walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Waterproof trousers for a short gal

Waterproof trousers for a short gal

Postby Dawn_frearson » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi all, I am visiting the Cairngorms from seattle and think I need to bring waterproof trousers!
The problem is that I am just 5ft tall and cant find any to fit here . Will I be able to buy and in Scotland to fit and what do you recomend?
Thanks!
Dawn_frearson
Munro compleatist

Re: Waterproof trousers for a short gal

Postby regedmunds » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:55 pm

Have you considered the possibility of using a rain skirt? I gave up waterproof trousers a few years ago, can't stand them, their restrictions and the heat that they can generate.

Mine is just a rectangular piece of lightweight waterproof material, elasticated at the waist and secured by velcro. The key to its success is that you need waterproof gaiters on to avoid wet ankles and feet and to make a judgement as to how far the hem is from the ground, mine is 6". My bottom hem is also weighted with a heavy string, the type ladies use to stop their ordinary skirts blowing about in wind. Not sure what the string is called, I just bought mine in a local haberdashery shop.

You can buy them retail, I've seen them priced on line at £30 down to £10. Needless to say I bought mine at £10.

What I like most about my skirt is that in rain I can put it on, or take it off in just a few seconds, I don't even have to stop walking to do it.

As regards your original question, from what othere people tell me most waterproof trousers seem to be of a fixed length and difficult to shorten because you might have to cut through leg side zips?
regedmunds

Postby jmarkb » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:00 pm

Several brands available here come in different leg lengths - ladies short length is normally 28 or 29 inches inside leg - would that be OK for you?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:59 am

Although manufacturers make short length waterproof trousers it can be difficult to find in them in the shops, so you may be better ordering some online before you come. I like berghaus paclite they are light breathable and fully waterproof, with a full length zip. You can get waterproof trouser professionally shortened if need be.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby simon-b » Wed May 01, 2019 9:51 am

I have a female friend who is in her 30s and is 5 feet tall. She wears Bregahaus Deluge waterproof trousers in a girls' size.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby simon-b » Wed May 01, 2019 5:10 pm

simon-b wrote:I have a female friend who is in her 30s and is 5 feet tall. She wears Bregahaus Deluge waterproof trousers in a girls' size.

Sorry that should be Berghaus Deluge. Blame autocorrect!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Ben Nachie » Wed May 01, 2019 5:36 pm

Are you planning on camping out during your trip or are you just doing day hikes and staying in accommodation overnight? If it's the latter, then you may not really need waterproof trousers unless you're the sort who goes out whatever the weather.

Also, the gaiters and rain skirt idea is actually not a bad one. Remember we mean long gaiters that come to just below the knee, as that's what is usually worn here, not the short ankle gaiters.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 01, 2019 5:40 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:Also, the gaiters and rain skirt idea is actually not a bad one.

I can see this working in wet but fairly calm conditions, not sure what it would be like in a Cairngorm gale!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Ben Nachie » Wed May 01, 2019 8:06 pm

jmarkb wrote:
Ben Nachie wrote:Also, the gaiters and rain skirt idea is actually not a bad one.

I can see this working in wet but fairly calm conditions, not sure what it would be like in a Cairngorm gale!

True. It's more suited to low level long distance type of walks rather than high level summit bagging kind of walks.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu May 02, 2019 5:44 pm

You could wear shorts and rub axle grease into your legs for waterproofing. This would also help to deter midgies and ticks. :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Sun May 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk