walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Reaching 200 on the Loch Laggan threesome.

Reaching 200 on the Loch Laggan threesome.

Postby martin.h » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:41 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chlachair, Geal Chàrn & Creag Pitridh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlachair, Creag Pitridh, Geal chàrn (Laggan)

Date walked: 20/04/2019

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1370m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were hoping, as anybody does when we venture into the hills, that we'd get at least two decent weather days strung together, if we did then I could realise my ambition the get to my 200th Munro, on Good Friday, getting to the top of
Meall Buidhe, left me with three to get me there, I'd looked at the routes around Roybridge that had three M's included on them and it turned out to be a toss-up between the Loch Arkaig 3 or the Loch Laggan 3, the Loch Arkaig route was probably not the best one to go for considering my lack of hill fitness so we decided on the three near Loch Laggan, this too is a long day but a bit less rugged, most of the reports I'd read seem to recommend the use of a bike to get to little Lochan na h- Earba, we didn't have ours so it was going to be walking all the way, at least we'd get the legs warmed up so we decided to give it a go :D

The forecast for Saturday was similar to Friday's which was very encouraging :D I'd hoped that I would get some nice views from the top of my 200th, we've had so many days without in the past, it would be nice to get the views today :wink:

The sun was shining when we set off from the layby on the A86, it was 8.30am, there was a bit of mist hanging about but it was the type that would burn off once it got warmer :D

We set off over the bridge and along the track, route description in hand just to make sure we didn't go wrong, went through the gate after the first bend and started on the long walk to Lochan na h-Earba.

The track is excellent all the way to the lochan, it took us about an hour to cover the distance, less than I thought it would,
we spotted the little cairn at the start of the little short cut and we were off on our mountain adventure :D

Looking back to the lochan

Ruined shielings

Beinn a'Chlachair

About 1.5km past the ruined shielings and further on from the ford marked on the map, there's a cairn marking the spot where you leave the track, there's a path to begin with but that soon disappears and you're left to make your own way up
Beinn a'Chlachair.

Creag Pidridh and Geal Charn from the ascent.

Looking back from whence we came

We followed the W.H route as close as possible but decided to follow the burn on its left bank and crossed it near it's source and traversed across to the rim of Coire Mor a'Chlachair, it was hard work over the tussocks but a little less steep, once on the rim we followed it round, went to the right of the "wart" and carried on to the summit.

Creag Pitridh and Geal Charn from just above the "wart"

Ben Alder group

The approach to the summit is rocky so we took our time, once there the views are superb, we were so thankful to have a day like today :D

Summit Beinn a'Chlachair

Views

We could see Geal Charn and Creag Pitridh away in the distance, the latter was to be my 200th but, crikey, it looked an awful long way off :shock: I had my doubts to be honest, we sat down for a quick munch then set off for Bealach Leamhain.

The initial bit from the summit was over the rocks again so easy does it, there after its a nice walk over easy terrain, once at the steep section above the Bealach the route down is very steep and care is needed to make sure you don't slip or find yourself above a craggy bit, nice and steady, no rushing, is the theme, you can see the way ahead up Geal Charn.

Once in the Bealach we followed the stalkers path to around NN490804 and left it there travelling NE ish initially, once above the steep section we could see the distinct summit cairn in the distance, adjusted our direction slightly and headed more or less directly towards it. I was finding this a bit tiring, the doubt set in again, oh no! :roll: I convinced myself that we've got to get back to the car whatever and Creag Pitridh was in that general direction so "snap out of it" silly so and so and get on with it :lol: we'll have a good break on the summit of Geal Charn and go for it once rested :D

Geal Charn summit.

That's what we did, the views from the summit of Geal Charn are superb, the Cairngorms, the Alder group, the Aonachs, Creag Meagaidh etc all a bit hazy but highlighted with the remaining snow.

Summit views, Creag Pitridh behind the snow.

Beinn a'Chlachair looks miles away,

hard to believe we've just come from there.

Creag Pitridh seemed a lot closer after our well earned lunch break so off we went on rejuvenated legs :D

The walk down to the bealach between the mountains was straight forward even though, in my wisdom, I decided to leave the ridge sooner than we should and found ourselves in boggier rockier terrain lower down :roll: one day I'll learn to stay on route :lol:

In the bealach there's an obvious path leading up Creag Pitridh, from here it looks a difficult climb, it isn't, its great and soon the summit is reached, Munro number 200 for me, ye haw! and the views were pretty good too :clap: :D

Denise took my photo.
[Image

I returned the compliment.

Views, Beinn a'Chlachair

Geal Charn

Pano, Geal Charn, left, Beinn a'Chlachair, right.

I should have had a tot of malt with me to celebrate but forgot, maybe in hindsight it was better without, especially on tired legs, even a small amount of the good stuff has an effect on me :lol:

All that was to do now was the getting down, the walk description says the descent from Creag Pitridh is on a rocky path initially then down grassy slopes, that's exactly what it is, its a bit tussocky lower down so care is needed not to turn an ankle.

The outward path is soon reached and it was a case of getting back to Lochan na h-Earba for a break for us.
At the Lochan we sat on some rocks by the "beach" (great spot :D ) and had a munch

Beach view

Just as we were getting comfortable it began to rain, blummin' 'ummers! up again, jackets on and off we went to get back to the car :roll:
The rain didn't last long enough to dampen the spirits but it did speed up the journey back to the car, we were almost running :wink: :lol:

So, I wanted to get to 200 by the time I got to 60, I've done that now, Denise's 200 is next, she's 9 to do to get there,
We're hoping to get her "catch ups" done asap, once there the next milestone is to compleat together, we've still a lot to do though, I wonder if we'll do it :wink:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Reaching 200 on the Loch Laggan threesome.

Postby Graeme D » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:25 pm

Congratulations on the double century - a real big milestone on the way to the magical 282. I can vouch for the ruined shielings in your third picture as a good camping spot having pitched there back in October while out with a DofE group. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Beaner001 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:30 pm

Well done Marts, that’s a great milestone especially when you consider the distance you have to travel :clap:
Of course you’ll get to the end :D
I’m hoping to make up for lost time this year, never managed any new Munros last year :shock:
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby martin.h » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:34 am

Graeme D wrote:Congratulations on the double century - a real big milestone on the way to the magical 282. I can vouch for the ruined shielings in your third picture as a good camping spot having pitched there back in October while out with a DofE group. :D

Hi Graeme
I'm happy to get to 200, at last, considering I did my first munro in 1974, I must be a good contender for the slowest round ever :lol:
The shielings were a planned spot for stashing the bikes if we used them, no need, we found out, there were bikes in plain sight all over the place :shock: :lol:
Cheers.

Beaner001 wrote:Well done Marts, that’s a great milestone especially when you consider the distance you have to travel :clap:
Of course you’ll get to the end :D
I’m hoping to make up for lost time this year, never managed any new Munros last year :shock:
Cheers

Hi Matt,
Good to hear from you, yes, we're still plugging away at them, slowly but surely :D

We're coming up to Roybridge again on the 18th May for a week, if you fancy getting together to have a go at some new 'uns I'm toying with the idea of a bike n hike up the four munros above Culra bothy if you fancy it?

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Beaner001 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:15 pm

Sorry Marts just picked up your response, yeah sure get in touch nearer the time as it be good to catch up for a hill or two. I’ve still got the same number
Matt
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 07, 2019 1:24 pm

Congratulations on your #200 - a nice way to do it too. Thanks :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby martin.h » Wed May 08, 2019 9:03 am

Beaner001 wrote:Sorry Marts just picked up your response, yeah sure get in touch nearer the time as it be good to catch up for a hill or two. I’ve still got the same number
Matt

Cheers Matt, will do.

rockhopper wrote:Congratulations on your #200 - a nice way to do it too. Thanks :)

Thanks rockhopper,
We're up again later this month, hoping to get Denise to her 200 :D
Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland