completed Gairich. I cannot wait to go back and do the others.
I see from posts this week that the road is open. Could anyone confirm that it would be OK to drive my VW Golf small car along past the dam to do Spidean Mialach and Gleouraich?

I drove my Astra over it. There was a couple of metres of gravel either side of a new section of road which I'm presuming will be tidied up as soon as possible.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Postby kleighton » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:31 pm

Thank you Iain. Good luck with compleation.
kleighton
Munro compleatist

Munros:224   Corbetts:27
Fionas:50   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:36   Hewitts:2

Postby clem_f » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:55 am

Was up Sgurr a'Mhaoraich yesterday - the bridge over the road that was washed away seems temporary at the moment, but easily crossable with any car. There is still a lot of construction equipment out there and traffic control lights, so assume that they will be working on it for some time yet.

bbrid1.JPG
clem_f
Munro compleatist

Postby peter1 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:23 am

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows if there are restrictions on using an inflatable dinghy with a small outboard engine (3hp) on Loch Quoich? I'm thinking of a 3-4 mile trip to the foot of Sgurr na Ciche N ridge. I don't have the stamina for paddling there and back (old age!)
peter1
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Skyelines » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:38 pm

peter1 wrote:Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows if there are restrictions on using an inflatable dinghy with a small outboard engine (3hp) on Loch Quoich? I'm thinking of a 3-4 mile trip to the foot of Sgurr na Ciche N ridge. I don't have the stamina for paddling there and back (old age!)

The Scottish Outdoor Access Code only provides for the use of manually propelled craft so a motorised boat is not permitted without the permission of the owner of the water body.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Geoff Briggs » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:06 am

I knew nothing about this landslip until 3rd June, when we were driving out to climb Sgurr a' Mhaoraich. Work was clearly still ongoing, but we were able to drive past without any problems. Went back on 5th June for Spidean Mialach and Gleouriach - half way along the road met the most enormous low-loader with a huge digger on the back! He wasn't about to reverse for me! Anyway, still got past the landslip area without a problem.
Geoff Briggs
Munro compleatist

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion