walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Ban circuit

Stob Ban circuit

Postby U059361 » Sat May 04, 2019 11:43 am

Route description: Stob Ban (Mamores) and Mullach nan Coirean

Munros included on this walk: Mullach nan Coirean, Stob Bàn (Mamores)

Date walked: 30/04/2019

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1155m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a walk I really enjoyed, the weather was benign, overcast, but little wind in the glen. The parking has plenty of spaces at the Lower Falls car park, they just ask for a 'donation' of £4 to park there all day. I had a look at the Lower Falls while I was there, not spectacular but worth a look. The start of the walk has a route map that makes it fairly obvious this is the way to go. It was just after 8am.

The going was fair, bit muddy in bits, over stones and boulders in bits, over roots and wee burns, as I climbed up the glen. There is quite a gorge higher up and several waterfalls. At the turn higher up, came up against a wall of rock and had a bit of mountaineering to do to get up it. I couldn't see a way around it, but maybe the path turned off earlier. However, didn't stop me. Climbing up a path towards the corries and the bealach, got a bit windy and chilly, so on with the hat, gloves and a couple of layers just to be sure.
ImageStob Ban from bealach by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The view from the ridge now is fantastic of Stob Ban, what a hill, looked forward to the scramble up to the top. Once on the hill proper, its boulders and rock all the way to the top, fantastic views opening up. The weather brightened up too when I got to the top. I could see the path up to the Ring of Steall and the route over to Mullach nan Coirean clearly. Lots of good walking here.
ImageRoute up ridge to Stob Ban by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageRoute to Mullach nan Coirean from Stob Ban by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
After photos, went down the rocks and in the shelter had my lunch. It was 10:30am. I was surprised I had climbed here so quickly. I watched the clouds come and go on the top of Ben Nevis and the other hills east of here. Stob Ban remained clear all day.
ImageRidge down looking towards Ben Nevis by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The route down goes down what is a scree chute, you can see it for miles its so white. It is almost impossible to stop sliding down it, so wouldn't want to come up here. Back on boulders to traverse over to the ridge again and finally no longer dropping down. The walk over to Mullach nan Coirean is fairly straight forward, just a wee bit weary when I finished the climb up to the top. Really sunny now, but the wind keeps it cool, perfect for walking really. It is behind me now.
ImageBen Nevis from Quartzite Cairn by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStob Ban en route to Mullach nan Coirean by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageMullach nan Coirean by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The views here are good in the sun. The drop down is a steep one as well as a long one.
ImageRoute down from Mullach nan Coirean by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr

By the time I got to the fence my legs are complaining a bit. Out of the wind, it was time to take off all the extra layers, hat and gloves. The walk through the woods was a trudge. Really glad to get to the forest track and even ground for walking. The final drop back to the road was thankfully short and once back at the car I was so glad to take by boots off. It was 1:30pm. Downed a can of Irn Bru before driving back to Edinburgh.
ImageGlen and Mullach nan Coirean from Glen Nevis road by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Stob Ban circuit

Postby Alteknacker » Fri May 17, 2019 2:55 pm

Some stunning pics of some superb hills - Stob Ban is really sensational up close - on a fantastic day. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland