walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Treig and Loch Ossian circuit on a blowy day!

Loch Treig and Loch Ossian circuit on a blowy day!

Postby goingforawii » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap, Càrn Dearg (Corrour), Chno Dearg, Sgòr Gaibhre, Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 13/04/2019

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 50.2 km

Ascent: 3594m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Loch_Treig_and_Ossian.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

"Don't forget your booties 'cause it's cold out there today!"

My word, I've been in blowy conditions before, but at times, this was something else. The Met Office was predicting up to 70 mph gusts for the Laggan/Corrour area with a windchill of anything down to -20... and wow, they weren't lying! :shock: The final push getting up Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin proved pretty arduous - and at times it was a case of just crouching down while the gusts passed.

Anyway - all part of the fun and my face had a very healthy glow at the end of it :lol:

I parked in the regular place at Fersit and did this walk in a clockwise direction. I figured if things weren't going to plan, I could get the train back from Corrour to Tulloch and do the west side of Loch Treig another time. But despite the absolute biting cold at the top of the hills - it was completely clear and a pretty balmy 10 degrees out of the wind, so didn't need to stop at Corrour in the end... except to visit the cafe and have a fuss with a gorgeous lab :D

Some of the views on this walk were superb! Views across to the Grey Corries from the twins of Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin possibly offering the best - but also seeing Loch Ossian Youth Hostel and the view you could wake up to if staying there being the highlights.

Other than that, I met a trio of walkers heading up Sgor Gaibhre who had walked from Corrour station and a couple of ladies walking from Corrour Station to Spean Bridge - but otherwise this was a very peaceful day. Pretty much the whole of Corrour to myself it seemed :D

The start at Fersit

The start at Fersit

The plod up towards Stob Coire Sgriodain

The plod up towards Stob Coire Sgriodain

The peak comes into view

Nearly at the top of Stob Coire Sgriodain

Wonderful views down Loch Treig

Stob Coire Sgriodain summit

Extensive views from the summit

Extensive views from the summit

Heading towards Chno Dearg

Heading towards Chno Dearg... a tiny bit of snow left...

Chno Dearg summit

Chno Dearg summit... still a bit icy

Views from Chno Dearg summit

Heading towards Beinn na Lap - a short down and up

Looking back from Beinn na Lap to Chno Dearg

Beinn na Lap summit

Heading down from Beinn na Lap towards Loch Ossian

Heading down from Beinn na Lap towards Loch Ossian

I think I'm too late to help...

Looking back up to Beinn na Lap ridge

Please close the gate

Crossing the burn to head down to the forest track along Loch Ossian

A lovely stroll down through the forest

Memorial stone near Corrour shooting lodge

Welcome to Corrour

A wonderful spot for a bite to eat

Heading up Sgor Gaibhre looking back down to Loch Ossain and the trio of walkers I passed

Heading up Sgor Choinnich with Sgor Gaibhre showing its face

Looking back from Sgor Gaibhre summit at Sgor Choinnich and Lochan a' Bhealaich

Heading from Sgor Gaibhre summit to Carn Dearg

Looking back up Sgor Gaibhre

Last push up Carn Dearg

Carn Dearg summit with supersized cairn

Views from Carn Dearg with Loch Ossian poking out

Views across Loch Ossian and Beinn na Lap

Views down Loch Ossian

Loch Ossian Youth Hostel - what a location!

Corrour Station

Corrour Station

Heading from Corrour Station back to Loch Treig

Corrour Summit with Beinn na Lap in the back ground

Heading back toward Loch Treig with the twins Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin on show

Walking round Loch Treig

Walking round Loch Treig - derelict dangerous house :shock:

Heading up Stob Coire Easain

Heading up Stob Coire Easain, looking back down to the tip of Loch Treig

Last push up Stob Coire Easain

Looking across the Grey Corries

Stob Coire Easain summit

Looking across to the Grey Corries again

Heading up Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin and looking back at Stob Coire Easain

Very final push to get up Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin summit

...and it was freezing, biting cold! Just realised I have my neck warmer inside out :lol:
Last edited by goingforawii on Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goingforawii

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Donalds:7
Hewitts:184
Wainwrights:214   Islands:47

Re: Loch Treig and Loch Ossian circuit on a blowy day!

Postby Alteknacker » Wed May 01, 2019 10:18 pm

Cracking route! I planned something very similar (just including Leum Uilleim), and good to see it in detail, now that it's unlikely I'll get round to doing it (at least in a day). Mind you, I see you're still running :D . I'd guesstimated it would take me about 17 - 18 hours, not 13!!!

Have you got the Mullardoch Round in your sights???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Graeme D » Thu May 02, 2019 10:59 pm

Agree with Alteknacker - brilliant route to join this lot up into one day. :clap:

This was the day my wife and I were on Stob Coir an' Albannaich and Meall an Eun in Glen Etive so I know what you mean about the blowy conditions and windchill on exposed aspects and ridges! It felt like summer in the corries but definitely winter up high!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby goingforawii » Fri May 03, 2019 8:38 am

Alteknacker wrote:Cracking route! I planned something very similar (just including Leum Uilleim), and good to see it in detail, now that it's unlikely I'll get round to doing it (at least in a day). Mind you, I see you're still running :D . I'd guesstimated it would take me about 17 - 18 hours, not 13!!!

Cheers Alteknacker. It is a good route - there were some cracking spots and viewpoints. The route is well defined (even trodden) all the way round except for the plod from Meall Garbh down and up to Beinn na Lap - then from the tip of Loch Treig up to Stob Coire Easain. Just make sure you get over the Easin Dubh burn as early as possible once you've completely walked around the SW bit of Loch Treig.

There wasn't much running this time round at all, honest! I reckon a good brisk walk would be 15 hours or just over! Putting Leum Uilleim in as well makes sense. I was tempted to go up there - from the station you can pretty much see the path all the way up to the top, so looked a simple one to go up.
goingforawii

Postby goingforawii » Fri May 03, 2019 8:41 am

Graeme D wrote:Agree with Alteknacker - brilliant route to join this lot up into one day. :clap:

This was the day my wife and I were on Stob Coir an' Albannaich and Meall an Eun in Glen Etive so I know what you mean about the blowy conditions and windchill on exposed aspects and ridges! It felt like summer in the corries but definitely winter up high!

Cheers Graeme D - I hope you had your booties on! :lol: I have never ever suffered from chapped lips in any weather before... but this day was the first time! I can now appreciate when somebody complains about dry cracked lips what they are talking about! :crazy:
goingforawii

Postby goingforawii » Fri May 03, 2019 10:47 am

Alteknacker wrote:

Oh and yes - definitely will give the Mullardoch Round a crack. Hoping to give it a bash in the next couple months...

There looks to be another good challenging round of 12 Munros for the ones in between Loch Quoich and Loch Cluanie... starting at Gleouraich and doing a clockwise route round to The Saddle and back to Sgurr a'Mhaoraich! :D 50km and 5300m of ascent (so about 7km less than Mullardoch but 300m more ascent) - and you could also include Buidhe Bheinn too:

LochQuoich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

goingforawii

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland