walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A couple of small ones

A couple of small ones

Postby malky_c » Thu May 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Corse Hill, Creag na Criche

Date walked: 05/05/2019

Time taken: 2.25 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 440m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2k Marilyns: Creag na Criche, Corse Hill.
Date: 04 and 05/05/2019.
Distance: 3km + 7.5km.
Ascent: 260m + 180m.
Time taken: 45 minutes + 1 hour, 30 minutes.
Weather: Cool, breezy intermittent sunshine both days.
Corse Hill also involved a 27 mile bike ride.

A mixed bag of walks here, neither quite deserving their own report.

On Saturday, I woke up with a slight hangover from indulging too much in the previous nights beer festival in Nairn. By mid-afternoon I felt a bit more normal, and decided to head down the road. Having said last week that Ben Clach completed a nice line of summits that straddle the Highland Boundary Fault, I noticed that Creag na Criche was also on that line, and I still hadn't been up it. Oops! An easy thing to correct as it isn't very far off the A9.

I rolled up to the lesser-known Glen Shee late afternoon, and it was unexpectedly nice. Funny how little you have to remove yourself from places you are familiar with to find something unexpected.

CnC map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Creag na Criche from Glenshee

I headed up the track which crosses the shoulder of Carn na Criche, cutting the corner on a zigzag to walk over nice grassy slopes. A shortish flat section higher up led me to a gate and a junction, from where I followed a fainter track around the north slopes of the summit.

The Paps from the ascent to Creag na Criche

Towards Perth

East to Birnam Hill

A short diversion through heather from the track took me to the summit. While the views aren't particularly wide ranging, there was plenty to see from the Lomonds to Beinn a' Ghlo.

North across Strathbraan

Lomond Hills in Fife

Beinn a' Ghlo

I decided to take a shorter route down the south face of the hill, avoiding the massive deer fence by heading west through a couple of fields. A full traverse of these hills to Dunkeld would be very pleasant I think.

Then I hit the road to Glasgow, stopping at the Allan Water chippy on the way past.

Sunday had been a lazy start - brunch in our usual pancake place followed by a bit of bumming around town. By 3pm, we decided to make the most of the sunny afternoon and head out on the bikes. Jackie had earmarked Corse Hill as an easy bike/hike effort from her place - probably to be done while she was working on the south side of town. However why not today?

Cycling map

Clearing the endless traffic lights of the centre of Glasgow, we began the gradual ascent to Newton Mearns before leaving the city completely to head over to Eaglesham. The minor road behind Eaglesham became a bit rougher, and the climbs steeper, with good views back to the city and the hills around Loch Lomond.

Glasgow from the Carrot road

Last hill to Carrot

The hill would be bikeable, but Jackie hadn't fancied pedalling her tank of a mountain bike up here, so we decided to lock the bikes up at Carrot and walk to the summit. The initial part has little in the way of views, but the endless forestry is interspersed with pleasant moorland and the odd boulder. Once on a better track higher up, it was an easy stroll through the trees to a more open area with turbines. The summit trig point could be seen from here.

CH map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Heading for Corse Hill

Some nice boulders

Munzie Burn with Glasgow beyond

Which way?!

Theme of the day

The hill has almost no definition whatsoever - the summit just happens to be higher than the surrounding moorland. However the views are not to be sniffed at, with Arran, upper Clydesdale and a reasonable wedge of the Southern Highlands on view. Corserine and Shalloch on Minnoch were just visible peeking over another ridge to the south too.

Summit view

Glasgow with Ben Lomond behind

South to the Rhinns of Kells and Merrick

Arran in the background

Appropriately it was quite breezy up here, and we decided to head back to the bikes. We varied our route home by dropping down close to East Kilbride, through Carmunock and down the edge of the Cathkin Braes. How do you turn an uninspiring hill into a great afternoon out? Like this!

Ready for home
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: A couple of small ones

Postby gld73 » Sun May 19, 2019 12:02 pm

Thought those wind turbines looked familiar - that's Whitelee, the UK's largest onshore wind farm. It's where the "Run the Blades" 10k, Half marathon and 50k Ultra are held. Didn't realise there was a sub2k in amongst there too though! :lol:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland