walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three Pensioners and 3 Pre Retirees in Mullardoch

Three Pensioners and 3 Pre Retirees in Mullardoch

Postby dibs » Wed May 08, 2019 10:50 am

Munros included on this walk: An Riabhachan, An Socach (Mullardoch), Càrn nan Gobhar (Loch Mullardoch), Sgùrr na Lapaich

Date walked: 04/05/2019

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1951m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well this day had been planned for a few months with a stay in Cannich B&B for 4 of us, Ali, John, Kev and myself. Fife Flyer had been injured for a bit and was not doing his usual weekly walks but decided to do a walk this weekend and when I jogged his memory we were doing the Mullardoch 4, he thought what a great get back in walk, what :crazy: , hey you work it out!! :shock: Maybe if Parminder came too there would be enough folks to carry him out. :lol: Obviously that was not the case as Martin knows my other walking group and it would be a "left to die" (Falkirk Mountaineering Group moto, so I am told by a former member) with maybe a phone call for him.

Anyhow the 3 young ones and myself set off on Friday to Cannich and got something to eat at Drumnadrochet as we know all about the hospitality in a pub in Cannich, where incidentally we had taken the risk of booking a meal for 8:30pm, Saturday with meal choices already selected or we wouldnt get anything. The big question, would we be off the hills by then!

The plan was Martin and Parminder would drive up Saturday morning and meet us at the Dam at 9am for a 9am boat with Angus. So the meeting with the 3 Pensioners and 3 young ones happened as planned and we were on the boat to start our day. A bracing 10 min journey to the other end of the loch and we were off up towards An Socach, what a humph that was, but I knew the day had plenty more of it so just kept going.

Some pics here now of the day with narratives attached for added flavour...

Digs for the weekend, recommended

Last of the summer wine?

The 9am boat ride, it was cold glad we were not on the 8am

Angus are you sure you dont want to come with us! ?? ok, I will see you in the pub tonight which he replied "I hope so" :shock: !!

Parminder making his way up the first ascent to the ridge with the drop off point below us, it must have been cold, he has a jacket on.

Nice view westward to the end of Mullardoch and hopefully some of the weather we were going to get

Socach summit poking its head over the ridge

Starting to cloud over

View of An Socach now that we are on the start of the ridge up.

Summit of An Socach and fairly in the snow and clag now

The way ahead to An Riabhachan

Parminder on the first cairn on An Riabhachan, which came pretty quickly from Socach, but then this is a big long hill with the summit at the other end at 1129m

Martin taking the picture in this one

John taking this picture with his GPS :o :shock: :clap:

Another one from the GPS by John.

Loch Monar and the Achnasheen munros making an appearance

Laipach starting show itself which we knew was going to be the leg killer of the day with losing a good 350m ascent.

A ridge off that I had not researched enough but was ok. :o

A couple of careful manoeuvres :wink: 8)

The pensioners got to the top before the young ones, haha, :lol: :clap:

John just arriving and looking for the revolver again! :shock: :?

The next puzzle was to get off Laipach through the massive boulders with snow in between them and clag, so poor vis!! :?

Carn nan Gobhar now showing the last target of the day, should be easy after what we have achieved. :crazy:

At the bealach looking back at Laipach, not showing itself well in the clag, but it was not great to get off of, hence not many pics. :(

The second cairn on Gobhar which is a couple of meters lower than the true top at 992m

The route down and the hydro track was on the left of the picture

Relaxing after a shift with some midget gems. 8) :clap: :lol:

A good but tough day with very mixed weather, sun hail etc. The Pensioners did well with Martin only requiring drugs. The young ones needed cramp treatment for Kev, some old war wounds for Ali and John, well the revolver was mentioned about 12 times. Great company and as usual many laughs.

I could write another story on the Slaters Arms but we got fed and watered before 8:30, just and we met Angus again too, he was relieved to see us. Never really thought about it before but he doesn't see many of his clients again :shock: That was a comment from our Landlord too, he doesn't often speak to folks after they have done the hills, so he enjoyed the chat as we did on his bus-man's holiday working with timber :clap: 8)

Next at the end of the month is the Glen Affric ones from Strawberry Cottage, cannae wait.
Last edited by dibs on Wed May 08, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

Re: Three Pensioners and 3 Pre Retirees in Mullardoch

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed May 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Nice one George, I recognise a few of the foti's!!

I did a WR too (with far more foti's) but haven't made it public.
It was a shame that every time we reached a summit the cloud descended, I still managed 200 foti's.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby sunshine65 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:04 pm

Great report George and great effort the weather making it harder but for for pensioners bloody fit great example of keeping fit
sunshine65
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:25
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby dibs » Wed May 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one George, I recognise a few of the foti's!!

I did a WR too (with far more foti's) but haven't made it public.
It was a shame that every time we reached a summit the cloud descended, I still managed 200 foti's.

Yes it is becoming the norm these days :(
dibs
Munro compleatist

Postby dibs » Wed May 08, 2019 3:15 pm

sunshine65 wrote:Great report George and great effort the weather making it harder but for for pensioners bloody fit great example of keeping fit

Cheers Stan, did you get these done on Monday?
dibs
Munro compleatist

Postby parminder » Wed May 08, 2019 7:46 pm

Guys thanks for a memorable day out, great script Dibs... :clap: :clap:
parminder
Mountain Walker

Munros:272   Corbetts:23
Fionas:25   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:108   Hewitts:2

Postby dibs » Fri May 10, 2019 6:41 pm

parminder wrote:Guys thanks for a memorable day out, great script Dibs... :clap: :clap:

Thanks Parminder, more training on Sunday :-)
dibs
Munro compleatist

Postby dogplodder » Fri May 10, 2019 9:41 pm

Brought back memories from last July when it was a bit warmer than you got it - and you very wisely did the whole ridge and missed the delights of the lochside path! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland