walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A day of Sunshine and Shadows

A day of Sunshine and Shadows

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat May 04, 2019 2:44 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Arnison Crag, Birks, Seat Sandal, St Sunday Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: Seat Sandal, St Sunday Crag

Date walked: 27/03/2019

Time taken: 5.75

Distance: 17.2 km

Ascent: 1075m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A couple of days prior to the walk poor old Hughie managed to cut his foot on some glass while out for a potter. There was a time when the council would attempt to clear up broken glass but no more it seems.The streets and paths of Seaham are littered with it to such an extent I'm amazed this hasn't happened more often. Hughie's foot has recovered but not in time to join me on this walk so it was a genuine solo effort without the unstinting moral support normally given by my canine companion. :lol:

I arrived in Patterdale, a place I hadn't walked from for quite a while and following attempting to remember just where the path started from behind the hotel I was soon making my way up Arnison Crag on a cloudy day brightened by the occasional splash of sunshine. I arrived at the summit to be blessed with a beautiful view of sunshine picking out the green fields of Hartsop in dramatic fashion.

ImageLooking Across Glenmara Park by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageA Splash of Sunshine on Keldas by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSunlit Hartsop by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageArnison Crag Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

A brief respite from climbing took me to Trough Head where there is no option other than to head straight up the unrelentingly steep flanks of Birks by the ruined wall. Birks is not a memorable fell and this feels a lot of effort to attain a very un-glamorous grassy top with a small cairn. The payoff is the view across Grisedale to the dramatic Eastern aspect of the Helvellyn range.

ImageClimbing up from Trough Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the Flanks of Birks by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMoody Helvellyn Ridge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Sunlight on Nethermost Cove by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Catstycam over Striding Edge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAcross the Ridges by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I chose not to head directly for St Sunday Crag Summit and veered off on the obvious path to Gavel Pike. This is a super little perch and a superb place to sit and have an early lunch. I watched the clouds pass by creating endless variations on the landscape as shafts of sunlight caressed the hills, illuminating crags, valleys, ridges and fell tops. The observant will notice quite a few similar images from this spot, believe me I took many more. I could have happily sat there for a couple of hours and just set off back down but there were more places to visit so I reluctantly dragged myself away up to St Sunday Crag's main top.

ImageWatching the World Pass By by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLink Cove and Hart Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageShifting light towards Red Screes by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRay of Light by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the Final Climb to St Sunday Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMore changing light towards Red Screes by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back to Gavel Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageStriding Edge and Beyond by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSt Sunday Crag Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSunlight on Nethermost Cove by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I took in the views on the top wondering what to do with the remainder of the walk. My full itinerary was to include Cofa Pike, Fairfield and Seat Sandal but I wasn't feeling very sprightly and was a bit behind time so something had to give. Cofa Pike's intimidating appearance and a sudden picking up of the wind on the ridge to Deepdale Hause made my mind up and I was off down the path to Gresdale Tarn leaving Cofa Pike for another day.

ImageHeading off St Sunday Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDollywagon, Nethermost and Helvellyn by Anthony Young, on Flickr (click for big version)

ImageOn the Way to Deepdale Hause by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back to St Sunday Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Cofa Pike, one for another day by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFalcon Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The sights of upper Grisedale are easily enjoyed as you make your way down from the pass with Falcon Crag in particular looking very grand indeed. I made my way around the tarn before coming face to face with the very steep pull up Seat Sandal, I mentioned previously I wasn't feeling very sprightly, this was probably down to being a bit dehydrated and this was confirmed as I got cramps in one of my legs on the way up the steepest section. I managed to find level enough ground to stretch out my leg before the cramp really took hold but it was a slow and wobbly legged climb up Seat sandal and a relief once the summit plateau was attained. I took in the extensive views on what had turned out to be a quite spectacular day in Lakeland with sun and shade scattering the landscape beautifully.

ImageGrisdale Tarn from the Very Steep Climb up Seat Sandal by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Looking back to St Sunday Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking down Grisedale from Seat Sandal by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHole in the Sky by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTowards Windermere by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSeat Sandal Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The walk back to Patterdale was quite long but fortunately easy. Grisedale is a beautiful valley as it cuts its way between the spectacular Eastern aspects of the Hellvelyn ridge and the towering slopes of St Sunday Crag. It would, in all honesty be a worthy walk in its own right and proved to be a pleasant end to the outing.

ImageOn the way down Grisedale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRuthwaite Lodge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking up Ruthwaite Cove by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEagle Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back up Grisedale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSunlight at Breasteads by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLast Look Back by Anthony Young, on Flickr

St Sunday Crag.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A day of Sunshine and Shadows

Postby dav2930 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:10 pm

Sorry to hear about Hughie's foot JK; maybe he could sue Seaham council (then in turn they could sue the government for starving them of funds)? :roll:

Looked a fine walk on a day of contrasting light, well captured in your photos. Nice to see a shot of Eagle Crag; Karl & me were climbing there on Saturday (it was perishing in the blustery wind :lol: ). :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Mal Grey » Mon May 06, 2019 8:05 pm

Lovely light, so often the very sunny days don't offer photos with any atmosphere, but sun and shadow makes such a difference. Thanks for sharing.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby trailmasher » Tue May 07, 2019 4:40 pm

Nice, very nice Anthony :clap: Great pics and report of a day of good weather. That route is a favourite of mine - apart from the pull up to Birks - and I note that you went on to Gavel Pike, a fine little hill of its own distinction as your photos depict 8) I don't blame you for not doing the climb up to Cofa Pike as its a rough way to go if not continuing on to Fairfield :?
I also concur with you comment re Grisedale, it is indeed worthy of its own story and did that walk with snow on the ground a few weeks ago and very picturesque it was indeed :)
Well done on a great report and images :clap: :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri May 17, 2019 8:17 am

dav2930 wrote:Sorry to hear about Hughie's foot JK; maybe he could sue Seaham council (then in turn they could sue the government for starving them of funds)? :roll:

Looked a fine walk on a day of contrasting light, well captured in your photos. Nice to see a shot of Eagle Crag; Karl & me were climbing there on Saturday (it was perishing in the blustery wind :lol: ). :)

Cheers Dav, the glass situation has been addressed in recent weeks, hopefully it won't get as bad again.

Mal Grey wrote:Lovely light, so often the very sunny days don't offer photos with any atmosphere, but sun and shadow makes such a difference. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Mal, I much prefer days like this from a photogenic point of view, always something missing when its a blue sky day.

trailmasher wrote:Nice, very nice Anthony :clap: Great pics and report of a day of good weather. That route is a favourite of mine - apart from the pull up to Birks - and I note that you went on to Gavel Pike, a fine little hill of its own distinction as your photos depict 8) I don't blame you for not doing the climb up to Cofa Pike as its a rough way to go if not continuing on to Fairfield :?
I also concur with you comment re Grisedale, it is indeed worthy of its own story and did that walk with snow on the ground a few weeks ago and very picturesque it was indeed :)
Well done on a great report and images :clap: :clap:

Thanks TM, I was intending on continuing on to Fairfield as a there and back for Cofa Pike looked like more bother than it was worth. Just don't think I had it in my legs on this day to be honest!
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland