walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 munros and a corbett from near Rannoch Station

2 munros and a corbett from near Rannoch Station

Postby kleighton » Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 pm

Route description: Beinn Pharlagain, near Rannoch Station

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Dearg (Corrour), Sgòr Gaibhre

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Pharlagain

Date walked: 14/05/2019

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 24 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A brilliant sunny day. The only cool place would be up on the ridges where a gentle breeze was very pleasant. I set off from the layby across the road from the start of the Road to the Isles, signposted Fort William via Corrour. I had decided on these munros from here as I did not want to be rushing to catch the train from Corrour. The track in is pleasant and easy walking. I walked to Carn Dearg first and ascended by its southern ridge. The walk up to the ridge from the track was pathless and a bit of a trudge but i found a good path as I reached the ridge which continued all the way to Sgor Gaibhre. many false summits then a fine summit cairn on Carn Dearg with wonderful views all around. A clear path heads off to the bealach and up to the next summit. Again fine views. Decision time. I set off for Beinn Pharlagain. This was the most difficult part of the day requiring some navigation although there was a very rough intermittent path. I reached the corbett summit after a fairly straightforward descent and reascent bypassing the crags. The only snow of the day was lying just below the cairn.
I dropped to the next bealach then followed a stream down to the valley where after crossing the main burn I followed a track and path back to the Road to the Isles and back to the car.
kleighton
Munro compleatist

Munros:224   Corbetts:27
Fionas:52   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:36   Hewitts:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland